Paint or Wrap?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
DerekBell
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Paint or Wrap?

Post by DerekBell »

On the to-do list for the Astro re-hab is an exterior spruce-up. Most obviously I have been thinking of a new coat of white paint.

But it seems that vinyl wrapping of vehicles has developed beyond being just a rolling billboard for Company XYZ. There are lots of new small businesses that have the where-with-all to design, print and apply a truly personalized wrap.

Now I'm thinking of simply apply some primer for protection, and the wrap with a design. The thought being is that I would have an exterior as unique as the mods that have installed. Just a quick couple of examples:

ImageImageImage
2000 AWD, 195K miles
Stock 3.42, one legger
Biltsteins in front, Ranchos in back
Helwig Rear Anti-sway
HID + Clear Lenses

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: Paint or Wrap?

Post by GnarliSafari »

my friend does that for a living, but i dont think it would adhere properly to primer...
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Our state snowmobile association had an enclosed snowmobile trailer wrapped. It was far from a perfect job. Looks good from a distance, and honestly, it is a trailer with lots of things to work around so it doesn't need to be perfect, but I'd caution to make sure you see some prior jobs from the company and make sure if there are any blems they will fix or re-do to your satisfaction.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

completely agree with the above comments.

some look great but the actual wrap job sucks, peels, doesn't line up 100%. others, where the company installing it is meticulous, look fantastic.

the benefit to it is that if and when you ever decide to sell the vehicle, the wrap can be removed which may open up the market of potential buyers, rather than limited market with custom paint
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*