2nd row Captains chairs

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
beavernation
I am merely driving my van

2nd row Captains chairs

Post by beavernation »

So I am lookin at a ton of Astro's online right now trying to narrow it down :rolleyes: . Most of them have the bench in the second row. One of my requirements is to have Captains chairs in the second row. If I purchase a van that came from the factory with a bench will a Captains chair bolt in?.....What modification is required if it wont bolt in?......Thanks in advance for a FNG question!..... :-({|=
"Ride hard, shoot straight and always speak the truth" Col. Jeff Cooper

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: 2nd row Captains chairs

Post by Kidhauler »

The problem with the buckets is they are mounted on bolts that stick up from the floor. So you can't remove the seats to load things in the back of the van because of the bolts. There is a option of a seat with a bench bottom and bucket backs. There is a fold down seat back in the middle that also doubles as cup holders when down.

I don't think that you could really take a bench out and bolt in buckets without dropping the gas tank and a bunch of heat shielding to get the bolts in. The only other way I can think of is to pull the carpet and weld studs to the floor. However if you do that wrong and get on a accident they will tear from the floor and everyone will die.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
beavernation

Post by beavernation »

Kidhauler wrote:The problem with the buckets is they are mounted on bolts that stick up from the floor. So you can't remove the seats to load things in the back of the van because of the bolts. There is a option of a seat with a bench bottom and bucket backs. There is a fold down seat back in the middle that also doubles as cup holders when down.

I don't think that you could really take a bench out and bolt in buckets without dropping the gas tank and a bunch of heat shielding to get the bolts in. The only other way I can think of is to pull the carpet and weld studs to the floor. However if you do that wrong and get on a accident they will tear from the floor and everyone will die.
Sheesh Kidhauler you got any good news? "everyone will die"..... 8-[ I have seen the style seat you are talkin about with the armrest in the center but that is not ideal for me. I have a disabled child who must be lifted into a seat. A captains chair with armrest holds him most securely. I then lift his wheelchair into the back. Maybe somehow the brackets of the bench could be adapted to an aftermarket captains chair?....Still brainstorming about how to transport him most safely.....Thanks for the input kidhauler, it gives me a starting point....

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

The bench seats do have fold down arm rests for each seat. I was not trying to be doom and gloom but I am sure that you wouldn't want a stud to tear from the sheet metal when your kids are in the chair. Can he stay in the wheel chair when driving? I am sure if you went to a fab shop they could make some kind of mount to hold the chair down in the floor pockets. Where are you locatedaube there is another member on your area with some experience in this.

I have seen wheel chair mounts in these bans but I didn't pay attention as to how they were mounted to the floor.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Hi There.

I believe it would be very very simple to mount a front seat from an astro anywhere in the van almost.

It might be more difficult to hook it to the lap & shoulder seatbelt system unless you position the seat in a location that can take advantage of existing shoulder strap upper mount .

If you decided to mount it in the spot directly behind the drivers seat, it would require dropping the fuel tank to install.
Mounting it in the right spot lets you use the shoulder belts properly, but you might have to get creative amd try installing a belt taken from a bench seat, somehow.

I think Kidhauler may be over complicating things a little bit with the bolts sticking up from the floor if the seat is removed......

I believe that if you mark the 4 mount bolt spots and drilled a hole at each, You could simply drop a grade 8 bolt though each one and the under the van, use a grade 8 nut, Flat washer and a piece of 1/4 x 5x5 steel plate. Or similar sized backup plate. If you removed the seat, you would only have the 4 small holes. Any fab shop could do that, even my driveway's.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Maybe widen your search and find a conversion van. Mine has buckets in the second row and they pop in and out easily. When out, there is a metal plate left that sticks up an inch or two, but it is flat and I carried sheet goods over the top of them on a few occasions. (The nice thing about a hi-top conversion too is the added headroom in the second and third row areas.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
beavernation

Post by beavernation »

Kidhauler wrote:The bench seats do have fold down arm rests for each seat. I was not trying to be doom and gloom but I am sure that you wouldn't want a stud to tear from the sheet metal when your kids are in the chair. Can he stay in the wheel chair when driving? I am sure if you went to a fab shop they could make some kind of mount to hold the chair down in the floor pockets. Where are you locatedaube there is another member on your area with some experience in this.

I have seen wheel chair mounts in these bans but I didn't pay attention as to how they were mounted to the floor.
I have access to my ex-wifes wheelchair conversion van to take him whenever I need it but I am always looking at new ways to make this project versatile. I hate to always have to borrow her vehicle. I appreciate your input Kidhauler it is all helping me to make some important decisions!
doyoulikeithere wrote:Hi There.

I believe it would be very very simple to mount a front seat from an astro anywhere in the van almost.

It might be more difficult to hook it to the lap & shoulder seatbelt system unless you position the seat in a location that can take advantage of existing shoulder strap upper mount .

If you decided to mount it in the spot directly behind the drivers seat, it would require dropping the fuel tank to install.
Mounting it in the right spot lets you use the shoulder belts properly, but you might have to get creative amd try installing a belt taken from a bench seat, somehow.

I think Kidhauler may be over complicating things a little bit with the bolts sticking up from the floor if the seat is removed......

I believe that if you mark the 4 mount bolt spots and drilled a hole at each, You could simply drop a grade 8 bolt though each one and the under the van, use a grade 8 nut, Flat washer and a piece of 1/4 x 5x5 steel plate. Or similar sized backup plate. If you removed the seat, you would only have the 4 small holes. Any fab shop could do that, even my driveway's.
This is good to hear! I would like to have an easily removeable seat in the location of the factory captains chair so as to utilize the shoulder belt in that location. The simpler the better!!!....If I can convert the van to a camper as I want to all the other areas in the cabin will be filled (ie, cabinets, bed, sink) and the best and only good location is near the slider. It sounds like these vans are fairly straightforward coming up through the body in this location correct?......
mdmead wrote:Maybe widen your search and find a conversion van. Mine has buckets in the second row and they pop in and out easily. When out, there is a metal plate left that sticks up an inch or two, but it is flat and I carried sheet goods over the top of them on a few occasions. (The nice thing about a hi-top conversion too is the added headroom in the second and third row areas.)
I have seriously and still am considering a high top of some kind and it is good to know the seats come out so easily. Although there are lots of AWD in this area there seem to be a very limited selection so far in Conversions, I will keep looking though!....Sheet goods?...SWEET! as woodworking is one of my other hobbies and the ability to carry 4x8 sheets would be awesome.......Thanks to all for the ideas, I am just gonna keep looking and wait to find the perfect AWD for the ultimate in versatility..........