Crutial Astro Camping Advice Needed!

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Crutial Astro Camping Advice Needed!

Post by tribri1 »

In two weeks I pick up my van from GTRV with the new v-top and just 2 days later I embark on a 3200 roadtrip. So I have to be very strategic about the work I do to prep from my trip. My burning question is where do you mount the bottle opener? I had a sweet spot in my VW, but am not sure where to mount it on the Astro.
Attachments
P5112962.JPG
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Crutial Astro Camping Advice Needed!

Post by astroturf »

Front and Center...

Just like your Avatar.

LOLz, Jim

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Be sure to give us an update on where you decided to mount it!
Some trip updates would be cool too! :cheers:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Nice van.Bottle opener??.Camping??.Well I am thinking a mobile in the pocket unit is best just because you never know when......... :partyman: :yawinkle: :muhaha:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

I have to admit, I keep a mobile openner and was going to mount one on the custom rear off road bumper that never seemed to get built yet.

PDX to GTRV and back is a 14 hr day, yes? You are welcome to spend your first night in the pop top in the privacy of our back patio --neighbors can't see and our bedroom is on the other side of the house.

You can stay in house too if you like, but be warned we have a 6 month old. :yellin:

We are 3 or 4 minutes off I-5. About 20 min from the border, 45-60 min from GTRV depending. Then it should be a 5 hr shot home to PDX depending where exactly you are. Or if anything comes up and you need anything, PM me and I'll shoot you a phone number.

ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Post by tribri1 »

Right now I am thinking of bolting it to the molding to the rear of the slider.That only works if I can find something solid to bolt to. Nothing says extravagant like pulling into camp, putting up the awning and opening your beer off the body mounted opener. I like the bumper idea too. I may mount to the frame under the sliding door but that is a little harder to get to.

I will do a trip report for sure. Here's my route: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... fd&t=h&z=5 This is basically an exploratory trip, see the main areas and figure out where to come back to on future trips. My 8 year old son is going to get his first taste of mountain biking... hit some show caves... see some geysers and old men sketched in a mountain.

T Low thanks for the offer for a parking spot. GTRV moved their production shop to the Bay Area so I am heading south. I'll drop you a line if I head up your way though. Do the same if you head down through Portland.
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky