the official help Rob find another Astro thread

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

the official help Rob find another Astro thread

Post by crash »

well, the 03 neon has sold. it's gone this afternoon. the replacement search for my 99 has begun.

can you guys help me shop? maybe this will be fun?? :D I'd like to stay away from ebay

the most important thing is: my budget I have $3000 cash IN HAND (literally) ... so I'd like to stay as close to $3000 as possible or < $3000 because i have to ad 13% tax in Ontario to add on whatever I get, plus safety check and parts and emissions testing (add another $120 minimum + parts/labor).

I'd prefer as cheap as possible and i know the deals are out there .. they go quick. i'd pay less for a wrongly optioned van. the lower the mileage the better. mr blacknome won't sell me his cheap enough LOL :yawinkle:

i'm looking for a clean, well taken care of 2WD 1998-2003

preferred but not mandatory options:

2nd row buckets
dutch doors (must have)
AC (must work)
keyless entry
all power options working (i'm not looking for a big fixer upper project)
LS, LT, SLT
chrome rims
lower body cladding (kinda preferred)
may consider AWD

for all my Canadian buddies .. RUST .. I don't want any or it must be very minimal as I don't want to get into body work or changing rotted brake lines and fuel lines etc certified and emissions tested would be a large bonus

I just missed a well maintained, all receipts, loaded, 98, no rust, orig owner, 140,000km, certified & emissions tested for $2400 yesterday by a mere 45 minutes.

I'd also prefer something within an hour of my location.. Woodstock Ontario. I hate driving two + hours to go see something that the seller has said is a mint gem and it's really a turd.

ultimately, I want this van below (don't even know the color name or code LOL) with chrome rims. I think it's a members van on the other site... hey, i can dream. I'd love to start with an AWD this color and go from there ... but a 2wd would be more likely for me (especially, with the price of front hubs and transfer case motors eek) .. even if the cladding is another color, I can get painted the lt autumwood

some of you guys are in the US and that's a good thing and a bad thing (for this exercise) . I'd love a rust free van from down south but don't have the time or money to go and get it... unless someone can deliver it to the border at Port Huron Michigan for me.. LOL (never know) (maybe even HPbyStan's copper 98 awd? lol) .. plus you get into the 'must have working daytime running lights' and adding another $210 for Canadian inspection on top of a safety check and emissions testing (cash grab).

thanks guys.... ready.. set ... GO!
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: the official help Rob find another Astro thread

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I'm a big fan of the 'usedeverywhere.com' sites.
They have many of them to cover a lot of regions, and you can filter your search to find only astros or safaris or whatever you choose to search for.
Heres a complete list, pick your nearest region and start from there.

BC
UsedVictoria.com
UsedCowichan.com
UsedNanaimo.com
UsedPQB.com
UsedComoxValley.com
UsedCampbellRiver.com
UsedNorthIsland.com
UsedAlberni.com
UsedTofino.com
UsedUkee.com
UsedVancouver.com
UsedSurrey.com
UsedMapleRidge.com
UsedLangley.com
UsedAbbotsford.com
UsedChilliwack.com
UsedPrinceGeorge.com
UsedKamloops.com
UsedOkanagan.com
UsedKootenays.com

Prairies
UsedCalgary.com
UsedCentralAlberta.com
UsedEdmonton.com
UsedStoon.com
UsedMJ.com
UsedRegina.com
UsedWinnipeg.com

Ontario
UsedThunderBay.com
UsedSoo.com
UsedSudbury.com
UsedHamilton.com
UsedToronto.com
UsedOshawa.com
UsedPeterborough.com
UsedStLawrence.com
UsedOttawa.com
UsedRenfrewCounty.com
UsedLanarkCounty.com

Quebec & Atlantic
UsedMontreal.com
UsedGatineau.com
UsedFredericton.com
UsedPEI.com
UsedHalifax.com

This particular add has a lot of astrosafaris on it, canada wide, but mostly cargo's
http://www.usedtoronto.com/classified-a ... -_13243298

Good Luck!
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

thanks .. wow .. quite the list.

i'm not looking for a cargo .. but ..

oddly, I went and looked at a 2002 cargo today .. took it for a drive. seller wouldn't budge on his price and was in no rush to sell. it was super clean, rust free, had more miles than i like and felt it in the drive train. motor was strong and smooth. felt like the ujoints needed done and like the rear end was kind of loose or clunky, maybe on it's last legs. with kind of a delayed response when the engine roared to getting the power to the rear wheels. the check engine light came on when i was driving it. he didn't seem surprised. the ABS light was also on the entire time.

