air shocks and composite springs

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
sundanceuk
I am smitten with my van

air shocks and composite springs

Post by sundanceuk »

Hi, Long time since I frequentent these pages so I hope you will be able to help me out.

I have a 93 Astro ext, Rear Wheel Drive, With the dreaded Composite rear springs (Fiber glass, carbon fibre or what ever they are made of), Now Ive been told that it is a No No to fit Air Shocks to a van fitted with these springs and indeed when I look up the manufactuers listing they all stop short of the vans with these springs.
There are a few vans over here in the UK that are running these shocks/spring set up with NO Apparent problems, I would dearly love to change my rear suspension set up for better towing handling, air shocks would be a easier and cheaper option, Steel springs would be even better But finding a late model van being parted out over here in the UK is like trying to find Hens Teeth!!, shipping them in from the USA would be expensive and If I was to do that then I would go the overland vans route anyway.

So could you guys please give me your opinions on fitting air shocks to a stock 93 vans rear suspensions.

PS If you need to know what my van is like It was the first ever Van Of The month on here.
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: air shocks and composite springs

Post by 1Gary »

The only reason I can think of the air shock companies don't want you to use the air shocks is the still inherent risk factor of the fiberglass springs.Certainly the air shocks take much of that load off the springs.
As far as the spring upgrade is concerned,it isn't limited to just the later model Astro's.Guys here have used the multi stage S10 steel springs too.One user on this site that I can think of is:doyoulikeitthere -PM him and can better explain what he did on his van.

Here is a ref link:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7588
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

RockAuto lists ACDelco Air Shocks for your vehicle...

I say go for it.

Jim

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I don't see why there would be a problem swapping the stock shocks out for air shocks. They would take some of the load off the mono-leaf springs. Now, if you are talking about air bags over the springs, you can't install them on the mono-leaf because of having to bolt brackets onto the springs themselves.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Maybe there's a spring shop near you that can bend some to make them fit your van.

markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I had a 94 with sagging fiberglass rear springs and I put air shocks on it with no problems, as a matter of fact I took them off that van and added them to my 89 cargo project van just so I can still tow with it.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

WorkinMan'sAstroVan
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by WorkinMan'sAstroVan »

I am a contractor working out of an astro. It has no choice but to be loaded, ready and as a result, very heavy. I previously used a 92 Safari for the same purpose. It had the fiberglass rear springs. I fitted it with adjustable air shocks anyway as an effort to improve handling and sway and such. The shocks performed very well and I had no trouble from the springs at all. I don't know if it was the shocks I chose of if they all come this way, but they both fill from a 'T' fitting to a single schrader valve. I installed them each with their own valve so that each would operate independently of the other. I felt that the single valve would allow air to pass from one shock to the other in turns and would result in more dangerous handling than regular shocks. The only issue I had with the setup was regulating equal pressure.
1998 Astro Cargo AWD
Bought empty, rolls at 5932lbs
rear leaf upgraded from stock 3ply to 5ply professionally
new front Timkin hub assembly's
new Moog heavy idler arms
new front sway bar
4 new ball joints, new sway links, new front shafts
BFG AT/KO (best affordable tire that fits stock and has load range 'c'(love em and rotate em!))
Lucas Fluids all around
External tranny cooler
CB radio
too many other minor customizations to mention including 1 vintage Audi part!