90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: pics of your shop

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Lets see some more shops! Anyone got one with a makeshift urinal? That's gonna be my next addition. My only drain in the garage is for the washing machine, so I think a hose running out of the garage to the garden is in order. I've heard that draining it into a hole filled with activated carbon does the trick for filtering. Last thing I want to do is kill my new garden. I planned ahead and planted the veggies and strawberries 30' from where I intend to bury the end of the hose. I'm also putting in a sink soon, so I'll probably make some sort of flush system for the urinal. Also hope to get a kegerator kit for the fridge.
:cheers:

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

that is one mint looking 40 :poke:
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Thanks! I just wish I could afford to drive it. It failed smog a few years back, I dumped a crapload of money into it, but neglected to pay the registration for a few years (money has been tight), and now I owe probably $700 in fees. :cry:

It's an '82. My father bought it new and drove it everyday for 13 years. I then stole it from him and drove it everyday for another 10 years, and now it's been sitting for 4 years or so. It runs great and has never had a engine overhaul. Those 33" tires on there have maybe 500 miles, and they're already beginning to crack!

I'm really hoping to get it registered and back on the road this summer, but that all depends on whether I still have a job by then. It gets like 8mpg. You can actually watch the gas needle move while driving. #-o

But it is my baby and I will NEVER sell it. I love that when something dies on this cruiser I know exactly where to look. I have spent many many hours under the hood.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Here's my "project shop" 16x24, I built it for lawn equipment, etc, but has become where I work on projects. The Wife's Liberty and kids bikes gets the other 2 car garage....

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I thought this was a cool topic, and I have some improvements to show off:

I installed a urinal, lab faucets, 5 pneumatic tool ports and a central vacuum system. My van doesn't clear the roof, so I still have to work on it outside, which sucks.
Last edited by 97CargoCrawler on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Like the upgrades.Really like the shop in general.The shop I just rented is owned by a plumbing company and the pole barn is in the country not near anything.There in are some benefits,but does not have a bathroom.LOL,as you get older like me to have a bathroom for "number two" is a kind of necessary. 8-[ Hope as the landlord and I get to know each other I can talk him into building bathroom paying for part of the costs.Boy can I ever I.D. with you for door sizes and not be able to fit the van inside.At times frustrated by not being able to find a garage to rent for that,I regretted my van.But for the van's end use,it worth the extra money I have to spend.I wouldn't think with two pcs of plywood and the rainy season in Ca.it wouldn't be too bad for you working outside.

Hope you can hangout.Missed not seeing you around.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Thank you! I got so caught up in my Land Cruiser and lurking over on IH8MUD I neglected my van a bit. My cruiser is running good and finally passed emissions so now I'm focused back on the Safari.

I hardly have anything to complain about as far as having to work on the van outside. It was in the 80's last week! The only issue I have is I live behind another house and it keeps me from making noise after 10p.m. Aside from that it's nice. Nobody can see me from the street.

There are toilets available at Home Depot that have a tank and solid waste pump built in. They are not cheap, but are ideal for a garage setup if you have a drain to the sewer nearby. It might be ideal for your shop, and you might get a contractors discount if the owner pays for it. :supz:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

1Gary wrote:Like the upgrades.Really like the shop in general.The shop I just rented is owned by a plumbing company and the pole barn is in the country not near anything.There in are some benefits,but does not have a bathroom.LOL,as you get older like me to have a bathroom for "number two" is a kind of necessary. 8-[ Hope as the landlord and I get to know each other I can talk him into building bathroom paying for part of the costs.Boy can I ever I.D. with you for door sizes and not be able to fit the van inside.At times frustrated by not being able to find a garage to rent for that,I regretted my van.But for the van's end use,it worth the extra money I have to spend.I wouldn't think with two pcs of plywood and the rainy season in Ca.it wouldn't be too bad for you working outside.

Hope you can hangout.Missed not seeing you around.
The bathroom solution is a close as Wal Mart. Just buy a portable camping toilet. Haul it home and dump it occassionally. (You can also buy a six gallon water jug with a spout if you need to wash your hands.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Here is my dad's shop. It's about 1/4 mile from my place and I can use it whenver I need to. It's 36'x60'. In addition to this roll-up door, it has a set of sliding doors at the back and a walk-thru door on the right side.

(In addition to my Bronco in the pic, you can't see my van, Manta snowmobile, mini-dozer [built by my grandfather] and waaaaaay too much other crap I have parked in there!)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

Post by chevymaher »

I have two shops the first shown has lift and rotiseree I share this with my brother where we restore muscle cars It a three bay that 4 cars easily fit.Second is where I restored my van after it was totalled.It a single door open basement it got a 67 Gto down there waiting its turn at the big garage.
1214091821.jpg
garage.jpg
Attachments
1214091821.jpg
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Nice shops...nice toys! I love the easy chair. Nothing like a comfy chair to sit in and stare at your van for hours while you dream of what to mod next! :D

chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

That my man cave.If you look there a tv with cable.I hang out there alot.And yes I a van attic now.Black interior Run alot better than GM intended.Not going to brag and say any wild things except if you think you can get that V-6 Pull it up and we will see.I dont loose often.
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

willisworms

Post by willisworms »

I love shop talk! My shop is 32x40 and squeezed in behind my house. I had to get a variance permit for a structure that big in town.
The first pic shows the size of my shop compared to the house as I had torn down the garage to build a new Bedroom/Garage?Rooftop deck.
Attachments
IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg

willisworms

Post by willisworms »

More pics,
Attachments
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1137.jpg