Experimenting with Spray Paint

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Experimenting with Spray Paint

Post by 6spd_monte »

This thread is about paint, but it's not on my van so that's why it's in Off Topic. Mods please feel free to move it if you think it would be more appropriate in INTERIOR/EXTERIOR.

Recently I was inspired to try my hand at painting. I have the perfect car to practice on, my four door 1972 Chevelle. It's kind of a beater so I figured I can't really make it look any worse. I decided the trunk lid would be a good size thing to paint so I gave it a try.

Now, I'm not talking about buying a spray gun and automotive paint by the quart. I'm talking about aerosol spray paint. I've heard about people painting cars like this and I know people have varying opinions on the topic. My goal here is to show you all what I'm doing, and to ask questions because I really don't know what I'm doing.

Stand by. Story, pictures and a question are coming shortly...
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: Experimenting with Spray Paint

Post by 6spd_monte »

This is what I started with:

After some wet sanding with 240 grit paper:

Two coats of primer, wet sanded with 600 between coats:

And two coats of color, wet sanded with 1000 between coats:

See those stripes? That's the problem. I like the color but I don't know what I'm doing wrong to get the stripes. Am I doing something wrong, or can they be sanded out?

This is the paint I'm using. The Olive color.
Krylon
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

Wow. That last pic is very dramatic!
I can only start to guess.

Are you sanding with a piece of sandpaper and your bare hands/fingers?
Are you sanding only or 90% in a left-to-right motion?

Perhaps your coats are really thick and you're sanding too soon as well.

That's all I got for now :-k
(I do have some links to painting on the cheap/DIY somewhere....)

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

I think Loopie is dead on with his diagnosis.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

loopie wrote:Wow. That last pic is very dramatic!
I can only start to guess.
Yes I think loopie is right as well.

Hey loopie what size wheel are you running on your Astro?? That looks great. I'd like to swap out a set for my wife's white van in my signature below.
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

loopie wrote:Are you sanding with a piece of sandpaper and your bare hands/fingers?
Are you sanding only or 90% in a left-to-right motion?

Perhaps your coats are really thick and you're sanding too soon as well.
I'm not sanding with my bare hands. I don't have a real sanding block, so I've been wrapping the paper around a grout sponge.

Contrary to the stripes, most of my sanding has been in a front to back pattern. But, I have been changing it up from front-back, to left-right to diagonals.

I think you're on to something with the too thick comment. I can see the stripes a soon as the paint goes on, and then it just dries like that.

I could do another coat with more distance between the can and the panel and see how that comes out. Should I sand this coat before spraying another?

Also, I agree that your wheels look terrific on your van.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I can't comment on your problem, but I have a bit of experience getting a decent paint job with aerosols.

I once did some fiberglass work on one of my snowmobile hoods and decided to repaint with spray cans. I searched around various stores looking for cheap cans in the right color. I eventually ended up using either an Ace or True Value house brand called Oriental Yellow which was a god match for Ski Doo yellow.

I did a scuff sand on the fiberglass, then painted with the stores matching primer. I scuffed it and then started laying the yellow down. I must have put down 20 coats before I was done. After each coat I'd scuff it lightly, or a little harder if I was finding dust or other imperfections. In the end I built it up thick enough to where I could do the final wet sanding and then polishing with off-the-shelf polishing compound.

My biggest problem was orange peel and I had to do a lot of wet sanding to smooth it. A couple of places I busted through the paint and had to touch it up, sand and polish again. (But with spray paint, that is easy!)

It was a long process, but in the end, came out looking really good. Without some type of clear, it never was quite as shiny as it could have been, but certainly looked better than a typical aerosol spray job. I went on to add late-model Ski-Doo hood graphics and that made it look even better.

I've thought about applying this process to my 74 Bronco. I thought maybe if I went panel by panel, I could get it looking a bit better, taking care of the rust spots as I went along.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

One thought regarding your paint problem... What about letting it dry for a week or so and then try a bit of wet sanding. The underlying paint can take a really long time to dry and that may be what is causing the color differences, i.e., a lower thicker wet coat is wicking up each time you spray because it isn't fully dry.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

That may be true. I've been following the directions on the can as far as drying and recoat times, which at this point means I need to wait untl next Monday night for another coat. The instructions say recoat within 24 hours or after seven days.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

looks like tiger stripes in the paint are from holding the spraycan too close to the surface. I like the $50 paintjobs in a bright colour ( to help hide the sanding marks and bodywork ). A DA buffer/polisher will go a long way to bring up the shine. If you just want it clean use some satin white rustoleum or tractor paint like the rat-rod guys and roll it on cut with paint thinner. Really read the links in the post above and there are some great ideas.

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I did read through the links Loopie posted. There's some really good info and some nice looking results, but I'm looking for a flat/satin type of finish. The rolled on cars all have a glossy shine to them, which looks great but is not what I'm after. The stripes look slightly less noticeable tonight, so perhaps they'll clear up as the paint cures. Or maybe I'm imagining it. I think I'll give it a week and see how it looks, then if it's still stripy I'll try to fix it.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

6spd_monte wrote:...I'm looking for a flat/satin type of finish. The rolled on cars all have a glossy shine to them, ...
That's paint choice.
If you want flat or satin...I'm guessin' you'll need to practice your spraying technique....or REALLY practice the roll techique for that final coat.
From the links...you want the paint to "level itself".

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Those stripes look like you were working to close to surface. It take alot of practice with rattle cans but it can be done by overlaping very carefully. You may want to check out Hot Rod mags article on painting with a roller if you're on a real tight budget. Can get a great paint job for around $150.00 but takes alot of sanding for final finish.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Whatever method you decide to go with James, please take some pics as this could no doubt help someone else down the road :cheers: