what to look for in an AWD

Topic author
patgizz
I get chills without my van.

what to look for in an AWD

Post by patgizz »

with baby coming in april, i am attempting to save some money to buy another late 90's van. something in the $1500-2000 range, which around here can get me a really nice 120-140k mile van on a good day. sometimes they even dip to $1000. the 96 4x4 3/4 ton project is almost complete, and admittedly it is cool as hell, but i never intended to drive it daily, with the carbed v8, lift, heavy springs, etc... it was meant to be an exercise in assembling something out of all the crap i had laying around and turning it into a cool toy that could go in the woods to get firewood or tow the boat up the ramp out of lake erie.

this begs the question though. what do i look for in a used AWD? i am not looking specifically for 2wd or awd, but i want to be armed with knowledge on problem points of the awd system should i come across the right van. i already know about astros in general, but all 4 that i have owned have been or at least started life as 2wd.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: what to look for in an AWD

Post by mdmead »

patgizz wrote:with baby coming in april, i am attempting to save some money to buy another late 90's van. something in the $1500-2000 range, which around here can get me a really nice 120-140k mile van on a good day. sometimes they even dip to $1000. the 96 4x4 3/4 ton project is almost complete, and admittedly it is cool as hell, but i never intended to drive it daily, with the carbed v8, lift, heavy springs, etc... it was meant to be an exercise in assembling something out of all the crap i had laying around and turning it into a cool toy that could go in the woods to get firewood or tow the boat up the ramp out of lake erie.

this begs the question though. what do i look for in a used AWD? i am not looking specifically for 2wd or awd, but i want to be armed with knowledge on problem points of the awd system should i come across the right van. i already know about astros in general, but all 4 that i have owned have been or at least started life as 2wd.
Up to '98, there aren't really any concerns with the AWD system. Lower miles the better. I'd just make sure to take the van on a slippery surface to ensure it works. Visual inspections for a leaking t-case and front diff. Check the fluid level and consistency.

On the newer electronic t-cases, make sure the ATC fuse isn't blown. Again, take it somewhere slippery and check its function.

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of the viscous AWD system vs. the newer electronic unit. They seem to require lesss repair, probably due to the fact they don't have any pesky electrical parts to deal with!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

The electronic AWD (99+) gets you better fuel economy.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I don't know about that...my 98 and 2003 AWD's got the same mileage with the same gears and stock tires running the same roads.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

timelessbeing wrote:The electronic AWD (99+) gets you better fuel economy.
I don't have any experience with that, but my '96 Hi-Top routinely got 18-20 mpg. I think the sticker showed 21 mpg highway when I bought it and I hit that on one trip in Nevada cruising at 75 mph.
Matt
Selah, WA

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

How can that be? The pre-99s are driving the front wheels all of the time.

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

It seems both version drive the front wheels and the e version simply connects the two at various times.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Meterpig is correct. The front end axle components ALWAYS turn in an AWD Astro or Safari. There is no axle disconnect and that is why there is no difference in mileage between the 2 different AWD systems provided all other factors are the same.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

my uncle gave me an 02 s10 transfer case the other day, that might come in handy if i do pick one up, eh?

i like to be able to select 4lo when not on pavement or gravel.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I guess you're right. Even though NV136 doesn't directly drive the front axle on dry pavement, the motor still pushes the front wheels along road thereby rotating all that mass.

BUT, the older Borg Warner 4472s are filled with that viscous material and perhaps that would rob some of the power.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I'm not sure what the difference is between older (96-98) and newer vans... doesn't appear to be anything on paper (excluding the t-case on later AWDs)... but it seems the later vans just don't get as good as mileage. And I don't just mean AWDs. It seems the 2wds suffer as well. I have nothing scientific, but just in reading mileage results posted on this site. My guess is... assuming I'm even right... is that it is due to different computer calibrations. (And it seems some of the older vans do even better on mileage than my favorite years. But there are engine and transmission differences on those models.)
Matt
Selah, WA

Meterpig
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Meterpig »

I wonder if the newer vans get worse mileage for the same reason as many engine that don't change design over the years-emissions.

Motors nowadays are lightweight and snazzy to deal with emissions requirement (run on less fuel).

My 5000lb dodge truck with giant tires, full time locked front monster axle and crappily tuned motor gets 15. To get 15 with the van, I have to work at it even with FI and full ECU.
What do you think of my quest to swap transfer cases to the venerable BW4472?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9962

Photos including tear down for intake gaskets (PITA)
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSjRG/i-bHzD6cz

Topic author
patgizz

Post by patgizz »

well, no AWD for me. will just have to get my monster 4x4 done.

we went pretend car shopping online as we have kinda been waiting for the right deal to fall into our laps for the wife to get a nice newer car(her 02 cavalier has 140k miles and is kinda beat up). we found a listing that looked great, went to take a look at it, and came home with a 2005 buick rendezvous with 60k miles, so there's the new baby hauler. and my sister gets the cavalier which is leaps and bounds better than her 97 lumina that i bought as a $200 wreck a few years ago.

works out in the end, the payments are next to nothing, 0 down, and i can concentrate on the big astro.

Ozarker
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Ozarker »

Hmmm, I'm looking at an 04 with 1074XX on it. I have been seeing those 20 mpg figures, does this mean an 04 won't get near that? What should I expect.....as if I have not asked this question elsewhere...what do you guys think? And, electronic gizzmos, are they a problem?

Thanks!

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

To get 20 mpg in an AWD is hard to do in the area I am at which is central New York. If you live in a relatively flat area I see no reason why you couldn't get 20 mpg. As far as electronic gizmos...the M/L vans are pretty reliable in that area. They didn't come with all the new fancy electronics like reverse sensors, navigation, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors etc. No need to worry about them.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned: