Van shopping, price differences, what to check for?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
evenglow
I am merely driving my van

Van shopping, price differences, what to check for?

Post by evenglow »

Hello all, although I'm not looking to buy right now I kinda made up my mind getting an older AstroSafari. So in addition to browsing these here forums I've been watching the Seattle area craigslist for AstroSafaris in the sub $4,000 and I'm starting to notice that prices range quite a bit across model years. Like a 1990 for $3,000 by owner then a 1991 for $1,500 by dealer that no one is buying and keeps getting re-listed. Or two of the same year but $2,000 for one and the other $4,000.

So my first question, is there really a GOOD reason for the price difference or is it people over pricing or under valuing the van? It seems like even the older vans will run forever so I don't know why there would be a big price difference for the same year van unless there is a major problem the owner knows about but hasn't mentioned. I've even seen running vans for under $700.

As far as what to look out for or what to expect I've learned that if the fuel pump hasn't been replaced I might as well order an ACDelco when I eventually buy the van, watch out for idler arms, and those two are the only gotchas I've come across so far.

I am going through the forums but if you'd like to comment that would be helpful. Thanks.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Van shopping, price differences, what to check for?

Post by MountainManJoe »

For that price range you should be able to get at least a '99. Don't get anything older than '97.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

yup for that price range the choice is yours.
Dont get anything newer than an 89.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

doyoulikeithere wrote:yup for that price range the choice is yours.
Dont get anything newer than an 89.
lol awesome

i bought a 1997 rwd last month for $200 off a neighbor and spent another $2500 doing brake lines, brakes all the way around, idlers, front swaybar and all shocks. personally i'd pick up a 97 or 98 that is ready to drive off the lot and spend what every budget that's left for a rainy day or making it more to my liking just my 2 cent
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
evenglow

Post by evenglow »

1996 and up is most likely what I'll go with and I'm just looking at that price range for now just trying to see what's out there, what's selling, and thought the price differences were just weird. I mean a 1989 for the same price as a 1997?

Thanks for the input.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Do you want AWD? 1999 is when the transfer case was changed to electronic.
Be on the lookout for posi rear axles (RPO G80) and gear ratios. I think dutch doors are neat.

Take a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6718

Topic author
evenglow

Post by evenglow »

Did come across that topic and looked a bit at the RPO codes. Just figure I'll bring the list with me when I go to check out vans.

Yes, I would prefer AWD but I'll take RWD if the prices is right. What's the benefit of an electronic transfer case?

There's another odd listing just today. $800 for a 2001 RWD passenger with hood dented upwards and supposed "bad catalytic converter." For that price I think they're would be something majorly wrong or comes with a trunk monkey from hell. I hate the listings with next to no info.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

The newer transfer case is an electronically activated, on-demand system. It monitors wheel speed for slippage and applies a variable clutch, so it should offer better handling. The old one is full time mechanical AWD that steadily applies 1/3 power to front, 2/3 to rear.

Usually the cheaper vans are cargos that don't come with all the interior niceties and windows like the passenger version.

Catalytic converters are expensive, and it's unlikely that just the hood was dented.

Topic author
evenglow

Post by evenglow »

Ah, good to know on the transfer case.

I've seen older cargo vans for more than newer passenger vans but the $800 one is passenger but they don't list any condition. Just 2 outside pics. That's why I asked about the pricing because it seems to be all over the place.

tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Post by tribri1 »

I was searching the Seattle and Portland Craigslist ads in March for my van. I was looking at 2003-2005 passenger AWD. The private party price ranged from $4700 to $6000, dealer ranged from $6000 to $11,000. Most dealer vans were right around $7000. Mileage was all about the same on all vans, 120k +/- 10k

I drove the private party van for $4700. It was in nice shape, one small dent, the check engine light was on, there was a squeal from the engine or the alternator, it was hard to tell. Rear Heat, no rear AC and standard rear doors.

I drove a dealer van for $6700. The exterior was in nice shape, interior looked like kids had a more than one wrestling session back there, It drove GREAT, had rear AC and dutch doors.

I went with a 2003 with rear AC and dutch doors. Exterior has a few small scratches, interior is near perfect, drove well, rotors are warped, but as far as I can tell no other mechanical issues.

I know the years are different, but hopefully that gives you a basic range in prices.
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safari kev »

my 97 cost $1600- had a grungy interior but cleaned up pretty nice. exterior was clean with 1 dent on left rear quarter. It had basic cloth seats, rear heat/ AC and tinted glass, base sound system, 4 crappy tires, and 140xxx miles. overall it ran amazing (gobs of power, good mileage) but looked like a rolling frat house inside.
my '99 (left factory in 99 but didnt get out of conversion co until 2000) cost me $600 (bad motor). with motor installed it cost me $3k. its an explorer high top conversion. has rear heat and AC, dutch doors, premium sound system with CD and cassette, rear defroster/ wiper (standard?) it has alloy rims (look like fancy silverado rims), running boards, exterior striping, a power rear bed, 4 captains chairs, a TV, VCR, mood lighting, and alot of woodwork. (a van like this would normally sell for about $4500 by a private seller)
so what makes 1 van cost over twice as much as the other given they're only 3 years apart and look similar? in short (IMO)- the conversion package. conversion vans are in much higher demand (for road trips) than passenger vans. they are also much flashier and contain options which simply werent available from the factory.
also, astrofari prices seem to almost double in the summer months due to their popularity in the midwest among road trippers (you cannot go anywhere in St. Louis without seeing at least 1 astrofari in the parking lot and during the summer the conversion vans come out en masse). you can buy vans here for under $1k, but most of them are rusted out 80's strip down pass. vans or ran into a tree/pole.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera