Questions

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Quill
I am merely driving my van

Questions

Post by Quill »

I could use some answers on the Ast/Saf. First as a short person I only need 5 1/2-6 feet to lay down. So how much of seating area is removed to do this? By the way I do not simply want a cargo van. How heavy duty of shocks can be used before sacrificing ride comfort? Will changing to LT tires affect it much? I go some pretty nasty old roads, but my back gets pounded with most harsh suspensions. I have a Samurai that is like riding a pogo stick. My wife's CR-V is better but not great. My 99 Ranger is comfortable but since it's a pretty nice truck, There are many places I wouldn't take it. I had a 94 Grand Cherokee that was comfy too. They still lack a decent place for me to lay down while my wife drives and still have cargo room. Thanks for your thoughts.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Questions

Post by astroturf »

Answer... None.

Lay down on the bench seat, or recline the passenger seat.

Jim

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I don't know with the stock seats, but in my conversion van, the third row folds down to a small bed. It isn't big enough for me as delivered, but I have a heavy duty plastic storage box that fits in behind the seat and when folded down to a bed is the same height. The box and bed are then long enough for me at 6'. I didn't need to remove my second row of buckets, but by doing so, it gives a nice large open area for storage, changing clothes or whatever.

I find the ride a bit squishy and my goal is to firm it up a bit. Having owned a Sami myself, there is no comparison. I'd guess the ride is closer to your Jeep, but softer. I'm running KYB shocks on mine and don't think they are stiff enough. You'd probably like them OK, especially if you don't have a heavier hi-top conversion. (Of course I do recommend an AWD hi-top conversion for an off-highway camping vehicle.)

I'm not sure if I have LTs on my van now, (cheap Wal Mart A/Ts), but my last set of Pirelli A/Ts were. I didn't find much difference in ride quality, but the peace of mind of having the LTs was important. Highly recommend them if going off-road.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Quill

Post by Quill »

I prefer the Lt tires for offroad too. I had a Jeep Cherokee that had car tires on. I was in the high country in Arizona and a rock slit the side wall. I bought truck tires as soon as I got home.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Get an AWD with quad buckets, take out the 3rd row bench, and remove the bucket behind the front passenger. Throw up a cot and your good to go.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

One member posted an interesting thread about hanging a hammock in his van. He had hooks in the right spots, so he could just unroll the hammock, hook it to the hooks, and crash out. It hung high enough that if you folded down the 3rd & 4th rows seats it would clear over them. Great Idea I thought, but I haven't set one up yet, even though i have the perfect roll up hammock.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.