Weird Electrical no power, then power

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Weird Electrical no power, then power

Post by astroturf »

Don't be stupid...

No ground, No path for correct circuit operation.

A member could chase their tale all around the wiring, only to later discover a faulty ground.

Good Troubleshooting minimizes the length of time to make a proper repair.

kentek
I am merely driving my van

Post by kentek »

OK guys I appreciate the help, no fighting,, keep the peace and all ;-)

So we did the power dips and found 1.78 at the alternator while the problem was happening.
Then it corrected itself and we had 12.28 at the battery and 12.28 at the starter, the other lead can only be tested while the starter is engaged and well that's tricky trying to get a power because it of course will be 12.28 cranking, didn't do amps? not required!

Anyways getting to the starter is freaking next to impossible, I'm thinking to install a lead for this test if more testing is required? That way I can just test the lead on the firewall coming from the alternator all considering it's location..

gotta figure out why it keeps coming and going?

Well My son wants to install a steering shock on his Ram so he asked me to git my piece of GMC out of his way so he could work on a real truck! ;-)
checking back often thanks for the help guys.. ;-)

kentek

Post by kentek »

1.78 Alt with Fault
12,28 Bat No Fault
12.28 Start No Fault

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

astroturf wrote:Don't be stupid...

No ground, No path for correct circuit operation.
Don't be an a-hole, Jim. No positive, also no path. The exact same thing applies. Was that your only explanation?
The alternator is connected to ground through the case so it's actually less likely.
kentek wrote:1.78 Alt with Fault
That's not right. It should be 14V so I'm tempted to say it's an alternator problem. However, I know that alternators don't like when the battery is disconnected. I'm not sure what they do when that happens, but that could mess with the regulator. There is a fusible link on the positive cable that goes from the alternator to the starter. If your meter has a continuity check, try that. If not, measure the resistance.

To make Jim happy, check and clean your battery ground, and the engine block ground but don't ask me where that is.

kentek

Post by kentek »

I've cleaned all the grounds around the inner nose or under the hood of the van engine compartment, I have Menair's so going under the van is not for me, I'll see if I can convince my son to do it, back up on the ramps again, lats git'under'er ;-) Dealer will charge $100 an hour,, money I can't spare!

Thanks for all the help guys and opposing opinions gives me more options, lets keep the peace guys and yes better do cross all the i's and dot all the t's ;-)

kentek

Post by kentek »

will check fusible link and Grounds ;-)
I actually have a couple of fusible links saved just in case.. ;-)

kentek

Post by kentek »

OK yah so we took the contacts off the starter and low and behold the freeking things were heated and carboned from heating up to the point where the finnish was poor and well burnt, one eyelet the small one broke on us from being so brittle we cleaned them up and put them back and now they are good, the starter bolt wasn't even in all the way, from the last guy who worked on it or from wiggling loose??? Not sure how that would happen but my wife took it and did her daily nursing runs and she said it worked fine but the truth will be seen for sure in the next couple of days,, Lets keep our fingers crossed..

So for sure one wire goes up to the altinator from there?? I would never have thought???

Thanks for your help man I hope this is the end of our nightmare??? it's been a real headache!!!

=D>

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Congrats, and fingers crossed...

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The connection at the starter was gonna be my guess. Glad you go it or at least hope you got it!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

kentek

Post by kentek »

It has been running like a clock with no problems since the fix!
Wahoo!

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

I am going to have to check the connections again. I have a similar problem to the one that I had at the beginning when I first posted this thread. Hopefully it is something as simply as the connections at the starter since I have lots of power until I turn the key, then it is all gone in an instant. Right now it is raining, although it looks like it is clearing up a bit, so maybe I can look at it today.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

It stopped raining and dried long enough for me to pull some of the wires and clean them up. Did the top ground and found it a little corroded, some sand paper fixed that. Did the wires on the starter and again found a little corrosion. Cleaned them up. Also cleaned up the connections at the battery, although they really were not corroded to speak of. I was going to do the other grounds, but it started to get dark again, and I didn't want to get stuck trying to pack up tools in the rain. So I called it a day. The van started just fine. Either it was moving the wires around, or perhaps the connections I dealt with were the problem ones. I think when I have the time and money I will replace all of them with new ones. Hopefully this will solve the problem for now.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/