Hard start

Topic author
astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Hard start

Post by astrozam »

o.k,this is on my 95 astro,not guaranteed to work but its worth a shot if your symptoms are the same,2 days ago van ran great,got home parked it then the big snow hit. Next day went out to start it and it just wouldn't catch,cranked well had spark and fuel but would not catch.Today went back out same thing so I checked my cap and rotor replaced both with OEM,had a funky plug wire replaced that as well,still nothing.Checked the ignition coil and the pick-up coil both o.k,phoned CAA for a tow over to the garage,old timer driver gets in holds gas pedal to the floor then trys crankin it over just lets up on the gas pedal a bit and boom she fires up like new,guy says he see's this problem with these vans a couple times a week.

So hold the gas pedal to the floor (don't pump) then crank,letoff just slightly on the pedal and it should catch

p.s don't crank for more than about 7-8 sec at a time,let it rest about a minute before trying again.

Another trick which has worked in the past especially when the plugs and cap have moisture on them is to spray a very light coat of wd-40 on them,let it sit for a few minutes then give the above method a try.

If you have any tricks to get a hard start started,add them to this thread.
Last edited by astrozam on Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

:-k :-k :-k

New to me.

What is your engine/intake/year?
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Water Boy wrote::-k :-k :-k

New to me.

What is your engine/intake/year?
95 astro 4.3 cmfi

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Zam, on the older TBI vans, you did a "clear flood" by holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking the engine. Is this the same for a 95? Even if it is, it doesn't explain how the engine got flooded to begin with.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
astrozam

Post by astrozam »

SafariRob wrote:Zam, on the older TBI vans, you did a "clear flood" by holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking the engine. Is this the same for a 95? Even if it is, it doesn't explain how the engine got flooded to begin with.
Well, the engine got flooded cause I like a dummy pumped the pedal,I know this is tabu for a F.I but sometimes aggravation takes over where intelligence leaves off,lol

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

astrozam wrote:
SafariRob wrote:Zam, on the older TBI vans, you did a "clear flood" by holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking the engine. Is this the same for a 95? Even if it is, it doesn't explain how the engine got flooded to begin with.
Well, the engine got flooded cause I like a dummy pumped the pedal,I know this is tabu for a F.I but sometimes aggravation takes over where intelligence leaves off,lol
On a CFMI there is NO PUMP. So you can't technically flood it by pumping the pedal.

I could be wrong here.
But hey, my wife has told me that I've been wrong at least once.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Well all I can go buy is the strong smell of gas,and the loud bang from the gas detonating,lol plus what the old-timer said.

Not sure what you mean theres no pump,after stopping cranking the key when it wouldn't start I could hear my fuel pump run for an additional 10sec's, normally when I turn off the key it shuts down in a sec.Its been running great the last few days.

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Re: Hard start

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Well, back in the carb days when you would jam the good pedal there was what is called an accelerator pump. This would richen the air fuel ratio considerably whenever you pushed the pedal down. So if you were trying to start it and pushed the pedal down ten times, it would give 10 "shots" of fuel into the intake. This means that it would flood it out. It could have something to do with the coolant temp/intake temp sensors or the ECU programming. Besides that, he is right about the "flood clear" mode, it will go into it any time you are above about 2/3 throttle.

Topic author
astrozam

Re: Hard start

Post by astrozam »

Mr_Roboto wrote:Well, back in the carb days when you would jam the good pedal there was what is called an accelerator pump. This would richen the air fuel ratio considerably whenever you pushed the pedal down. So if you were trying to start it and pushed the pedal down ten times, it would give 10 "shots" of fuel into the intake. This means that it would flood it out. It could have something to do with the coolant temp/intake temp sensors or the ECU programming. Besides that, he is right about the "flood clear" mode, it will go into it any time you are above about 2/3 throttle.
Thanks for that info about the carb pump Alex,have not had any problems since and our temps and humidity have been up and below freezing about a half a gazillion times since,oh well its just another thing to consider if you can't get er started and you've given her too much gas.