What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

thegreenmachine
I get chills without my van.

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by thegreenmachine »

replaced my idler arms, powersteering pump (thank you previous safari!!), belt, greased everything with a nipple (haha. nipple..), fixed passenger door handle PITA btw.
2003 Chevrolet Astro 4wd np233c transfercase 245/75/16 ETS Trailermaster tires
ImageImageImage
Previous:
1995 Safari AWD (death by torsion bar. a.k.a. "the final straw")
1999 Safari AWD ( death by tree x2 )
1997 safari rwd cargo ( sold @ 450,000+ km )

oldsmoker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by oldsmoker »

Installed an aux tranny cooler and in-line magnefine filter.

3 weeks ago the transmission started slipping, I did a pan drop & filter service, adding Valvoline fully synth Dex VI and 1 bottle of Lubeguard Red, the slipping stopped for 2 weeks and shifting was feeling better overall & smoother :partyman: but then happened a couple of times again :cry:

When i did the service the magnet inside the pan was completed lost in ferrous fines and the fluid was rather dark so today I decided to fit the Tru-Cool 4544 stacked plate cooler along with a second bottle of Lubeguard Red, topped off with more Valvoline fully synthetic Dex VI as my best shot at fixing it!

havent run it yet, fingers crossed.
:prayer:
Attachments
the filter can be seen in this shot..
the filter can be seen in this shot..
043.jpg
042.jpg
045.jpg
The magnefine filter is hidden behind the front body panel below the cooler
The magnefine filter is hidden behind the front body panel below the cooler
1989 Astro 4.3 283k. Originally a Zimmer conversion van, now a stripped out cargo.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Sweet Install.

Prior to radiator or after?

Thanks, Jim

Great A'Tuin

Post by Great A'Tuin »

Picked up supplies to change engine oil, 2 quarts of Auto-Trak II for the transfer case and oil for the front diff. Camping season starts next week!
john

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

some pics of my van as it sits:
the new parts (going back to junkyard tomorrow for grille, composite (halogen) headlights, and new bumper since I found out mine are unusable)
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

thegreenmachine wrote:replaced my idler arms, powersteering pump (thank you previous safari!!), belt, greased everything with a nipple (haha. nipple..), fixed passenger door handle PITA btw.
isnt it great to have a parts van?
Did a bit of rock crawling in my van after work just for fun.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

wkastro

Post by wkastro »

When i did the service the magnet inside the pan was completed lost in ferrous fines and the fluid was rather dark so today I decided to fit the Tru-Cool 4544 stacked plate cooler along with a second bottle of Lubeguard Red, topped off with more Valvoline fully synthetic Dex VI as my best shot at fixing it!

Nice cooler install. I like to put them in sideways to purge out the air more effectively, though.
2003 Astro AWD bought in January 2009
103,000 miles, Trucool 4590, ScanGageII, Michelin LTX 215/70R16, Tekonsha P3

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:
1994 Astro AWD (sold in 1996, 50,000 miles in 2 years)
1992 Astro RWD (bought from GM fleet, traded for AWD in 1994)

oldsmoker

Post by oldsmoker »

thanks chaps...Jim, take a closer look at the 2nd pic "043.jpg"...you will see that i have run the lines coming out of the rad and then back into that top rad return line, hence im using both original plus new cooling together. I was advised to put the magnefine before the aux cooler to keep the cooler itself clean.

im happy with the install, it went well, enjoyed making my first photo contribution to the forum...

wkastro....thanks for the comment, may i ask, what is the logic behind what you said?
:guitar:
1989 Astro 4.3 283k. Originally a Zimmer conversion van, now a stripped out cargo.

wkastro

Post by wkastro »

wkastro....thanks for the comment, may i ask, what is the logic behind what you said?
It is easier for the air to be bled from the top of the bubble.

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I dropped it off at the body shop! Estimated time to repair: 2-3 weeks.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

picked up the rest of the parts yesterday -grille, halogen composite lights and a clean bumper. then today I found a 2000 conversion van with a blown motor on craigslist for $700. I called the guy and found out I know him and drive by the van every week. Its a hi top conversion with 4 captains chairs, full length running boards, alot of striping, and overall its a really clean van (except one of the running boards broke over the rear wheels.) its 2 tone white enamel with gold painted striping. he said it dropped a cylinder. so I'm gonna see if my motor (1997) is compatible with a 2000 computer and have it dropped in. if not, I'll have to swap the computer along with it.
anyone need van parts? my old one and all the parts I bought to fix it (2 fenders, composite lights with entire light harness, grille, hood, bumper, and core support) are going to be sold. I'm taking my stereo system and the silverado seats, but anything else will be sold or scrapped. If anyones interested, my van is a '97 with about 145k miles on it. options include rear AC and factory tinted windows. it will have no engine or transmission. I will sell it as parts or whole. it has a clean MO title.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

wkastro

Post by wkastro »

I found a 2000 conversion van with a blown motor on craigslist for $700
Good find, Kev - are you going to have to change your ASV user name to Astro Kev?

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

wkastro wrote:
I found a 2000 conversion van with a blown motor on craigslist for $700
Good find, Kev - are you going to have to change your ASV user name to Astro Kev?
nope- its a safari conversion van, so I'll be keeping my name as Safari Kev. even if it was an astro, I'd safari-ize it. I know its all in my head, but I always thought safaris were nicer than astros. Anyways I'll post pics tomorrow after I drive the new van home. he said it runs, but only sorta (since it has a dropped cylinder). good thing I don't live very far from him. it'll be on the road by friday so my dad can take it cross country next week (taking it on a trip to chi-town). I'm having the swap done professionally since I dont have a garage or a lift or the time/stamina to do it myself (still have really bad headaches and body aches from the accident). Its odd how everythiing sorta worked out (granted I'll be flat broke and have to deal with a parts van, but its not like its the end of the world or anything). finding a nice conversion van the day after my birthday kinda makes up for me totaling the '97 van 2 days before my birthday. kinda.
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

greased every nipple, tried to rehang some rattly exhaust sections, cleaned up and re-routed the trailer plug wiring, installed an old chev truck transfer case floor shifter so now I can work the transfer case gears. I installed a jeep cj front drive shaft a few weeks ago. took it for a drive and checked out low range :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

safari kev

Post by safari kev »

dropped my old van off at the shop (last time it'll ever move under its own power). it actually drives perfectly straight, just I have to turn left very slow. picked up my new van- its a 2000 safari conversion done by explorer conversions. It is the sweetest van EVER!. it has everything I was gonna put in my van- comfy seats, a fold down bed (power to boot), and fancy lights in the ceiling. plus it has a TV and VCR and tinted windows, blinds, and an alarm system. guy agreed to selling it for $600 because he knows me. He said someone came by and offered him alot more than he was asking, but he didn't like the guy so he sold it to me instead. he said the engine blew 6 months but he didnt sell it until this week.
its got a 4 cylinder 4.3. exhaust reeks of gas and engine dies at idle. its very loud out the tailpipe and sounds like a lawn mower. if you floor it it does about 40mph. guy had to drive halfway back from a road trip to southern MO with a blown motor.
old van getting prepped for engine swap

and the new van. it is the most awesome looking conversion van ever (IMO of course)
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera