p0507 code and bad fuel economy

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
huntnfreak
I am merely driving my van

p0507 code and bad fuel economy

Post by huntnfreak »

Help me!!! You guys have any suggestions? 2000 Safari rear wheel drive with 188k on it (just bought the van recently). Running good and came back from a 2 hour trip and code popped up. P0507. Gradually getting harder on fuel. Sluggish response at take off but will go if shove the throttle down. Looked under doghouse and didn't spot any noticeable leaky hoses. PVC valve ok. Fluid levels are fine. Dirty throttle body? Dirty Idle Air Control valve? How would I know if had a leaky intake?

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: p0507 code and bad fuel economy

Post by MountainManJoe »

DTC P0507 is fast idle. The things you mentioned would affect that so take apart your intake and see if anything is out of place. Put your ear to it and listen for a hiss. You could also try spraying some carb cleaner (or spray lube but it's messier) around it to see if revs go up.

I don't believe the 2000's have an idle air control valve.

Topic author
huntnfreak

Post by huntnfreak »

Yeah, gonna tackle that in next couple of days. This is the part that I think we love to hate about these vans is getting inside and personal with the mid part of the engine...gettin my big head in there to get close enough to listen let alone see!! Mirrors and lights I guess. I have some throttle body cleaner to give it a try. The air filter was like mud when I changed it after buying the van so maybe that's the issue. Also called the dealership about the IAC valve and they gave me a price for one so leads me to believe it had one.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I've been wrong before. Once or twice. O:)

Topic author
huntnfreak

Post by huntnfreak »

Well I think I figured out my fuel economy issue at least. Put the snow tires on about that time and got to thinking the tires are 225/75-15 and the van takes 215/75-15 so I'm sure that didn't help. They usually don't lose traction but sure gonna beat up my mileage. Oh well good weighs out the bad.Haven't had the code error come up since cleaning the throttle body so I think all's well otherwise

Topic author
huntnfreak

Post by huntnfreak »

May have solved another mystery. I filled up the other day and was going to work the following day when the fault code returned. When the dash light came on so did the one in my head. I had choked the fuel tank pretty full (good fuel price) and the fault may have been generated due to the overfill getting into the EVAP system. Make sense to any of you????