The Man Van is Dead...

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

The Man Van is Dead...

Post by 9dawgs »

Well guys, it's been a while since I posted last and a LOT has happened since then. First off we sold my wifes '98 Astro to get her a newer vehicle. Picked up a sweet 2004 Volvo XC70 AWD Turbo. It's a very nice car. Secondly we've had 3 new grand children. 2 boys and 1 girl. And lastly and most sadly the '99 Astro was in an accident and didn't make it.

My youngest son was driving home from church a couple of Wed nights ago and was side swiped but a lady in a Toyota Corolla. The impact was so great it knocked the drivers side rear wheels back about 2 feet. She basically hit at the drivers front fender and went all the way back. Both cars were totaled.

She was cited by the deputy sheriff who investigated for going too fast and crossing over into the opposite lane. Fortunately no one was hurt. It could have easily been a head on collision and this would have been a much different post. The Lord was truly looking out for all involved.

Currently I'm looking for a new project. I'm not sure if I'll go the Astro route again. You just can't replace perfection :>) I'm interested in a '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer near me. If I can ever hook up with the owner to look at it I'll probably buy it. It's lifted 6", has an AMC 360 in it with a Dana 44 in the front and an AMC 20 axle in the rear. I've had two of these full sized wagoneers in the past and loved them. In fact my very first car was a '66 Jeep Wagoneer with a 327 Vigilante V8. It was awesome. I guess things have come full circle for me...

Good luck to all with your Astro addiction. It's tough on the old body when you have to stop cold turkey.

Oh, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY. Remember it ain't about the hotdogs and hamburgers but about the men and women who have willingly laid down their lives for our freedom. :usa:

Semper,
Jim<><
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: The Man Van is Dead...

Post by astrozam »

Glad to hear your Son was o.k, vans come and go! ( but that was a really sweet van ) congrats on the Grandkids, they are a lot of fun aren't they.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Glad everyone was ok. Too bad about the van, of course. It was an inspiration to many an Astro builder including myself, and thanks to ASV and the internet, it will live on in images and text to inspire countless more.

And thanks again for all the personal correspondence when I was an Astro van newb. :cheers:

T.Low Tom
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Congrats on 3 more grand babies! Too bad about the van but thankfully your son was not hurt. I love the Wagoneers...If you do get it, come back here and post up lots of pics. You are still more than welcome as you are part of the ASV family.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Post by tribri1 »

Condolences, I feel your pain. Mine was totaled last weekend while I was floating a river. The shuttle driver ran off the road and rolled it. He is in the hospital and improving the van however is dead. I'm at a loss, I don't want to go through the process of building a new one. Not sure what vehicle is next. On that note, if someone is interested in a tri-fold bed that fits an Astro, I got one almost ready to install...
Attachments
van2.jpg
van1.jpg
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Wow, so sorry to hear about the loss of BOTH vans! It's bad enough to lose a vehicle, but one that a person has a lot of 'blood sweat and tears' in is really tough.

Geez, it is almost like there is a conspiracy to destroy cool vans..
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Oh Man! I'm so sorry you guys. It's our worst nightmare, with all the energy we put into these things.....

Good luck on the road ahead!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

tribri1 wrote:Condolences, I feel your pain. Mine was totaled last weekend while I was floating a river. The shuttle driver ran off the road and rolled it. He is in the hospital and improving the van however is dead. I'm at a loss, I don't want to go through the process of building a new one. Not sure what vehicle is next. On that note, if someone is interested in a tri-fold bed that fits an Astro, I got one almost ready to install...
Oh man, yours is definately "more" totalled than mine was. But I guess totalled is totalled... Either way we both lost our rigs. Hope your insurance company does good by you brother. Mine would not even consider the 4" OLV lift or the new tires I had just installed on it. They told me that the new tires were listed as in "excellent" condition and that I'd gotten $110 for them. I paid right around $700 about a month ago... Anyhow, looks like I'll be getting my money today or tomorrow sometime. They gave me $3100 for it. Looks like you had more into yours. The KBB listed mine w/172000 miles on it with a low (fair rating) of $2600 and a high (excellent) of $3400. I guess they shot somewhere in the middle. The good thing is that before it was hauled off to the insurance inspection lot I removed my new $200 Sears Diehard gel cell battery and replaced it with an old Interstate battery I had in my garage. Otherwise that would'nt have been reimbursed either.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at an '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

This is some of what the ad says: "The 360 has the sought after closed chamber heads (dog leg ports), Edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm Edelbrock carb and air cleaner, Mallory billet distributor, Mallory Unilight module, MSD 6AL Ignition box, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD Pro 9mm wires, I have Headman headers for it, but they are not installed at the moment. Transmission is a 999 (almost identical to a 727 Torqueflight) that shift perfectly, Transfer case is a NP 249 with new chain and seals. Front axle is a Dana 44 with manual hub conversion, Rear axle is a big spline Dana 20.Leaf springs are custom built packs with a shackle reverse in the front and a shackle flip/ relocate in the rear. "

I've had two of these in the past and I'm getting a bit excited about it :>P If it's in as good a shape as the owner claims, I may just bite. They are really capable 4x4s. Here's a picture:
Attachments
'84 AMC Jeep Grand Wagoneer 2.jpg
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

tribri1 wrote:Condolences, I feel your pain. Mine was totaled last weekend while I was floating a river. The shuttle driver ran off the road and rolled it. He is in the hospital and improving the van however is dead. I'm at a loss, I don't want to go through the process of building a new one. Not sure what vehicle is next. On that note, if someone is interested in a tri-fold bed that fits an Astro, I got one almost ready to install...
I just don't get it.A shuttle driver can't just drive the van without flipping it.I am a emotional kind of guy and that would bring tears to my eyes. :cry: Ya know insurances aside,I would become "that guy" with a lawyer to get as much as possible from the company he works for. )>)
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

Well I took a look at the '84 yesterday and it wasn't what I had expected. You can't tell from the photo but it had a LOT of rust issues and the interior was a total disaster. It was a lot more project than I wanted to tackle. The engine and drive train were in exceptional condition though. What a shame...

Anyhow, I'm heading north about an hour to check out an '86. It looks pretty good from the photos but you never know until you actually look at it. I'll keep you guys posted.
Jim<><

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Post by tribri1 »

1Gary wrote:I just don't get it.A shuttle driver can't just drive the van without flipping it.I am a emotional kind of guy and that would bring tears to my eyes. :cry: Ya know insurances aside,I would become "that guy" with a lawyer to get as much as possible from the company he works for. )>)
After car shopping yesterday I am pretty close to being "that guy" too. Unfortunately, shuttle companies are not known for having deep pockets. Insurance came back to me with part of my total. They are giving me $5900 for the van (I paid $5500 a year ago) and getting an appraisal for the value including the top, dual battery and other add-ons. I should hear back with a firm number next week. By the sound of it I should be close to what I spent minus the time and effort to find the perfect vehicle and make the modifications.
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky