Tow Monster

Topic author
ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Tow Monster

Post by ScottS »

Well I am in the planning stages of setting up my 98 AWD as the Tow Monster-basically want to upgrade all sytems to improve towing performance- any tips or ideas are welcome. Will be towing my race car on an open trailer about 4k lbs.

Here is what I have so far

Transmission cooler - which one ?

Trans mods - shift kts etc ? suggestions ?

Thicker radiator - for better cooling

Gearing 4:11 ?

New bigger throttle body ( more torque) he V8 will have to wait but will go in eventually , so my mods need to keep this in mind
Exhaust - cat back - any suggestions ?

Front brakes- upgrade to bigger truck brakes ? Which ones

Rear brakes- same issue

Prodigy brake controller

Engine montoring system in pillar pod

Timbren load helpers front and rear ( are they available for front on AWD ?)

New shocks ( which ones ?)

Sway bars

Weight distributing and anti sway hitch ( on the way, my FIRST purchase)

When I get the diff back n the 97 I will take the 98 off the road and start disassembling. It nneds some drivetrain components anyways so as I go through the van I will be upgrading

Help me fill out this list with part numbers etc

Thanks

Scott
Last edited by ScottS on Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Tow Monster

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

ScottS wrote:Well I am in the planning stages of setting up my 98 AWD as the Tow Monster-basically want to upgrade all sytems to improve towing performance- any tips or ideas are welcome. Will be towing my race car on an open trailer about 4k lbs.

Here is what I have so far

Transmission cooler - which one ? Tru-cool

Trans mods - shift kts etc ? suggestions ? Transgo 4L60E-HD2 Also add in a corvette servo

Thicker radiator - for better coolingSee dragonvan's rad post

New bigger throttle body ( more torque) he V8 will have to wait but will go in eventually , so my mods need to keep this in mind
Exhaust - cat back - any suggestions ?Skip these and do 4.10 gears!

Front brakes- upgrade to bigger truck brakes ? Which onesUse 3/4 ton GM calipers from a late 70's - 80's K20 truck

Rear brakes- same issue

Prodigy brake controller Excellent choice

Engine montoring system in pillar pod Go with at least a tranny temp gauge.

Timbren load helpers front and rear ( are they available for front on AWD ?)

New shocks ( which ones ?) Rancho, Bilsteins etc.

Weight distributing and anti sway hitch ( on the way, my FIRST purchase)

When I get the diff back n the 97 I will take the 98 off the road and start disassembling. It nneds some drivetrain components anyways so as I go through the van I will be upgrading

Help me fill out this list with part numbers etc

Thanks

Scott
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

On the Tru Cool tranny cooler, go with the largest physical size or highest GVW rating if they are listed that way. Bigger is better in this application. I put the new one in line before the factory cooler to drop the temp, and then run through the factory cooler in the radiator. This keeps the fluid from being too cold in the winter, which can cause some drivability issues.

I think the radiator is fine, but if you're worried, get a heavy-duty thermal clutch for your fan. The factory radiators are really good, IMO.

I double agree on skipping the throttle body/muffler and going with 4.10 gears. you will see more improvement with a gear change than any other mod, and lower gears can ease many other problems by decreasing the load on the drive train. Your tranny will thank you. Absolutely the best bang for the buck.

For the rear brakes, the 11" caprice police car swap is the best deal going.

There are no helper springs for the front of an AWD that I know of. You should be fine with just better shocks, since very little additional load is carried on the front when towing, even with the WD hitch.

If you're serious about the rear springs, take it to a spring shop and have a leaf added right below the main leaf, not at the bottom like an "add-a-leaf". Much more effective and not nearly as harsh riding. A rear sway bar will do wonders when towing.

My $.02

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Aha - sway bars forgot about those !
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

As rlsllc said, he is dead on......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If you order the Hellwig through Summit Racing...you may have to wait a while. Mine has been on order for almost 2 months. ](*,)
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Plus a shift kit, and a Corvette servo, this will make your trans shift crisper / sharper, creating less heat.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

in the interests of reliablity, I am going to put on a new water pump, serp belt, idler, probably the egr valve, and upgrade the alternator to somthing with more amps . THis can all be done when teh radiator is out.

I want to get where I am going . If I go to 4:11,s I will also replace the bearings in both dfs etc. When I upgrade the rear brakes I can replace the wheel bearings. Will probaby put Moog dlers and ball joints on the frnt as well as new hubs and halfshafts. ( I have to replace a cv joint anyways )

Hopefully I can pile up all the parts as funds allow and then do this all at once.
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Wen I get achance tonight or tomorow I wil consolidat ethe list and get part numbers etc, maybe even put soe prices to keep a running total

Keep the good ideas coming !
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

ScottS wrote:in the interests of reliablity, I am going to put on a new water pump, serp belt, idler, probably the egr valve, and upgrade the alternator to somthing with more amps . THis can all be done when teh radiator is out.

I want to get where I am going . If I go to 4:11,s I will also replace the bearings in both dfs etc. When I upgrade the rear brakes I can replace the wheel bearings. Will probaby put Moog dlers and ball joints on the frnt as well as new hubs and halfshafts. ( I have to replace a cv joint anyways )

Hopefully I can pile up all the parts as funds allow and then do this all at once.
Good choices...... Here is my W-pump disc, which increases flow...... You can easily make one from a Stainless steel disc (doesn`t corrode)

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I forgot to post http://www.flowkooler.com/home.php for a great waterpump cooling site.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Thanks for the link, Darren. I added it to my bookmarks. :D
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Good info ! I am getting a lift or my garage so this winter I should be able to do this stuff
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD