Tell me your empty tank stories!

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
JTalley
I sleep in my van

Tell me your empty tank stories!

Post by JTalley »

This morning, on my way to school, Ed started to sputter. After doing a mad rush across town trying to get to the only gas station with good gas, the engine stalled a block and a half down a hill from the station. Then, as I tried to flag people down, it started to rain. I found out some good statistics, though! :D
36 out of 40 people think I have the plague. [-(
1 out of 40 people is deathly afraid of me and had to put the pedal to the floor upon me trying to flag him/her down. =;
3 out of 40 people are good samaritans. O:)

Me and these three people found out some more excellent info- Ed is extremely heavy. #-o

So they pushed me halfway there. That means I was still down the hill, but it was less of the walk to the station and Ed wasn't in the road anymore. So I went up there and asked to borrow a can. Lo and behold, they didn't have one, but they recommended someplace that did. The rain picked up on the walk there. :-({|=

So I got there, and recieved a funnel and a plastic jug. :-s

I walked back to the station (by this point it's nearly pouring) and got $1 in gas in the jug.

I walked back to the van and put this in, attempting to keep the rain out of the gas tank.

Then I drove up to the station, put the other $9 in the tank, and walked back to the other place to return the funnel and jug. By this point my hands are drenched in gas, and I'm dripping with a combination of rain and sweat.

After scrubbing my hands in the icy water (the establishment doesn't have a water heater), I walked back to the van, climbed in, and went to school.

When I got there, it was nearly 8:40. I had to explain all this to my teacher, who doesn't like me very well because... well... I'm always late. #-o

So in the end,
Me --> :dunce:
Ed --> :withstupid:

So... Am I just a big moron, or does anyone else have any empty tank battle stories?
Jake

Ed- 1992 Astro, RWD, 4.3l V6 (purchased Feb. 2011)
FlowTech Red Hots glasspack exhaust (finally got it put on there!)
Old rides (earlier to later)
2004 Honda 250 Rebel (my dad's bike, he let me use it)
Neko- 1991 S10 Blazer, 4x4, 4-door (SOLD Feb. 2011)
Custom (aka failed) diy paint job- red with black stripe

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: Tell me your empty tank stories!

Post by Kidhauler »

Remember 5 bucks worth of cheap or low quality gas beats the hell out of pushing. Don't drive across town with the van coughing.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I try and avoid close calls, but I remember two.

The dead giveaway was always pulling away quickly and the fuel pump sucking air...

One time, coming back from a trip to Northern Maine with the snowmobile trailer in tow, I had just stopped to pay a toll. Upon accelerating away from the toll booth, it started to sputter. Luckily there was an exit right there and a gas station within a block or so. I had to stop at a light... could see the station across the street... and just KNEW I was going to run out of gas before getting there. (I didn't.)

The other time I was arriving at work and I had to climb a steep hill to get there. As soon as I turned up the hill it started to sputter. I quickly turned around and drove about two miles to town and gassed up.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I carry a jerry can for situations like that. Now dead battery stories ... I've got some of those! :muhaha:

Topic author
JTalley
I sleep in my van

Post by JTalley »

Kidhauler wrote:Remember 5 bucks worth of cheap or low quality gas beats the hell out of pushing. Don't drive across town with the van coughing.
Lesson learned, believe me! #-o
Jake

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

Having 5 Brothers in town..plus my Mom...plus my Wife...plus all associated...I have contacts within town :cheers: ....which is why I don't pack the weight of a spare tire unless I leave town...If I get a flat(has never happened, but now that I've said that, I will have soon)...call someone to bring me my spare from home :muhaha:
The only time I've run out of gas is with newly aquired used vehicles that have inaccurate guages. Solution?...call a relative/friend as outlined above... :muhaha:

grapple
I am merely driving my van

Post by grapple »

I've run out of gas one time, it was early in the morning on my way to work. I was working late nights and putting in lots of hours. Its amazing what you don't notice when you are tired. Pretty uneventful, I just called the shop and had a couple gallons delivered in 15 minutes.
97 Astro Base Model
93 Jeep XJ

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I can't tell you the number of times I've coasted right up to the gas pump. My wife says I'm the luckiest person she's ever met. I really don't understand her refusal to push the van if I do run out of gas. ](*,)
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

