Replaced distributor cap and rotor; still running bad

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
JTalley
I sleep in my van

Replaced distributor cap and rotor; still running bad

Post by JTalley »

My distributor cap and rotor were bad, but they were working well enough to get by. I had to replace my intake manifold gasket (TWICE), so I had the wires all off several times, and after that it ran terrible. I had the wires labeled, so I don't think I put them on wrong. I replaced the cap and rotor, and there was only a small, barely noticeable difference. It still runs worse than it did before I had the wires off. I adjusted the timing back to the timing mark when I was done with the manifold, tried to clean the end of the bad looking wire until it seemed to be ok and put on the new cap and rotor.

It's sputtering, missing randomly, and going through WAY too much fuel. I'm thinking it's the distributor wire, but I don't have enough for all the wires and I want to do the cheaper options first because I already owe several people money, having borrowed it from them to fix the manifold in the first place.

Besides that wire, what all could it be?
Jake

Ed- 1992 Astro, RWD, 4.3l V6 (purchased Feb. 2011)
FlowTech Red Hots glasspack exhaust (finally got it put on there!)
Old rides (earlier to later)
2004 Honda 250 Rebel (my dad's bike, he let me use it)
Neko- 1991 S10 Blazer, 4x4, 4-door (SOLD Feb. 2011)
Custom (aka failed) diy paint job- red with black stripe

MrJames
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Replaced distributor cap and rotor; still running bad

Post by MrJames »

I know that it sucks to not have any money. If your problem is due to wires needing replacement then how much time will pass at the poor gas mileage you report before you indirectly pay for new wires in fuel before getting them ?

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

How do the plugs look?
Another thought is that oily or dirty wires can be the cause of them arcing to ground thru the insulation, causing misfires.
If you just changed the manifold gaskets twice, and played around a lot with the wires, you might have given them a good coat of oil and dirt.
I cant say this will solve your problem, but its free and may help.
Pull the wires off and wash them with soapy warm water. Don't soak them, but use a sudsy facecloth to clean them off.
Anyways, after they are dry and your hands are reasonably clean, re-install them and take lots of care to route them in a way that will minimize the chance of arcing to ground through the insulation.
My jeep would run like poo if it was raining or snowy, but I washed the dirt off the wires and routed them carefully, and it helped quite a bit. I was surprised.
Just my random thoughts.....
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MrJames
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by MrJames »

Poor plugs can also be your problem. When was the last time they and the wires were changed ?

In addition to dirt and oil if the wires are cracked then they will arch causing a loss of power especially in moist air.

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

Open the hood in the evening-dark condition- fire up your engine and see where you have sparks flying.This will tell you what should be replaced concerning your ignition parts.
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion