Front door upper tweeter install w/pics

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
slim724
I get chills without my van.

Front door upper tweeter install w/pics

Post by slim724 »

A long time ago I was at the junkyard, and scored the plastic speaker grill domes that match my interior. They replace the blank plugs that everyone always asks "what are these for", or "what goes there?"

I was at the junkyard recently for a power window motor, while there I thought I might as well look around for speakers to fit, since I was already going to be in there replacing the motor, and it was going to be raining all day. Here is some of what I went home with.

The upper left speaker is Nokia, out of a newer (late 90's?) BMW dashboard
lower left is OEM AC Delco
left middle is Bose, out of a 2001 Mazda Millenia
right middle is Clarion, out of a 90's? Lexus door pillars
far right is not branded out of a honda, can't remember the make or model I think they were in the dashboard

I wanted to use the factory wiring harness/plug in the door, so I tried to find the matching plugs from another GM vehicle. I found what i thought were matching plugs from a Grand Am, and Grand Prix. After I got home I tried them out and they didn't fit, they were close, but didn't fit. After closer examination I noticed that a simple mod with an old rusty hacksaw would allow them to fit

Now that I had the wiring part squared away, I went about testing all the speakers professionally in my garage by putting in different types of music I listen to in the CD player, and turning it up real loud, and the speaker that sounds the best to me wins!

Nokia- nice range, sounds great, very loud compared to the others, not a tweeter but highs are pretty crisp in my system already
OEM AC Delco- pretty low volume, hissy sounding
Bose- Louder than oem highs, a little hiss, pretty good sounding
Clarion- basically in between the AC Delco and Bose for everything, which is pretty damn good given the tiny size of it
Honda- barely audible complete crap

For the types of music I listen to and volumes I like it at, the Nokia speaker was it for me, yeah Nokia as in the gigantic telephone manufacturer! The Bose was really close, but as I said, I have crisp highs already, and the Nokia speaker had a much fuller range of sound, and was much louder

Now all I had to do was figure out how to mount it, was like twice the size of the other speakers. Here is some pics of it next to the OEM AC Delco

It seemed to me that it would fit by eyeballin it, so I started the process of cutting up the mounting area to make it fit. Dremel is your friend here

First I traced the area I wanted to cut out so that it would set flush against the felt ring mounting surface

I ran into a problem, the mounting holes on the speaker are too wide to mount, they hit the edge of the mounting area, so I drilled more holes since there appeared to be pilot holes already there!

then just mark the holes to mount and drill

Found 4 matching screws, and mounted them

put everything back together, and it all fit with no clearance issues

I'm no audiophile, and I know I didn't install tweeters, I just put in what sounds good to me. I've gotten all my speakers out of the junkyard and have had pretty good luck. I've got Sony X-plod in the front doors, Boston Acoustics in the rear pillars, and Polk Audio in the dutch doors running out of an Alpine head unit, system sounds pretty good to me but could use a little more bass. I may install an amp since I have 2 in the garage, and see what that does for low end I just didn't want to lose any space, and I may still mount those other tweets, either the Clarions or Bose, in that plastic triangle piece behind the side view mirrors, more projects for a rainy day.
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Front door upper tweeter install w/pics

Post by mdmead »

Nice install and write-up! =D>
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

nice mod, mine has the factory tweeters but i also have alpines in the door with built in tweeters. dont you know your armrests on the door are supposed to be all cracked and ugly by now?
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
slim724
I get chills without my van.

Post by slim724 »

Oh I have cracks on the drivers side armrest, and the passenger side is starting to appear mis-shapened like it's warped on all the edges, I've never seen a drivers side armrest without cracks, what are they good for? Like 5000 miles?
ImageImageImage

1999 Astro 7-Passenger Van
Federal Government Fleet Vehicle
Cadet Blue 4.3L V6
Rear A/C & Heat
RWD G80 posi with 3.42 gears
40,000 miles

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Thanks for taking the time to write that up and add pics slim, well done :supz:

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Awesome post, Slim. Yet another post that makes ASV such a worth while read for me. Thanks.

And apparently the armrests can go 65,000miles before cracking.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

great install pics and writeup!! ... more details on the cherokee ? lol

slim724 wrote:Oh I have cracks on the drivers side armrest, and the passenger side is starting to appear mis-shapened like it's warped on all the edges, I've never seen a drivers side armrest without cracks, what are they good for? Like 5000 miles?
LOL.. I thought i may have got the ONE good armrest out of millions in my 99 but, it too started cracking this summer ](*,)
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

cfs
I am merely driving my van

Post by cfs »

Thank you for the post and pics- I have to replace mine cause they're blown. My question is do the speaker panels come straight out after you remove the phillips head screw ?

cfs

Post by cfs »

To remove speaker panel, Do you remove the door pull screws or just the one screw and clips ?