With my L31 crate motor powered Maroon Astro cargo van on a mission to Mich from Wisc to pick up an eBay 350 engine for another Astro, the yard where I bought the engine couldn't get it far enough into the cargo van to not really sink the suspension in back. Now that van would go 550 highway miles on a tank of fuel easy, more than enough to make the round trip. In Chicago coming back during rush hour it quits in the passing lane. Too much traffic to even get over to the right lane much less the shoulder. Now I'm stuck next to the left barrier. The good news is it was in one of the usual Chi town construction zones so traffic was somewhat slower. Once it thinned out a bit, someone stopped behind me and pushed me over to the right shoulder so that was a bit safer anyway. Now I have a cell phone but who do I call in chicago? I ended up calling my friend Rochelle @ A&A dist in the SF Bay area and she rang towing places in the Schaumburg area on a conference call so I could talk with them. Turns out no one will bring fuel to a van on the Interstate there but would tow me the three miles to the station at the next exit for only $75. Now being cheap as I am, I'm not buying into that but it's going to be getting dark pretty soon and I can think of several places I'd rather be at night than along the side of the road in Chicago. I rummage through the junk in the back of the van and find a good sized chunk of cardboard and write "out of gas" on it. No more than get out of the van with my sign and an India Indian in a Jag wearing gold chains all over stops, picks me up, takes me to the station, waits while I buy a fuel container, get the fuel and he brings me back to the van while having to pay a toll somewhere that I can't remember the details of right now. Dude will not take any money, says he just hopes someone will help him if he's in the same mess. Put in the fuel and drive back to the station and can't even quite get 20 gals in the 27 gal tank. By now it's dark and I'm POing every oncoming driver between Chicago and Barham Av Janesville with my squirrel hunting head lights but home at last.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Quill

Post by Quill »

I run out a few times when I was young. Once in a little Mitso I drove 2 or 3 blocks on the starter. I had a lifted Ranger with a busted fuel gauge. I would watch the trip and get gas. Once after climbing the mountains to Flagstaff then a head wind going east on I40, I got really mileage and run out on the Navajo Rez. I had towing so they sent someone with gas. Now the only time I run out is on my little enduro. That thing never gets the same mileage twice. I try to fill it before each ride, but I forget every now and then.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

I herd you could go Pee Pee in the tank to get you to the next Gas Station.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

astroturf wrote:I herd you could go Pee Pee in the tank to get you to the next Gas Station.
If you drank enough alcohol the night before maybe... :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
astroturf wrote:I herd you could go Pee Pee in the tank to get you to the next Gas Station.
If you drank enough alcohol the night before maybe... :muhaha:
And only if you drive a flex-fuel vehicle. \:D/

thegreenmachine
I get chills without my van.

Post by thegreenmachine »

wow, coasted into the gas station today (second time this week) after it started to sputter and the gauge dropped from 1/4 to zero. Guess i don't have the worlds biggest bottom quarter tank!!!

Lucky!!!
2003 Chevrolet Astro 4wd np233c transfercase 245/75/16 ETS Trailermaster tires
ImageImageImage
Previous:
1995 Safari AWD (death by torsion bar. a.k.a. "the final straw")
1999 Safari AWD ( death by tree x2 )
1997 safari rwd cargo ( sold @ 450,000+ km )

Topic author
JTalley
I sleep in my van

Post by JTalley »

A while back I was really low and I was several miles from the nearest town. I barely made it into the city limits before it started to sputter... I had to pump the accelerator just to keep it running. Finally it stalled. This is on the main highway, btw- and it was only one lane of traffic on my side with a center turning lane on my left. I flicked on the emergency flashers, and people came right up on me as I coasted to a stop. I kept trying to start it back up as I slowed down, and finally, it sputtered to life. I kept pumping the accelerator, barely going about 35, the flashers still on, and someone started to honk at me. I could SEE the station, just ahead. I barely made it into the parking lot and got stuck behind another car in the lot. Somebody helped push me up to the pump. I must've traveled about a mile and a half with it sputtering, my nerves on edge the whole time. I just knew I was gonna stall in that center lane waiting for the oncoming traffic to pass so I could go into the lot.
I only have the Lord to thank for getting me there, and I mean that. [-o<
Last edited by JTalley on Thu May 26, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake