Help on changing antifreeze in an AWD Astro

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
gary
I am merely driving my van

Help on changing antifreeze in an AWD Astro

Post by gary »

I'd like to change the antifreeze myself on my 2002 astro awd van.

I couldn't find a manual for the awd vans so I bought the Hanyes Manual anyway which is only for 2 wd.

According to the manual I should first drain the radiator via the drain fitting, then remove the block drain plugs to drain it completely.

I see the block drain plugs OK, but I can't see any way of getting to where the radiator drain plug is. There's just too much stuff in the way on this awd.

Is there any easier way of doing this by removing a panel or something?

Or does it have to be done using one of those "back flush kits" which means I'm going to probably end-up paying the local dealer to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gary

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The quickest way is to just pull the lower rad hose. But be ready for a torrent of fluid.

Topic author
gary

Post by gary »

Smiliesafari wrote:The quickest way is to just pull the lower rad hose. But be ready for a torrent of fluid.
I guess I'm not too worried about the flash flood of fluid (those cheap little $4 kiddie pools from Walmart slide right under the vehicle and work well at catching stuff), but how well will this drain the system? For example, Is this a very "low point"?

Should I still take out the engine drain plugs to more completely drain the system? If I do take them out, should I put some sort of sealant or tape on the threads when I put them back?

If I can't completely drain it, may be I should not flush it with the garden hose because then I won't be able to get the water competely out of the system and this will dilute my 50/50 ready mix antifreeze too much?

Can you tell I've never ready done this before on this type of vehicle.

Thanks again for any help. Gary

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Gary, Pulling the block plugs is a good idea but not really necessary. The garden hose flush will get most of the old anti freeze out. Don't be too anal about it. After all there are people that never do proper maintenance and their vehicles last just as long.