New Member from NY

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
ruecifur
I am merely driving my van

New Member from NY

Post by ruecifur »

Hi my name is Mike and I'm from rockaway beach NY. I own a 99 astro AWD that i bought to get to surf spots and to camp in. I've pulled the rear carpet and installed hardwood flooring, and added a power reclining bench that folds flat to a bed. Plans to add a small kitchen and an awning are in the works. I will also be doing the 4wd t-case swap and lifting to fit either 30x9.5's or 31's, I'm still undecided. I don't go offroad much other than sand, and would prefer the better gas mileage. T-Low and Herbie have been very inspirational, and I may end up attempting to build my own pop top eventually. Currently my van is out of commission due to a bad crank sensor but it should be fixed soon. I LOVE MY VAN!!!!

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: New Member from NY

Post by okie1 »

Welcome, Rockaway Beach is nice, good luck with your project

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Rue, i did not mean to lead you astray, i am sorry. Take my advice now; sell your van, throw your laptop in garbage and run away as fast as you can and forget that you ever saw this site. These people are wack!

(then, can i have dibbs on your power reclining seat? :) )
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
ruecifur

Post by ruecifur »

T.Low wrote:Rue, i did not mean to lead you astray, i am sorry. Take my advice now; sell your van, throw your laptop in garbage and run away as fast as you can and forget that you ever saw this site. These people are wack!

(then, can i have dibbs on your power reclining seat? :) )
LOL... I wish. This will be the 7th 4wd that i've torn into. I've had 2 jeep cherokees, a wrangler, a toyota pickup, a samurai and a monster 4x4 chevy van. Going to 30x9.5's will be the smallest tire I've ever lifted to fit. The power seat was a craig's list score. 100 bucks and an easy instal in the van

sandfly
I get chills without my van.

Post by sandfly »

welcome fellow surf fisherman
this is what i ran on the beaches before moving here;

sandfly/bob
(http://www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
I didn't Escape----They gave me a day pass !
95 astro SOLD
needs work no $$$$.$$
overland vans 4" lift
30 x 9.50 x 15 tires
I want more!!
taking donations for the home for wayward vanners...
1990 ford E-150 original 104,000 + miles

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

ruecifur wrote: T-Low and Herbie have been very inspirational, and I may end up attempting to build my own pop top eventually. I LOVE MY VAN!!!!

That's very cool, but Dean, Blazer, Loc Doc, Petey, Sand Fly, and others were the pioneers. Herbie will agree that we are the next gen. But it's all one big happy family. :rock: :partyman: :-({|= :cheers: :axe: :canuk: :usa: #-o :drinkers:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
ruecifur

Post by ruecifur »

T.Low wrote:
ruecifur wrote: T-Low and Herbie have been very inspirational, and I may end up attempting to build my own pop top eventually. I LOVE MY VAN!!!!

That's very cool, but Dean, Blazer, Loc Doc, Petey, Sand Fly, and others were the pioneers. Herbie will agree that we are the next gen. But it's all one big happy family. :rock: :partyman: :-({|= :cheers: :axe: :canuk: :usa: #-o :drinkers:
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, and the information available from ALL of the members is fantastic. I've owned and built several 4x4's, including complete drivetrain swaps in jeeps and toyotas, and SOA swaps among many other mods. What sold me on the astro was the simplicity of the modifications. It's a whole lot simpler when people have gone before you and done it. I plan on using 3" body lift blocks, 1" of torsion crank to achieve my front lift and I have some springs from a toyota SAS lying around that look like they might work for the rear. I also happen to have a np233c with harness and driveshafts sitting around.

oh and sandfly the waves i hunt for are to ride :) I wish I had the patience to fish, cause i certainly like to eat it

sandfly
I get chills without my van.

Post by sandfly »

Did a little of that in the 70's while fishing but stuck with fishing as I got older..used to go to cape may, in the fall for some waves..
sandfly/bob
(http://www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
I didn't Escape----They gave me a day pass !
95 astro SOLD
needs work no $$$$.$$
overland vans 4" lift
30 x 9.50 x 15 tires
I want more!!
taking donations for the home for wayward vanners...
1990 ford E-150 original 104,000 + miles