The best things in life are free!

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

The best things in life are free!

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Lets face it, I am nowhere even close to rich, and probably a lot closer to being poor.

One of the best tings about having a van is that quite often when I'm cruising around, I will see a pile of stuff near the road in someone's yard with a "Free" sign on it.
So far, I haven't ever had to say, No, I don't have room for that! I've gotten some great stuff.

Today, I scooped up a "Mistral" wind surfing board and sail. Its complete and no rips in the sail.
My Astro Van was definitely up to the task of carrying that away, and now the kids have a wind-surfing rig!!
My kitchen table and chair set came to me the same way \:D/

The other best thing about having an Astro Van is being able to come here and share my good news!
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: The best things in life are free!

Post by astrozam »

Nice score :supz:

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Definitely a decent score!

100% of my furniture came the same way. Can't quite say the same about my kitchen appliances. But I did snag a Cuisinart Coffee Maker (retail $90) for $10.50 at the thrift store. The only thing wrong with it is possibly the carbon water filter.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

free or very inexpensive is awesome. i get so much more satisfaction in getting something that way.. and if it works as it should, more enjoyment using it when i know what i got it for.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

willisworms
I get chills without my van.

Post by willisworms »

Yesterday I picked up a 2" receiver, hidden hitch with 7 way plug attached. Great condition with little rust. Not at all sure what it is off, but for free it can be modified to fit anything.

Topic author
doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

willisworms wrote:Yesterday I picked up a 2" receiver, hidden hitch with 7 way plug attached. Great condition with little rust. Not at all sure what it is off, but for free it can be modified to fit anything.
Whatchu talkin bout Willis! Lol

Man, I'm sure if anyone can modify it to fit an Astro its you!!

Have Fun, Great find!

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

You also diverted something from going to waste. If more things could be reused, we wouldn't have to import so much cheap mass produced crap to fill up the landfills with.

willisworms

Post by willisworms »

timelessbeing wrote:You also diverted something from going to waste. If more things could be reused, we wouldn't have to import so much cheap mass produced crap to fill up the landfills with.
I hate throwing stuff away! I literally keep all my scrap steel around until its been used down to about a match book size. I have a light pole across the street from my house that I call "the free pole" I stick all Items I don't want anymore on the concrete base of the pole, and people come along and grab it up. I've put everything over there from used building supplies, To most recently, a George forman grill. The only thing That was of no interest to people was a pair of ford dually rims and tires with about 60% tread. I was amazed no one took them.
doyoulikeithere wrote:
willisworms wrote:Yesterday I picked up a 2" receiver, hidden hitch with 7 way plug attached. Great condition with little rust. Not at all sure what it is off, but for free it can be modified to fit anything.
Whatchu talkin bout Willis! Lol

Man, I'm sure if anyone can modify it to fit an Astro its you!!

Have Fun, Great find!
I already have a hitch on the safari, so I would guess it will be modified to fit something else, I do get asked to make hitches a lot.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

My best roadside score was an old 50s-era table-top table saw I found on the side of the road along the MA Seacoast. It was complete, but the motor didn't work. A few weeks later I found a motor at a flea market that I gave $15 for. I used that saw for several years before I upgraded to a better one. I sold the first one at our garage sale for $40.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

willisworms wrote:I do get asked to make hitches a lot.
You really seem to have a way with metal. I've had a few Astro metalwork projects on my to do list for a while which I could use help with (I'm under-equipped). You're not that far away. Would you be interested in a small project or two?

- Joe

Topic author
doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

timelessbeing wrote:
willisworms wrote:I do get asked to make hitches a lot.
You really seem to have a way with metal. I've had a few Astro metalwork projects on my to do list for a while which I could use help with (I'm under-equipped). You're not that far away. Would you be interested in a small project or two?

- Joe

or three?

willisworms

Post by willisworms »

I'm always willing to help. Just let me know what you need

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

This is great news, I thought I was the only one! :cheers:
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

I'm a scrounger from way back so my home is that of a pack rat. If I put something out it is dumpster material.
willisworms wrote:I hate throwing stuff away! I literally keep all my scrap steel around until its been used down to about a match book size. I have a light pole across the street from my house that I call "the free pole" I stick all Items I don't want anymore on the concrete base of the pole, and people come along and grab it up. I've put everything over there from used building supplies, To most recently, a George forman grill. The only thing That was of no interest to people was a pair of ford dually rims and tires with about 60% tread. I was amazed no one took them.
The company I work for just sold the warehouse / showroom that adjoined dear old dad's property, the bosses dad being a hoarder. He's long since retired and did the flea market thing for several years often coming home w/ more crap than he started with. Before the business property could be listed all of us spent a week moving and cleaning the shop and grounds of both properties. Some old tires were found and the bosses dad pulled them from the dumpster, his thought being to do the curbside thing w/ a free sign,,, they were trash but he thought he could save some weight in the dumpster. The tires sat there all weekend and when I showed up Monday morning there were three more than he started with.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

We camp on San Juan Island every year. We like to do a dual sport weekend- we load the kayaks on the trucks and drive down to one end of the island, park, put in and paddle back to camp, usually about 15 miles or so. Then all the Bettys make dinner while a few of us Barneys grab our road bikes and ride about 45 minutes back to get the trucks. The next day, we do the same thing but head the other way from camp.

There is an all-island "free pile" near the campground on a little traveled two lane road. Everyone brings soemthing to drop off, and they take soemthing they want. It's been a free pile for over 20 years.

This particular day, we arrived at the cars after the ride and I ended up putting my bike and my buddie's real expensive (over $3500.00) bike on my van because he only had kayak racks on his car, not bike mounts. He went into the marina to use the bathroom and I just headed back to camp in my van. Since he was a few minutes behind me, I quickly stopped and put is shiney bright blue bike in the free pile and hid my van in the woods 100 ft past the pile and then hid near the pile so I could see the look on his face.

It was priceless. He stops in the middle of the road and looks all around for me or my van and doesn't see a thing except his bight blue $3500 bike sitting there in a free pile as if it had a spot light shining on it. :muhaha:

It's been years and he's still mad about it. :D ("He just left it there! Anybody could have drove up and taken it!")

Where I come from, people were too snooty to take something out of a free pile, it would sit there indefinitely. So then I would put a sign on the item that said $10 and sure enough somebody would "steal" the item.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.