Junkyard V8 rescue

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Oh c'mon now, Rob. The 305 was a first attempt and the fact is, she runs relatively well. Don't beat on the poor thing for no good reason....
I'm anxious to see what you do next with the Olds.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I believe I mentioned that the number 4 main bearing was really hosed--looks like it was somehow smashed. Turns out the crankshaft was never turned during the last rebuild; somebody just put in oversized bearings and called it good enough. That trick came close to working okay with the other crank bearings, but not number 4. It was way too tight and both the bearing and the crank journal suffered for it.
Next stop is to have the crank ground. I think I'll take it to a machine shop near here that's been in operation since 1926; I'd like to believe that they know what they're doing.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

You would think.... [-o<
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

This is turning into a cool project Rob, good luck with it and don't forget the pics when ya get the chance =D>

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I had the pistons and crank checked out: the crank needs to be turned down .010 on both the mains and the rod bearing journals and then it'll be okay. However, 3 of the 8 pistons are out of spec. One of them had hit an intake valve, but the other two appear to have been sloppily manufactured. They are cast, no-name pistons--the previous rebuilder didn't exactly splurge when it came to getting the parts for his rebuild. That doesn't surprise me when I take into account the crank bearing situation.

Hmm, the facts are now in, so I have to figure out my next step; rebuild it or no.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

I've decided to let this project sit for the time being...I've got credit card bills from the holidays and the radiant floor project to contend with first before spending the bucks on something else. Sigh...engines are so much more fun.

So, I'm wiping down the machined surfaces with oil to scare off rust and slipping an engine bag over the block. All the parts will be stored in a heated space.
Hey, I wonder iff the wife would consider letting me store everything in the newly radiantly heated bathroom.
Naw, I don't think so. :-#
Rob Shaver

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

better to look after the bills and mama 1st, you'll get around to the engine =D> I gots faith in ya Rob

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Been getting the bug to rebuild an engine and naturally, the Olds 350 comes to mind. So, just for the fun of it, I hit the net looking for the parts--things like pistons, bearings, cam, and etc.
Whoo boy, a person better have some disposable income if they want to rebuild an Olds engine. Seems like all the parts come with price tags in increments of $500, especially if you want to add modifications, like adjustable valve lash and roller cams.
Still got the bug to rebuild an engine, but I think the Olds will have to wait a bit longer. Money is the main issue, but I need to know more about the choices in engine rebuilding so I don't make the same mistakes over again.
Hmmm, maybe I should find a Chevy 350 to rebuild. Sure would be cheaper than the Olds.
Rob Shaver

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I seem to have the same bug Rob. Must be going around. I went so far as to completely disassemble my 86 350 sitting here that we pulled from my buddies van. I knew it had spun a rod bearing but didn't care as I was planning a 383 roller. Kinda bummed now though. The block is not machined for the roller cam and worse, EVERY damned bearing in this thing was either shot, spun, cracked, warped or just plain wore through which left the line bore (the area where the crank sits) severely scratched, over sized or burnt. By the time I get all the machine work done it will be cheaper to get an already built short block.

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Well, I should have know better...
I went to the local junkyard today just to poke around and see if any Astro/Safaris have shown up. Had I only done that, all would be cool. But no, I notice a recent acquisition, a 92 GMC Vandura with a V8. Of course, I know that the V8 is a 305, isn't that what all of 'em have, but I figure I'll check.
Uh-oh, it's a 350 with TBI; the engine is 99% complete. Even the computer is present. Worse, the 350 is calling my name and I can't say no.
So for $150 here's what I'm getting--
350 engine (block number 10054727) with all manifolds and flexplate, runs well but uses antifreeze, suspected blown head gasket. Mileage unknown as someone bought the speedometer and gauges.
Power steering pump with remote reservoir. Looks to be in good shape.
Alternator. Also looks good, will be testing it this afternoon.
Aluminum serpentine accessory brackets and pulleys.
Water pump, no evidence of leaks or sloppy bearings. Complete with fan and fan clutch.
Distributor and coil. Distributor looks good.
TBI, MAF, EGR, EST--all the EFI stuff.
The ECM, part number 88999164. I'm not familiar with that ECM.
...and I'll be removing all the EFI wiring from the van. Only engine part missing is the starter.

So, why am I getting this? Pharooked if I know. I just can't walk away from an abandoned V8, especially a Chevy 350. I anticipate resurrecting the beast in stock form and then figuring out what I want to do with it. A certain 1989 Astro comes to mind, but slipping this engine into my 82 Olds Delta 88 would be too cool.
At any rate, I'm blaming my impulse buying on Lockdoc. Everyone knows that he's a bad influence.
Bad, Lockdoc, bad!
Last edited by SafariRob on Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Shaver

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Yeah, Bill is definitely bad news. I don't even answer his phone calls anymore. Avoid him like the plague, that's what I do...
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Put it in the Delta!!!!!

But then I'm biased a little...

CD Smalley
Aurora, NE
1991 W41 #142
1995 Astro
1989 9C1
1986 Caprice
1977-90 GM B-Body email list Owner @ yahoogroups.com

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

CD,
That's what I'd really like to do--put the Chevy 350, along with all the EFI stuff, into the 82 Olds D88 I own. But I'd like to go farther than that, as long as I'm dreaming and all, and also drop in a Tremec 5 speed manual transmission.

So, I'm presently keeping an eye out for things like the clutch pedal assembly from a G body (I understand these can be modified to work in a B body) and the B body Chevy engine mounts. You wouldn't think that finding the engine mount pieces for a Chevy engine in a B body would be difficult, but it hasn't been easy so far. Typically, any engine removed from a B body was torched out so the parts were destroyed. Plus, the local junkyards around here have gone hog wild crushing the B bodies for there scrap value (same with the Astros and Safaris).

Anyway, I can dream, can't I?

Hmmm, ya know CD, I think I need to make a post over on your Yahoo B body list about something or other...
Rob Shaver

Topic author
SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Disassembled the engine to see what I could see...and it's not a roller cam. It doesn't even have the cast bosses in the lifter valley that could be machined for the factory roller lifter spider, either.
And it's not even a 4 bolt main. Oh well.
I see that a blown head gasket between cylinders 3 and 5 caused the antifreeze to get used by the engine. The antifreeze also got mixed into the oil. What I drained out of the pan looked like a chocolate milkshake and I was worried that the bearings would have seized and spun in the journals. But everything looked okay once I got it apart completely. The bearings did take a beating, but nothing looks to have overheated and spun.
I dropped it off at the machine shop today and the shop owner gave it a quick look over--he didn't see anything obviously bad that would've made the engine junk. So, I'm having him clean all the major parts and mike the engine to see where it stands.
Rob Shaver

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Just doing a little catching up Rob and does look like you've got the bug again.lol
What's the latest on the 350 build ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words