On the verge of overheating going up hills?

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
Derek939
I am smitten with my van

Re: On the verge of overheating going up hills?

Post by Derek939 »

So I got the new t stat in, I believe it may have fixed my problem. My old t stat had been cut out so I was worried until today when I made it up Mt.Hood with no issues at 65mph the whole way!

But with that being said I have some questions. My van is a 91 so my temp gauge does not show what degree each increment is, does anyone know? There are 3 bars then a small yellow mark then a red mark.

Last question, does anyone one know where my gauge should be reading for normal temp? Right now it warms up to halfway and stays there. It does not go much above or underneath. Just curious if that is normal.

Any and all help is appreciated! This site has already teached me a lot! I refer to here each time before I work on my van and read A LOT before I start working on my van!
1991 Astro RWD EXT w/187000 miles
1991 GMC safari RWD shorty w/151000 miles
Runs off of Bacon!
The revolution of the Maing Bus!!!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: On the verge of overheating going up hills?

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I don't know what the gradients are but I would think if you are right in the middle and it stays there, you are good to go! Glad you don't need a radiator...gotta love an easy fix. Maybe someone with the same dash can answer where theirs runs normally.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy