'95 Astro antifreeze suggestions

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

'95 Astro antifreeze suggestions

Post by violent b »

anyone have a reccomendation of what type of antifreeze to use in my '95 Astro? I know I should use a Dex-Cool type but will it matter from Prestone, Peak, ect...?

any one I should stay away from, besides a non-Dex-Cool based antifreeze?
The Midget and Monkey madman!

dragonvan
I get chills without my van.

Post by dragonvan »

No, it doesn't matter what brand. Just make sure to use the orange Dexcool. I do recommend a name brand. A house brand from any of the major auto parts chains should also be ok, ie. Napa, Carquest, etc.

You Could switch to a standard Antifreeze but you need to flush the system very very well. The dexcool is better at protecting the aluminum in the cooling system though. The high end phosphor free regular (green) anti freeze is pretty good at protecting the aluminum also, but again you need to flush, and it is about the same price as dexcool. It is used in many of the European cars.

I like dexcool and have switched all of my older vehicles over to it, including my one water cooled motorcycle. I don't recommend going more than 1yr between changes with regular anti-freeze, and no more than 3yrs or 100,000mi with dexcool.

I have found that the prestone or havoline at walmart is about the cheapest for gallon jugs.

When you drain the system I pull the lines at the rear heater if you have one, and remember to drain the engine block. There is a plug towards the rear of the engine on each side just above the oil pan. Both need to be removed. Also replace your thermostat while you're at it. 70% of thermostats fail partially open and reduce fuel economy and can cause overheating that may not be noticed because it isn't a severe overheat like a stuck closed thermostat. I would also recommend taking in you rad cap to the parts house and have them pressure test it or just replace it, they are only about $8.
2002 Astro
My Mods List
Ex GM tech, Fabricator
Linux Forever!

Topic author
violent b

Post by violent b »

the radiator cap has been replaced with a brand new one and I got a new thermostat while I was at it.

I'll look for the drains under the engine, I think I remember seeing them and wondering what they were for.

thanks for all the info!

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

dragonvan wrote: When you drain the system I pull the lines at the rear heater if you have one, and remember to drain the engine block. There is a plug towards the rear of the engine on each side just above the oil pan. Both need to be removed. Also replace your thermostat while you're at it. 70% of thermostats fail partially open and reduce fuel economy and can cause overheating that may not be noticed because it isn't a severe overheat like a stuck closed thermostat. I would also recommend taking in you rad cap to the parts house and have them pressure test it or just replace it, they are only about $8.

i'm getting ready to do this. any pictures of the engine block plugs? i also have the rear heater.......where would i pull the lines from? is there a connection underneath?
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Are you sure you need the Dexclog. My late 95 came with the regular old green stuff from the factory.

Topic author
violent b

Post by violent b »

BLAZER wrote:Are you sure you need the Dexclog. My late 95 came with the regular old green stuff from the factory.
I checked around and everywhere I've looked reccomends the Dexcool stuff. the stuff I pulled out of the van was an orangish color.

I went ahead and put the Prestone Dexcool coolant in, not the premixed stuff. I got some distilled water from my local Winn-Dixie and everything went smoothly. no leaks, and it seems like the thermostat is working fine.

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

BLAZER wrote:Are you sure you need the Dexclog. My late 95 came with the regular old green stuff from the factory.
mine also came with the green stuff. i got the delco green that needs to be mixed.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/