Experimenting with Spray Paint

Non technical and off-topic discussion

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Re: Experimenting with Spray Paint

Post by lockdoc »

IMO the stripes are a result of two things. One, and not really the main one, is the inexperience of painting with a can. The second and main reason is BECAUSE you are using a can. The mixture in most canned paint along with the narrow spray pattern makes it almost impossible to paint large areas. It just dries too fast. The over spray or outer edge of the paint spray is partially dry by the time it hits the surface leaving a duller finish. The paint needs to stay wet as you are painting for the nice glossy finish. If you apply enough coats you can wet sand and buff it and it should look nice. You can wet sand it within hours most of the time since it is usually "quick drying".
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Topic author
6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I allowed the paint to cure, then I sanded it with a green scotch brite pad and I applied two more coats. I sanded between each coat and after the last one was dry and I changed my spraying technique. I sprayed in a front-back motion instead of left-right, and I increased the distance between the can and the panel, and I moved the can a little bit faster. This looks better, but I can still see some slight stripes in it. Perhaps some wet sanding will clean it up more, I'll post another picture after that, but this is good enough for now.

-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

James,
How are you ? I gotta tell you, just cleaning it up (first pic) was impressive. That really brought back the color along with some cool character too. I would have been interested in just doing the whole car that way, then laying some wax over it.
If you decide you'd like someone with an actual spray gun go over it, let me know. I have a good friend Don that is an out of work auto body teacher that paints cars on the side cheap, cheap, cheap. He is often at Fuddruckers, I can introduce you two.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

I know a few of these links, very interesting. Rick is actually a friend of mine, we both have falcons. Rolling on the paint, then sanding to a high gloss is fantastic. It works so well, people are amazed. When you think of it, even people with a spray gun do the same, just a bit less sanding.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box