it's an older retired guy that owned it.. but .. he had a heavy foot. scared me a little when he drove the 1st part of the test drive. neat the way he tried to make it look like a 70's van

here's the ad .. like i said, clean and i like that dark grey color. visor, grill, mirrors and running boards all appear to be painted with rattle can
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles ... Z272395449

turns out it has 225,000kms on it but odo reads 177 .. long story about a fuel pump change that fried the gauge resulting a wrecker cluster being installed with less km on it.

when i asked about best price 'as-is' he would take no less than $3300. too much for the km and how loose the drive train felt IMO. if he'd said $2800 .. i might have had a cargo and been looking for some 2nd row buckets LOL
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

that grey cargo looks awesome!

good luck with your hunt, i'm currently searching for a newer Astro/Safari cargo van down here in Houston. (at the right price of course)
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

well, the search is over. yeah, i know.. that was fast.

i guess it's all in the timing.

picked up a 1997 AWD with 193,000kms on it. very clean except for a rusty drivers side rocker and two small spots on the front fenders.

the cosmetics of the van need some TLC and fine tuning.. but overall it's solid. engine, drive train is tight, rides great and runs great.. just needs a few bugs ironed out. more pics to follow... the ad got deleted before i had a chance to save the pics LOL

it's a redish maroon color with tan interior, 2 rows of benches and bonus 4 tan leather quad buckets were also thrown in, along with a spare black chev grill, rear bumper cover (yellow nice lol), and 2 sets of wheels and tires .. winters on factory alloys and summer 18" toyo proxys on chrome iroc rims like darrens.

it's got some running boards that the previous previous owner installed but they either weren't mounted correctly towards the front or they aren't supposed to be on an astro LOL

bugs to work out, abs light on .. was scanned and diag'd as the abs sensor, not sure on which side on the front. slider sticks a bit when trying to open. key fob is intermittent. blower motor seems to work on 1,2,3 speeds but not 4 or high.. or 2,3 but not 1 & 4 .. not sure if the switch itself or the resistor .. or something else? AC needs a charge. trans dipstick needs replaced (locking handle thingy is broken).

that's about it.. for now

edit: added one quick pic before heading off to work

Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

you are too funny rob !! 5 whole weeks without a van.

It's kinda like they had you in a dry-out center for last 5 weeks trying to get you off the AstroCrack.... the whole time you were in there you were scanning Kijiji, and autotrader counting down the days.... now you are back out on the streets and back on the AstroCrack !!! You need an intervention ! ROFL

Charlie Sheen holds nothing on you brother !!

What are you going to do with the Blazer you traded the Peon for ??
nice looking van BTW, I didn't know they made the chrome Irocs in that bolt pattern !

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

Charlie Sheen holds nothing on you brother !!
i'll take that as a compliment ?? :-k

LOL .. i know .. i didn't sleep well the whole time and now i'm.. duh ..winning!

the trade for the blazer never went through .. the kid was dragging his feet coming good on the emissions test and actually getting a safety, he said all the work was done but didn't get the certificate. told him he wasn't giving me the warm and fuzzies about the whole deal

astro life is good again. i may or may not keep the wheels... they are a tad 'pimp' for me LOL
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Congrats on the purchase Rob. :cheers: =D> Nice van.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

good to see you're back in the game i like the rims if they were gloss black they would probably fit the style i plan for my van
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

jcesp
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by jcesp »

I have a Clean 1996 Cargo White No Rust.. Only 85K Total actual Miles.. $ 2800
Needs a Fuel Pump, which Im trying to Deal with, ... Was Hit and repaired in the Front End. Had to Have a new Starter, and New Rear End Put in 2003 ..
San Diego Area

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

jcesp wrote:I have a Clean 1996 Cargo White No Rust.. Only 85K Total actual Miles.. $ 2800
Needs a Fuel Pump, which Im trying to Deal with, ... Was Hit and repaired in the Front End. Had to Have a new Starter, and New Rear End Put in 2003 ..
San Diego Area
Dude,

Great First Post...

Rob got a van.

Good Luck in sellin yours. Fix it first and don't list all of its problems...

Buyer Beware.

LOLz, Jim