Hello from New Jersey

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
davlafont
I am merely driving my van

Hello from New Jersey

Post by davlafont »

Hello ASV!

I haven't lurked for very long but I see right away that this forum holds a great wealth of knowledge and experience. A little about me:

I have been a car nut all my life, an amateur mechanic much of my adult life, and a father of two for a decade and a half. My automotive tastes run toward road racing rather than any sort of off-roading or drag racing or show cars or audio throw downs. But I would actually enjoy any of those over college football or golf or fishing, so there's that. I currently drive a Ford Focus, but it's an SVT Focus and I've driven it at a few track days including Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen. Because I have kids, my wife has insisted (rightly so) that I should always be able to serve as back-up to her minivan. So, no two-seat sports car for me. :cry:

Recently, I discussed with my wife my desire to replace my car with the new (not yet in production) Focus ST. I thought I was sticking to the practicality rule, even adding rear doors over my current three-door hatch. That's when she noted that what I really need is a truck or an SUV. Why? Because I have recently been selected as Scoutmaster for my son's Boy Scout Troop. I am NOT an SUV or truck driver. I don't even understand why they exist. Ok, that's a little overboard. Trucks make sense for work that involves throwing things into the back, or hauling loads of hay/junk/farmhands/refrigerators. Jeep Wranglers (I remember Renegades and CJ5s) are for off-load fun. But the VAST majority of SUVs serve no purpose. But the current Scoutmaster warned me that I will need a truck (he drives a Chevy Silverado with a bed cover--a giant trunk). The Scoutmaster generally hauls all the tents and Troop equipment and often many of the Scouts' packs and stuff. And he drives his gear laden truck into the woods and down trails or through grassy fields, etc. We try not to blaze new trails with our vehicles (Leave No Trace) but we also don't park in groomed parking lots.

I know the Astro and Safari because I've been a car nut all my life (I remember when they were first introduced just like I remember the Lumina APV/TransPort/Silhouette trio) but also because our family is on its third minivan (G. Caravan-Venture-G. Caravan). So, I see the Safari (my stylistic favorite) as a way to have truck-like utility in a more practical package that can carry gear and scouts and go where they will be used. I envision a mild lift and AT tires, a roof rack/basket of some sort, and auxiliary lighting that can assist with camp set-up. As a side benefit, I can use it during bad winter weather instead of my daily driver. And my in-laws' farm is not very friendly to the Caravan, but a lifted Safari will fit in there nicely.

So I am scanning the used car market for just the right candidate and I'm reading as much as I can on ASV to get up to speed before I start asking any real questions. If anyone has any opening advice, I'm all ears!
Last edited by davlafont on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
1999 GMC Safari SLE
AWD | G80 | 3.73

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Hello from New Jersey

Post by astroturf »

Welcome Aboard!

bobenhotep

Post by bobenhotep »

Welcome. I just joined today because I bought one Thursday. My mother in law also has one. Good luck in your Astro hunt.
2000 Astro 2wd

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Nice intro. Welcome. First things first. Buy an Astro/Safari from a state that doesn't use salt on the roads. The newest one you can find will be a 2005. That's almost 8 years old. If it lived in the salt it will already have rust problems. There are lots of rust free vehicles here in the south. The travel will be well worth your time and expense. AWD if you can find it.
There's a wealth of info on this site and a bunch of really good guys and gals. You're in good company.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Welcome! Until a year or so ago my folks lived within earshot of Road Atlanta. I used to sit on the front porch and listen to the races. Like said before, stay away from the salt states. Good luck with your search and beware: astro-holism is contagious. For every mod you make you'll dream of several more.

Cheers. H2O Joe
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.