What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I purchased a conduit punch for the rack, a set of turn signals and another 8000K HID lighting kit. Now I just need a pipe bender, harness plugs, LED bulbs, a GMC emblem, the front metal aprons, a 3000K HID kit for fog lights, relays, time, another job to pay for all this.....

Piece by piece.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

SnoDrtRider
I get chills without my van.

Post by SnoDrtRider »

Tried to post this from my mobile device over the weekend by for some reason I could not sign in to the site from the Droid Razr...

Anyways...

Took the van for a nice 350 mile drive on Thursday to my cabin in The North Country of New York...

Just got back home this afternoon... 700 + trouble free miles (for the most part) I did encounter one problem though. The van likes to cruise 75-80 MPH and if I am not careful I find myself over that :-$

We did have a bit of snow/ice on the road when we first got to camp but the van handled it like it wasn't even there...

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Nice.........love the cabin. Great green metal roof. Just installed one on my house.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

wkastro

Post by wkastro »

Lovely cabin and spot in NY. What county? I have family in Chenango and Madison Counties.
2003 Astro AWD bought in January 2009
103,000 miles, Trucool 4590, ScanGageII, Michelin LTX 215/70R16, Tekonsha P3

2009 Chevrolet HHR
2001 HD XL1200S
1970 Austin Cooper 'S'

Retired:
1994 Astro AWD (sold in 1996, 50,000 miles in 2 years)
1992 Astro RWD (bought from GM fleet, traded for AWD in 1994)

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Damn, that looks like a nice quiet place! Love the cabin! I wouldn't have to wear my tin-foil hat if I had a roof like that.

:cheers:

....just to keep on topic, I bought the two metal covers that go below the turn signals on the grille today. I'm also waiting for the UPS driver to deliver my signals so I can post photos and figure out what bulbs I need for them.

SnoDrtRider

Post by SnoDrtRider »

wkastro wrote:Lovely cabin and spot in NY. What county? I have family in Chenango and Madison Counties.
We are in Lewis County... area is Tug Hill... anyone who snowmobiles knows of the area.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I watched a log of parameters I recorded with my DashDaq using Innovate Motorsports Logworks 3.0. The graphs are on the left screen and the right screen shows the data in gauges. I know it's hard to see but one of the plots on the graph has a lot of spikes, that is the fuel economy in real time. I've seen it go from 4mpg all the way up to 90mpg depending on how I'm driving and the road conditions:

1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safari kev »

been driving it. hit 168k yesterday
trans is still going out (sometimes it wont shift properly and will feel like a gear is only half engaged- if that makes sense)
front shocks need replacing bad- need to do that before I put on new tires. in the wind, its very hard to control on the highway. it bounces all over the lane like a roller coaster.

its going in thursday due to issues with brakes (left front pad is cracked, I think). it makes an awful grinding metal to metal noise when speed drops below 20 mph when stopping. this would explain why I've had issues when ABS kicks in at low speed and the van swerves a couple feet to the left (if anyone was to my left at the time, they would have been creamed by a van). I still despise ABS with a passion. It is worthless as far as I'm concerned as it increases stopping distances noticably and doesnt give you full control of the vehicle in dry and slightly wet conditions. I'm heavily considering pulling the fuses for winter. last thing I need is ABS kicking in and causing an accident in the snow and ice.
today, went to drive and found out the power steering reservoir was bone dry. went to oreillys before class and picked up some power steering fluid. it took over 3/4 of a quart (I put in extra since it leaks alot)
also getting new tires in the coming weeks prior to winter (have to get new shocks installed and an alignment first)
rear speakers still need to be replaced. wonder if I can bridge the speakers high and low channels to make the 4 rear speakers full range without blowing the amp (factory x-over points are no good for aftermarket speakers)
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Dropped the '04 panel off at North Shore Customs in Fort Atkinson, Wi to get the transmission changed. Didn't like the odds of the origional one making it through the winter. This van had options that I had been looking to find for a long time so I overlooked some red flags on this thing. With the "new" tranny I should have it all dealt with I think. Probably gonna put a 5.3 V8 in it come summertime.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safari kev »

lost second gear in the trans
so now I only have first and third. second and fourth work when they want to. I get bad vibrations anytime over 65 mph when I press the gas pedal. I guess I better save up to get my spare trans (145k) rebuilt and installed.
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Took a big chance and left for work with an empty tank, hoping to make it to town were gas is 122.9, instead of paying 125.9 at home.
Drove about 15 minutes to Chan's Gas station, and put in 88.2 litres. How close is that cutting it?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Your vans should have 27 gallon / 102 liter tanks, so not that close.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

27 gallons? If you're right.....I want one! :-s

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

yep, stock tank on "most" Astros is 27 gallons. all of mine have been that way.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I hate driving my Astros in Cali with the fuel pumps in the stations they have there. It is impossible to fill your tank.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....