1998 Safari Van

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

risteff
I get chills without my van.

Re: 1998 Safari Van

Post by risteff »

Right. The cat delete is against the rules afaik. However, I was not afraid to do it as it's past due for a full exhause as it is. It will be put back together soon...and yes, it will still fail when the tank is full. PammieSue had a sulfur smell. Mine is not quite "sulfuer", but very stinky and it also happens just at the fail time (along with a change of exhause note). Sorry. Just trying to trouble shoot my van and save others from spedning much dollars if I can.
Past vans: 1990 2WD SLE Safari, 1990 AWD SLE Safari, and 2000 AWD Safari SLE. Current, 2004 Astro AWD LS.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

risteff wrote:Right. The cat delete is against the rules afaik. However, I was not afraid to do it as it's past due for a full exhause as it is. It will be put back together soon...and yes, it will still fail when the tank is full. PammieSue had a sulfur smell. Mine is not quite "sulfuer", but very stinky and it also happens just at the fail time (along with a change of exhause note). Sorry. Just trying to trouble shoot my van and save others from spedning much dollars if I can.
What I am trying to explain to you is a cat delete in the programing is needed.That the cat's are not neutral where you can just arbitrarily remove them from "the system". The system's sensors read tons differently without it and adversely effects the running of the engine without the re-programing for a delete.Fuel curves to timing "could be" effected.

Now I want to be very clear.In no way,shape or form I am a tree loving advocate.That's not where I am making these suggestions.I too have had to deal with the emissions B.S. in planing of my project and hate the limits in some areas it puts on me.I have been a Hot Rodder all my life soon to be 65.

Lastly-I am not a advocate of exhaust systems mods only.They are the biggest scam in the Hot Rodder community because the effective results are in RPM ranges in a street vehicle that you rarely use.Mind games of if it's "tone" is different,then it must be better.That is not supported by any dyno tests no where.Same thing just starting to come in at a rarely used RPM.A badly tuned exhaust can actually adversely effect the low end performance. Certainly is the very last consideration well after compression,cam,heads,induction system...............
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

risteff
I get chills without my van.

Post by risteff »

1Gary,
Understood and agreed. This was basically a temporary (investigational) solution(?) to my problem as the van will be getting a complete new exhaust this week. The exhaust I can do myself. Scanning (reprograming) and temp checks (before and after the cat) require tools I do not have. I have a torch and welder already. The lesson was learned a long time ago for me regarding modifications and unwelcome consequences. I feel as though most people are in the position I am in...money enough to repair a known problem, but not money enough to hang parts all over the car in hopes of curing an unknown problem.
I realize looking back that I have rudely hijacked this thread. I merely though I could help solve my problem and maybe a similar problem for someone else. It was with good intentions.
Past vans: 1990 2WD SLE Safari, 1990 AWD SLE Safari, and 2000 AWD Safari SLE. Current, 2004 Astro AWD LS.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Don't worry about it risteff. Gary just likes to listen to himself.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

lockdoc wrote:Don't worry about it risteff. Gary just likes to listen to himself.
Wow Bill. :partyman: Ya OK??.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY