Camperizing an Astro/Safari AWD

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

wkastro
I get chills without my van.

Re: Camperizing an Astro/Safari AWD

Post by wkastro »

Thanks for the seat swivel work, Herbie. I did not realize the racks had an arc as well as an incline. I missed that meeting. I need to get my garage insulated & finished before I kick off my project. Hopefully I can get it far enough along before the weather shuts me down here in 48116.
2003 Astro AWD bought in January 2009
103,000 miles, Trucool 4590, ScanGageII, Michelin LTX 215/70R16, Tekonsha P3

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:
1994 Astro AWD (sold in 1996, 50,000 miles in 2 years)
1992 Astro RWD (bought from GM fleet, traded for AWD in 1994)

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

Herbie wrote:
wkastro wrote:Great drawings, J Henry, inspirational, even! Has anyone had a better idea for propane and house battery location? I have been leaning towards a barn-door vehicle, with the spare mounted outside on the door. This frees up some room where the spare used to be, for a house battery or two, and a propane tank well in the floor. I have crawled all over my '03 AWD and can't think of anything better.
Yes, spare tire location is a bummer for the Dutch Doors. I have looked and schemed, and short of a full custom swing-away bumper, there's just no way to get the spare out from underneath, and even the swing-away will create some new limitations (I like being able to swing the lower doors a full 180 degrees, for example). For now, I'm leaving my spare where it is and focusing on maximizing space elsewhere. For example, I have a 36"x19"x9.5" space under my conversion van bench/bed. I can either fit a pair of drawers, or a water tank in that space. I'm currently leaning towards the water tank, with the added "input factor" being that Sportsmobile owners report problems with exterior water supplies and plumbing freezing in certain climates...
I have the similar opinion, on spare location, and was looking at retro fitting the body mounted spare tire holder from a Blazer.... I hate having the tire under the van, exposed to weather and out of sight our of mind as too tire pressure and condition when I actually need to use it... with barn doors now on latest van, just a passenger door spare tire holder would work, but still really like the look of the Blazer swing out spare tire holder better.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

gabequest
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by gabequest »

This summer I added a kitchen insert from an 87 westfalia. I'll have to do a write up soon, but way too busy. With that installed, there is not much room for a bed. I modified the ford bench seat/bed I already had in there, and added an ottiman (sp?) with a hinged extension to allow for fridge opening.

I currently have a ceiling height problem; passengers easily bump heads. Don't know if a high top would allow for too much frame twisting.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Looking forward to a quick write up, GQ, with some pics. Sounds great. =D>
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

gabequest wrote:
Don't know if a high top would allow for too much frame twisting.

It might. My hightop actually has a few vertical cracks in it that I figure are due to the van flexing. (And mine hasn't spent much time off-road.) Granted, these cracks might also be due to a poor quality top or improper installation, but I'v also noticed strange creaks while driving down gravel roads if the slider isn't fully closed too. I think my van is flexier than I would like....
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

mdmead wrote: I think my van is flexier than I would like....
A set of rock sliders will cure this. :poke: (Another project for wifey! :muhaha: )
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Dean,

What actually would improve the body flex short of a roll cage? I can't quite pull the trigger on any "top" mods because of this. Not that I wheel often, but I'd like not to F-up the top if I do.
2004 Astro AWD
4inch Overland lift, 265/70/16, Poptop Colorado CamperVan, 11inch Roof Fan, Custom Bumper...more to come on the interior

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

A set of Rock Rails tied onto the rear spring hangers make a big difference in the flex. You could get a shop out in CA to build you a set using my plans I have posted on here.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:A set of Rock Rails tied onto the rear spring hangers make a big difference in the flex. You could get a shop out in CA to build you a set using my plans I have posted on here.
I'm glad to hear this, as I've been hoping some sort of solution would present itself. Three times now I have been unable to close my upper dutch door while parked on my side-sloping driveway due to body flex. The first time it happened, I had a couple thousand pounds of concrete pavers in the back, so I assumed that was the problem. (Edit: And this was before I cut the roof for the pop-top.) The last two times the van was essentially empty, but I had parked just "wrong" so that the slope of the driveway was apparently racking the van just enough that once opened, the dutch door couldn't close.

Your Rock Rails are already "on the list", I just need to make time with my fabricator to have him do the work. (I bartered for IT support! :guitar: )
Last edited by Herbie on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

Herbie,
Standing room in the stro just ain't gonna happen, is it? Seems all pop tops on stro's do not allow for this. Thoughts?

gabe
2004 Astro AWD

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

gabequest wrote:Herbie,
Standing room in the stro just ain't gonna happen, is it? Seems all pop tops on stro's do not allow for this. Thoughts?

gabe
I think it depends on the top and how tall you are.

I don't have my notes, but IIRC the unmodified "standing" height in the passenger area is like 47", which isn't really "standing" room, but is enough to move about at a stoop (useful for putting baby in car seat, for example). The tallest Astro fiberglass top I've seen is 16", so that takes you to roughly 63", which is a "duck" height for all but the shortest among us.

My GTRV top, though, with the bed platform raised up or slid rearward offers well over 6' headroom towards the aft end and probably closer to 8' at the front end. And the foremost section is ALWAYS open, since the access portal doesn't get covered by the bed platform (however this is up between the front seats.) Doesn't necessarily help you when setup for sleeping, but would be good if you needed to cook in the van, and definitely makes putting your pants on easier!
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

gabequest

Post by gabequest »

So what you're saying is you are gonna come up to Marin and install one for me! I love that idea!!!
2004 Astro AWD

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

I am assuming no one will put a penthouse style top on an astro, or at least it is too much cash? That could probably add a couple inches.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Wiley wrote:I am assuming no one will put a penthouse style top on an astro, or at least it is too much cash? That could probably add a couple inches.
I suspect that with the more or less "unibody" construction of the Astro, removing that much of the roof might make things pretty floppy. See my build thread for pics. To transplant the GTRV "westy style" top, I had to cut two of the reinforcing ribs out of the roof. I bet removing one or both of the remaining ribs would require quite a bit of extra reinforcement. I considered trying to "modify" my arrangement, but after looking at how it went together, I decided to just stick with what GTRV had done.

They can get away with a penthouse top on a fullsize van because it's more of the traditional body/frame arrangement where the bulk of the rigidity is theoretically in the frame.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Herbie wrote:
Wiley wrote:I am assuming no one will put a penthouse style top on an astro, or at least it is too much cash? That could probably add a couple inches.
I suspect that with the more or less "unibody" construction of the Astro, removing that much of the roof might make things pretty floppy. See my build thread for pics. To transplant the GTRV "westy style" top, I had to cut two of the reinforcing ribs out of the roof. I bet removing one or both of the remaining ribs would require quite a bit of extra reinforcement. I considered trying to "modify" my arrangement, but after looking at how it went together, I decided to just stick with what GTRV had done.

They can get away with a penthouse top on a fullsize van because it's more of the traditional body/frame arrangement where the bulk of the rigidity is theoretically in the frame.
Thanks that makes sense. And I have seen your van, I love it, though now I want one :(
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley