Shocks, Air Bags, Anything Else?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
altozwei
I am merely driving my van

Shocks, Air Bags, Anything Else?

Post by altozwei »

We've had our van for several months now but only just got back from our first extended trip (2 weeks) using it to tow our trailer. The results were somewhat less than desirable. Our trailer is a '97 Starcraft Venture and weighs less than 1500 lbs when unloaded. We never experienced any trailer sway with our old tow vehicle ( 2001 Nissan Quest) and the ride in the van was pretty wild sometimes - lots of bouncing, rolling and swaying. Yesterday, I replaced the stock tires with some 235-70-R15 (and new wheels) which has made some improvement as well as got the alignment corrected ( requiring replacement of the idler arms ) but now want to get the rest of that bouncing under control. I want to put in new shocks and a Hellwig anti-sway bar. Does this sound like the logical progression of things or am I missing something? Also, I am curious about an air lift system on the rear. The rear of the Astro drops lower than our Quest once the trailer is on ( a surprise ) and makes it much more difficult to get it in and out of our driveway due to an unfortunate flaw in the grade between street and sidewalk (thank goodness for Lynx Levelers or we'd do all our camping in the backyard). I tried looking up info on the air bag systems but got a little bogged down in the technical jargon when what I really need is "Air Bags for Dummies". So what are some good systems for the Astro and who sells them?

'97 Chevy Astro (stock, without factory tow package)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Shocks, Air Bags, Anything Else?

Post by Smiliesafari »

The rear anti sway bar will make a big difference. I added Monroe air shocks. I don't pull a trailer but do carry a 900-1000 load at all times. The van handles much better.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I towed our old Starcraft tent trailer a few times with our Safari and never had an issue so I'm surprised to hear about your encounter with that little weight.

That being said, I'd go air bags first and air shocks second. I've used air shocks in the past, but feel air bags are a better option given the way they mount and their ability to support more weight. Installation is more involved though. I just looked and i see kits from Air Lift and Firestone Ride-Rite. I guess you should also consider how often you really need the extra capacity. If it's only a handful of times a year and your trips are relatively short, then maybe air shocks are your better option.

I've had no experience with a rear anti-sway bar, but certainly feel it would be a great addition.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Guys have used this system to resolve the sag issue while towing:

http://www.timbren.com/

The nice part about it is it is only engaged when the wt is on and you don't have to add air to it or adjust the amount of air.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I have the airlift system and it is great. The stock steel leafs are not half as good as the old single leaf system I had on my older vans. When I am just running empty or with the family I run about 20psi but when I put the big travel trailer on then I run it up to 80-90psi and it takes all the bounce and sway out of it. I run a single channel airlift pump with the gauge and inflation buttons mounted by my right knee out of the way. The power wire and air line then runs down the drivers side behind all the paneling to the pump that I mounted behind the paneling just above the drivers side rear fender. Then a single airline runs through the floor with a small grommet to stop rubbing. Once under the van it tees off to both bags so they fill and drain at the same time that way you can't fill one and have one flat as that will really mess the ride up. I also put one other tee connector and ran a line up to the inside of the gas filler door that way if the pump fails I can use the air at a gas station to fill the bags.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
altozwei

Post by altozwei »

1Gary wrote:Guys have used this system to resolve the sag issue while towing:

http://www.timbren.com/

The nice part about it is it is only engaged when the wt is on and you don't have to add air to it or adjust the amount of air.

I'll have to give these a look. Thanks!