Rusted out sparkplug

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rusted out sparkplug

Post by SafariRob »

The mechanic at work showed me this 50,000 mile sparkplug...I'd never seen one so badly rusted that the metal let go when trying to remove the plug. I guess it shows how thin the metal is just above the threads.
However, the mechanic says that this problem only seems to occur on the newer V8 Dodge vans at work, and then just on the passenger side. His explanation is that Dodge no longer puts the rubber splash deflectors on the passenger fenderwell and road water easily gets onto the sparkplugs and causes the rusting.
Makes me think that I had better put that splash guard back on my Astro--I yanked it some time ago while replacing the sparkplugs.
By the way, he had to use an easy-out to remove the base of this sparkplug and even with that, it put up a real fight.

Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

You payin attention Deano?? LOL

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Look at the wear on the tips of that thing though...

It's got to be 150K+ miles not 50K.
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

astrozam wrote:You payin attention Deano?? LOL
Ummmm...yeah I am! :-s Guess I better look at the SPB for possible issues!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
astrozam wrote:You payin attention Deano?? LOL
Ummmm...yeah I am! :-s Guess I better look at the SPB for possible issues!
The SPB has a Dodge V8?you've been busy this past week,LOL

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

CD, I'm going to check about the mileage on that plug when I see the mechanic next week. You've got me wondering if I remember correctly.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

No V8 in the SPB Zam! LOL But the dodge vans have either the old 318 or 360 V8's, not the Hemi engine. They never put the hemi in the full size vans that I am aware of.

I was more concerned with the plug falling apart like that because I removed the inner splash sheild last summer in the SPB and the engine was well covered in salt and sand over the winter!

I did replace the plugs in the hemi yesterday though. They all (16) came out ok except for 2 that I thought were screwed! I never-seized the threads on the new ones and hopefully in 60k miles they will come out ok.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote: But the dodge vans have either the old 318 or 360 V8's, not the Hemi engine. They never put the hemi in the full size vans that I am aware of.
Dean, these Dodge vans have the 318...
...just so you'd know!
Rob Shaver

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I've extracted several of these from 4.3 Blazers. It is a real blast to do. It makes me really want to keep up on plug changes. One of the Blazers actually launched one (middle plug, right side IIRC) plug out of the head, threadless, of course. The back plugs are the worst. ](*,)

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

This is the first time I'd ever even heard of a sparkplug rusting apart--I'd never even considered the possibility until the mechanic showed me the plug. I guess I hoped that this problem only affected Champion plugs, seems like they've had a bad reputation for other problems.
Naturally, now that I know this can happen, what do you want to bet that my van will have this problem soon? lol.
Rob Shaver

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I think one of the Blazers had Champion, but IIRC, the worst one had A/C plugs. I can't blame the plug totally, the whole Blazer was like it had been towed behind a salt truck all it's life. The first one wasn't real bad, rust wise. I hope you don't get the fun of wrestling them out, but if you do, I've got it down: You will need to drop the piston down, get an easyout and a socket to fit it (lisle makes one, can be had a sears), long extentions to get you out to the wheel well, (tires off) and run the easyout into the hole. Give it a couple of good taps with a hammer, while turning if possible, The easyout will have to bend the ground wire on the plug casing out of the way, you will feel it come against it. Fingers crossed that it doesn't snap off. I have heated around the plug with the smoke wrench, just be careful, It did help on a couple that were extra stubborn. After I got all the plugs out, I spun the motor over for a few sconds to hopefully clear any debris. That and it sounds cool to spin one over with no plugs in it.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

By the way, I finally remembered to ask the mechanic how many miles were on that plug...60k.
Rob Shaver

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Re: Rusted out sparkplug

Post by v8famvan »

Had the same thing happen to me on a Ford Tempo after not having the plugs changed for 7 years........ ](*,)
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian