4Runner Solid Axle Swap

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

4Runner Solid Axle Swap

Post by Someone »

Well after months of waiting for parts and procrastination my parts are starting to come in, which means it is time to get to work. I decided to go with a Trail Gear SAS kit for this swap, as it is my first big job like this and it makes things a lot simpler and comes with all the little things like an axle rebuild kit. Everything in the kit looks nice so far, the only things that look a little cheap are the Front leaves... but they can always be upgraded later. For the rear of the truck I went with a set of Skyjacker springs because I got a great deal on them. Here are a couple pics of the truck on its last trip out up at the Coke plant in... april?.. I think?

3" Body, 2"susp 33X9.5 BFG A/T's

I think when I am done I should have 5" of suspension and the 3" body... I will propably end up removing the body lift, but I will try it out at first.. As of now it looks like I am going to be running a set of 36X12.5" TSL's.

A shot of my new axle still in the donor truck

IFS removed brackets still hanging

I cut most of the brackets off of the drivers side last night, the hardest part seems to be grinding down the welds to smooth out the frame, Maybe I need a courser grinding disc or something.

Got all of the front end stuff in this week.... I have alot of work ahead of me as this NEEDS to be done for the august long weekend... or I have missed a whole summer of wheelin'
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Topic author
Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

I got most of the crap taken off my frame, just a couple more things to cut off and clean up, My buddy went a little deep in one spot, I will have to fill it in.

I got most of the axle cleaned up, just waiting on some studs and a couple new nuts tommorow, I hope to have it gusseted and painted and ready to go tommorow.

I was looking threw my parts and am missing the steering stabalizer kit and some shock boots so I am going to have to get on them about that tommorow.
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Looking pretty good so far. Keep the pics coming.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

It has been a slow week but stuff is getting done, started cutting the holes in the frame for the shackle mount, welded up all of the axle reinforcement, and got one side of the spindle on last night. hopefully tonight the axle will be rolling and I can get some more of the welding done on the truck itself.

I also swapped out my master cylinder, booster and calipers for the larger V6 parts

'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Lookin good Tristan, as Dean said keep them pics comin \:D/

Topic author
Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

After a really busy weekend I have a few more cuts and bruises but almost have a finished truck aswell... just have to do the timing, pull it out of the garage and put the tires on it tonight, hopefully I can get it in for an emissions test tommorow morning.

I am a little worried it is going to fail the smog test as it has not really been driven in almost 2 years now and the cat has been punched out, but it did pass last time withthe cat punched. I will have to take it for a good boot tonight to make sure it passes tommorow so I can get my stickers so I can drive it upnorth on thursday.... cutting it close once again!

Axle complete

Not only was I doing the finishing touches on my truck all weekend, I was helping out on two other lifts aswell.. a 3" lift in a tacoma and a 6" in a K5 blazer

and my tires are mounted ready to go on

and some more tires for another 4runner

Hopefully tommorow there should be some pics of it complete... well actually I still have to make up a front driveshaft aswell
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Cool pics,one day i'm gonna have to get my lazy butt out your way and drop in to take a look at these projects \:D/

Topic author
Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

Just a couple of finishiing touches left to do... front drive shaft should be done tonight, needs a couple bulbs and a few things here and there but all in all in drives great and looks even better... cant wait to try it in 4 wheel drive!

'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Looks good Tristan,gonna have to get some shots of er all mudded up.

BTW,I saw your post on A.S re: emissions testing,I've used that gauranteed to pass twice now and it worked the 1st time but not the second time, I've seen a couple posts that mentioned using some other stuff (Methyl hrydrate ,MAYBE,not sure) a search should come up with whatever the stuff was,but the main thing is to get er good and warmed up,although with a punched cat I'm not sure if that will matter,good luck with it,let us know how you make out.

Topic author
Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

Well I have to admit, she ran awsome all weekend, had a couple of small issues on the trip out to bobcaygeon because it had not been driven in a couple years... I popped a waterr pump on the 401, got it delivered and changed it, then I blew a rear heater hose on #35 but it was easy enough to fix. after that she ran and drove mint.. I made my front drive shaft a little to short, I pulled it apart on one rock from to much flex, so I will have to make it longer... no biggie.

I was very amazed at how easy it went threw everything, propably went about 15 KM up the bass lake road trail, and did not even spin the tires once, just walked threw everything!

and a couple other trucks that were with us... I was most impressed by my buddys stock 98 4runner, the thing was flexing like crazy, I could not believe what it went threw, blew the YJ away that was with us by far!

'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Excellent report! One could adapt alot of your project to swapping a solid axle into an Astro.

Love your offroading pics! It is hard to beat a stock Toyota 4x4 when it comes to 4 wheeling. A few friends of mine run them with only two mods...high arch springs and 35 inch tires. That will get them into (and out of) some very tough terrain.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Sweet pics,looks like alot of fun

99s10
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by 99s10 »

Whats the chances of you finding another pair of axles like those in your forerunner? Im looking for a pair with the steering stuff

e7ats
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by e7ats »

Great picks.

I still have the itch to work on my van. Just need time and $$$$$
2003 AWD ASTRO Personal van

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Awesome! The picture of all those tires gave me goose bumps seeing all those pretty tires just laying there waiting to get the air let out and mud packed in em \:D/
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!