I get my van this week!

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
DorisTheFunkasaurus
I am merely driving my van

I get my van this week!

Post by DorisTheFunkasaurus »

Hey everyone
I've been wanting a van for as long as I can remember, and I finally found 'the one'... sending off the final paperwork today and it's mine all mine.

It's a '99 RWD high top conversion that I want to lift 4". I hope you guys might be able to offer me some good advice, because so far- none of the local shops have taken me seriously. Lift an astro?!

My brother in law is a mechanic and I've printed out the full thread on the home brew lift kit one of your members wrote while lifting his '95 AWD. Hoping that cuts out some of the research, I'm a little worried to go with an overland kit after reading more about them. Like everyone else, I'm on a budget- if we can source the parts ourselves and same some cash, then maybe I can get my paint job sooner, too. My biggest question right now is...what are the main differences when lifting AWD vs. RWD?

Happy to be here! Thanks for your words of wisdom and it's nice to find a group of people that get it. I work with a bunch of people that don't get it... they can't figure out why on earth I'd be excited to be buying a used astro minivan.
1999 2WD Astro high-top conversion
Undergoing surgery for a 2" OV lift kit and some new shoes

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: I get my van this week!

Post by astroturf »

Welcome Aboard

Jim

MrJames
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by MrJames »

Welcome !!!

With your new to you van being a "high top", I would be reluctant to raise the center of gravity any more than it already is. You may even wish to install a rear sway bar instead.

There are many more knowledgeable people here with advice that well exceeds mine on this subject.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

I own a conversion van.In fact I took off a conversion van top to put it on another van.It's wt is a two man handling operation.Not very heavy at all.Might be even lighter that the roof cut out.So the CG shouldn't come into play with a lift.Mine I am planing a 3" lift.That is because of my age and not willing to "try" to climb into anything taller on a daily basis.I am going to use a 29" tire after the lift.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

The main difference is the type of suspension in the front. The AWD used torsion bars, and the RWD uses springs. I'm sure if you email the Overland Vans owner, he can send you a copy of the instructions that come with the kit. As for sourcing locally, the title escapes me right now, but a member has written a pretty good topic about that.

Good luck with your project, and welcome to the forum. We love pics :D

Topic author
DorisTheFunkasaurus

Thank you guys! I was worried a little about it being top heavy, but I've seen a few high tops that are lifted and wanted to give it a go. I'd be willing to go with less than a 4" lift though. I think I've found that thread about sourcing my own kit- some really great information there. I've saved all the links posted for parts- knowing I won't be getting all the exact same parts, but trusting the sources more coming from all of you.

There will be pictures for sure! It's going to be one bad mutha, someday.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Welcome!

A 2" subframe list is basically the same on a 2wd or AWD. If you want more, it is going to be different. (Usually the other 2" come from tensioning the torsion bar on the AWD, which obviously can't be done on the 2wd. Instead you'll have to add coil spacers or new springs.) The rear end lift will be the same on a 2wd or AWD, meaning using extended shackles, add-a-leafs, new springs or combo of the three.

I wouldn't worry about it being top heavy. My van is a hi-top conversion and It will see a 4-5" lift plus lift from the tires. Changing my CG significantly is the last thing I'm worrying about!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

These vans have a wide track with most of weight down in the chassis. A hightop doesn't weigh that much so it doesn't shift the COG very much at all.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Yes too a sway bar. Plus, like Gary said, the fiberglass hightop probably doesnt weigh much different than the steel roof did.
If you can budget for new leaf springs, and learn where and which kind to get, you will probably get all the lift you need, plus a very much nicer feeling ride with brand new springs compared to lifting up on top of old worn out leaf springs. You can almost always find a shop that works on smaller & bigger trucks and they will get or make some for ya. just 1 good example... http://www.islandspring2010.com/ I dunno about the front though, on a 2wd. Others will fill you in.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

This is a picture of Lockdoc's 4" pipe lift.

The way it works is you select how high based on the length of the 4" I.D. schedule 40 pipe and it gets welded to the sub frame and the end gets welded/caped off.You on center cut a hole exactly the size that was on the sub frame on the caped off pipe and open up the sub frame hole so you can slide the mount up into the pipe using the same length bolts as the stock ones where.Anything beyond 2" needs a different intermediate steering shaft.Those can be gotten off the larger newer vans like a Savanna.The brake lines will extend down off the coils that are near the master cylinder.The E-brake bracket you have to disconnect and bend for the new lift.

I think one advantage is a stock riding van that sway bar improvements can be made and it is completely as safe as OEM providing good welds are done.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
DorisTheFunkasaurus

Awesome. Thanks guys. Will be printing this off and sharing with the guys performing this surgery for me. I wish I could just do it myself! I had a little bit of welding in art school but nothing at all to be applied to the real world.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

I want to stress how important it is to get the holes exactly on center to the original ones of the sub frame.

Rochester,NY

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Welcome! I've had my 2001 LT AWD for about 5 1/2 years now and love it. Not new but yes, I'll probably be buried in my van.

I had a 10" hitop installed last summer and actually get 2-3 mpg better than before. The extra headroom is great and the only drawback that I can see is that I can't park it in the garage anymore.
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Yup, Hightops are awesome.
Got any funky pictures to share Doris?
DorisTheFunkasaurus wrote:... they can't figure out why on earth I'd be excited to be buying a used astro minivan.
Ya, Been there..... Lol.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
DorisTheFunkasaurus

No pictures yet....actually, no van yet! It's coming from a Porsche dealer in Cleveland, I expect a big truck to pull up in front of my house any day now. It makes things even more awkward to be sending off checks/paperwork to a Porsche dealer from my work- I work with a bunch of yuppies that would find it totally normal to be buying a Porsche. But no- not me. I'm trucking in a used Astro van.

I finally gave in and called my best option for a local 4X4/custom van/truck shop to ask for an estimate, and I could tell the guy doesn't think I'm serious. He said "ooof...lift an Astro??? I dunno.. Let me get back with you." So I may be in the hands of my mechanic brother in law, the most opinionated and knowledgable (according to him) guy on earth.

But first, I need the van. If I don't hear something back soon on ETA I might be renting a car and driving to Cleveland. Starting to get a little anxious here.