Body to subframe bushings

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

markinnh
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Body to subframe bushings

Post by markinnh »

I just installed poly bushings that were originally bought for a 1987 K5 Blazer and they are the same size as the stock Astro ones were. Now you will have extras but you could use the 87 K5 as the a base to search for bushing or you can buy the kit for the K5. As for squeaks and such I have no idea as my van is still in the working stages.
always tinkering with stuff

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

I don't know how much you'd want to spend on the handling end of things but i've been toying with the idea myself....of getting the van to handle as if it were on rails. Well I don't need it like it handles on rails but close would be nice. I've been in contact with Morrison Chassis and have talked to them about it. I'm supposed to meet with them at SEMA and discuss it further. If anyone else is interested i'd be more than happy to post up my findings.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

blk lt awd wrote:I don't know how much you'd want to spend on the handling end of things but i've been toying with the idea myself....of getting the van to handle as if it were on rails. Well I don't need it like it handles on rails but close would be nice. I've been in contact with Morrison Chassis and have talked to them about it. I'm supposed to meet with them at SEMA and discuss it further. If anyone else is interested i'd be more than happy to post up my findings.

So what is your idea??.Would you please explain??.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i have actually thought about something along those lines what exactly were you thinking?
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

idea is to basically get a full frame built for the vans. options for suspension have to be discussed. what i talked about was using the factory drive train for my AWD with upgrades for front and rear suspension along with braking upgrades. air ride would also be a possibility. not a cheap proposition by any means but you could probably auto x the van without any problems....

the cheaper option might be to be able to use everything factory but with just a solid frame under the van. i do use the word cheaper loosely though. there are a few quality chassis builders that i'm aware of....i'm sure price would be pretty close to each other as well.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i was thinking about using all the stock stuff just cutting the rails under the body off and mounting it on a custom stainless steel (i've been on a stainless steel kick for the last couple months lol) frame and have the front sub-frame bolt to it basically the same as it does not. the frame would run from the sub-frame right out the back to support bumper, I was thinking more from the repairing rusted under body point of view not handling
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

jeff hosford
I am smitten with my van

Post by jeff hosford »

I to have looked on line for after market frame to body bushings with no success. The only place I could find bushings is the local GM dealer ship. And if I remember correctly the cost was around $200.00dollars. If you find some please let everybody know. I to would like to do the same thing.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

blk lt awd wrote:I don't know how much you'd want to spend on the handling end of things but i've been toying with the idea myself....of getting the van to handle as if it were on rails. Well I don't need it like it handles on rails but close would be nice. I've been in contact with Morrison Chassis and have talked to them about it. I'm supposed to meet with them at SEMA and discuss it further. If anyone else is interested i'd be more than happy to post up my findings.
One of the things I found out while designing and have drawn up the frame for the Pro Mod Street van's frame is it is hard to find a aftermarket frame builder that builds a back haft with a fast raise for the rear end and then falls back down as fast to fit the Astro body and maintains the Astro's wheel base.Chris Alston Chassisworks was the only one I found that build that.The other thing that needs consideration is these back hafts are only as strong as the roll bar/roll cage that is welded to them connecting the front to the back.The personal proof of that is a sub that I welded into a Monza.While the frame was in there by it's self,I could hit it with a hammer and it would ring like a bell.As I added the 6 point roll bar to it,it got tighter and more solid.Once I was done with the roll bar and hit it with a hammer,it resulted in just a thud.So the roll bar/roll cage is a major part of the structure.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=490&p=9622&hilit=Pro+Mod#p9622
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY