OK I know I keep asking questions but...............

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

OK I know I keep asking questions but...............

Post by markmitchinnh »

I did a transmission flush and filter change because the transmission goes into reverse as it is suppose to but when put in drive or overdrive it hesitates a few seconds. Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? And maybe how I can fix it?
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Re: OK I know I keep asking questions but...............

Post by 6spd_monte »

Well, from what I know of automatic transmissions, a hesitation or delay when engaging drive or reverse is usually due to low fluid pressure in the trans. I do not know why it would only have the delay in Drive but not Reverse, but I suspect that changing the fluid and filter probably did not fix it.
My Chevelle has the same symptom, but in Reverse only. It's been that way for years and it still runs fine.

I understand this reply probably doesn't help you much, but at least it'll get your topic back up to the top and maybe someone with more info will chime in.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

97TurboAstro
I am smitten with my van

Post by 97TurboAstro »

Install the TransGo 4L60E-HD2 kit. One step of the instructions tells you to grind on the shift valve. The comments say that it gets the tranny out of reverse quicker.

Be sure to add a bottle of Lube Gard when you re-fill

If you don't have the 4L60E, I think there is a similar Reprogram kit for the 700R4/4L60.
Ron
Nevada, TX
1997 Emerald Green Astro w/ a few mods
wearing-out tires

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Have a look, may provide some info for you...http://web.archive.org/web/200304030643 ... owtran.pdf

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Mark, fill in your signature with the year of your van. It will help in diagnosis suggestions.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....