sad day, took my 95 to scrap

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
patgizz
I get chills without my van.

sad day, took my 95 to scrap

Post by patgizz »

it was inevitable. miles, a life of hard work, and road salt had taken their toll. for the last couple months my 95 astro has been off the road and used as a shed. i aired up the flat tire, hooked up the jumpers, shot some starting fluid into the throttle body, and it popped and caught on fire, trying to tell me "please do not take me there to die, i'll probably be turned into a new honda." put out the fire, sprayed more fluid, another pop and another fire. i think it started crying at that point, or maybe that was melting snow from the fire. one last blast of starting fluid, and it started up for me. it smoked for a while but settled down for me. i pulled it over to the garage and cleaned out the stuff being stored and all my loose change and tools, cut off the converter, and went inside to get the title. nowhere to be found. i think the van hid it while i was sleeping so i could not take it in. an hour later i arrived home with replacement title, $16 lighter in the wallet. i called my mom to follow me to the recycler and while i waited for her i pulled off the new heater fan and wiper motor. it barely had enough gas to make the 15 mile ride, and tipped the scale at 4,280 lbs with the scrap i tossed in the back. i drove off the scale and parked it next to a dumpster, went in and got my check, all the while feeling dirty for selling off my companion for the last 3 years to be attacked by madmen with torches and giant machines with claws. but there comes a time when every good van gets sore, tired, and needs to rest. as i walked out the gate i looked back to see my trusted partner being carried away by a large forklift, my pocket $513 heavier, my heart exponentially emptier.

stay thirsty, my friend.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: sad day, took my 95 to scrap

Post by ihatemybike »

:cry:
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

:withstupid: it's sad but sometimes there is no saving them
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

Jesus dude, I almost busted out a tear there.
Did she have a name?

Peter

chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

I know how you feel.I bought this van to fix mine.It was literally junk underneath from rust.And when the day came to take her to the big car show in the sky I was very sad.I had grown attached to her in only the couple weeks she was here.I knew when I took off parts to fix mine and I got saddened as it became the wreck and mine was healed.My wife said as we loaded her up on the trailer she was sad and she could tell I was upset.She said it is like a death in the family.It was a sign i think the only things good on that van went into mine.Seats, front end.Her engine will end up in a boat.Those two vans were kindred spirits.Niether was complete but together they are whole again.And believe it or not I choking back a tear now just thinking about her.
van scrap 2.jpg
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

i'm getting ready to take in my 99 crown vic p71 this week, which i have had just as long as the astro. same fate - road salt killed it. this one is harder i think, because it only has 77k miles and runs so nice. but there are gaping rot holes in the frame. i have been putting it off but i need to get some $ quick, so it has to happen. the astro money bought new used wheels and tires for my dually, a new transmission for it, and there is still $150 left to help with my house payment.

not sure if you can see this if i link it but this is a pic my mom put on her facebook that she took while driving the 98 white astro, following me to the scrapyard in the blue 95

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 9027_n.jpg

chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

Yes the pic worked no wonder it killin you it looked good
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.