who knows the low down on 3rd Brake lights?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

who knows the low down on 3rd Brake lights?

Post by batmo »

Im wondering if the factory third brake lights for the dutch doors and cargo doors are the same unit and also if they are true leds or just look like it.

also has anyone added one to an older cargo door van that has any tips?

seen one too many rear end collisions lately and Im considering adding one on the solar safari. I want it to strobe constantly while on also.. that should help also, no?

thanks

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: who knows the low down on 3rd Brake lights?

Post by Smiliesafari »

They are LED's.......they fasten to the roof.........I don't see a retro fit being any problem.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

Smiliesafari wrote:They are LED's.......they fasten to the roof.........I don't see a retro fit being any problem.

are you certain that they are LEDs and not simulated LED look? seems like an odd question but I have seen this type of LED knock-off before and the astros and safaris Ive spotted with them on the road since Ive been observing them they dont appear all that bright.

obviously they fasten to the roof.. HHahaha!

so again, is the dutch door version and the cargo door version of the factory third brake lights the same or different?

thanks

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I disassembled mine because I was curious. They are LED's. I don't know if they are different.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

Canadavan did a retro fit on his old van by mounting a tri light in each back window on his barn doors. He hooked them up to the wires in each tail light I think they even flashed with the turn signals. Reaper might remember more as he bought the van off Todd.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

Kidhauler wrote:Canadavan did a retro fit on his old van by mounting a tri light in each back window on his barn doors. He hooked them up to the wires in each tail light I think they even flashed with the turn signals. Reaper might remember more as he bought the van off Todd.
thats not retro, thats custom. and needs a module that is available at most truck cap/camper stores that ties into the wirring of both sides to keep it from coming on with the turn signals on vehicles like these vans that use a common brake and signal light.

Ive allways hated the 3rd lights but since they have been arround so long now it occurred to me that many newer (and pre-occupied) drivers may need these extra indicators and might be inclined to not notice traditional brake lights.

still need to know if the two are the same. I can probably make them brighter somehow and will definately add a constant strobe to them aswell. Ive seen a couple of cars that have a flashing 3rd lt. and theres no mistaking them.

Drooler
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Drooler »

Had an 88 that I retro'd a third light on it. Got mine from a bone yard. The one I harvested had inserts in the roof and I took those also. Had to drill holes in roof and using small file make the holes square for the inserts. Took the wiring harness past the connector and the ground to the chassis. Ran power to front of van and to stop light switch. Worked just like stock and looked stock also. was really easy to do & only cost about $20 plus my time - which was counted as fun time.
Drooler
aka
HarryB
1988 Astro CL 172K miles Factory F&R Sway bars stock except
for 15x7 GM Alloys with 225x70 tires.
RIP 1994-2010 driven 140K. Time, wear, and my health sent it
to the trade in block 9/10/10.