i ordered a 4 inch overland lift! i need tires

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
coldtrain
I am merely driving my van

i ordered a 4 inch overland lift! i need tires

Post by coldtrain »

hi, first post ever. sooo i got my 2004 awd astro about 6 moths ago. its been a dream of mine to pimp out a astro since i can remeber. ( i use to want it lowered with rims and blahh as a teen)now it will be a lifted,camping,beast. my lift and bumper relocation kit should be here anyday. later i plan on a grill guard , roof rack etc. im wondering what are the best tire size/options out there. im not wanting to do any trimming under.( i will if i have to) im looking for a larger all terrain tire. or just a big all purpose tire thats large. also gonna pick rims to suit to tires i think..any help or pointers gladly appreciated.
Attachments
IMAG0919.jpg

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: i ordered a 4 inch overland lift! i need tires

Post by okie1 »

Welcome to the forum, looks like you have a good project van. Good luck & we are waiting to see the progress. =D>

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Welcome ColdTrain! There's a wealth of info on this website on everything Astro/Safari. In general, with the 4" lift you can run 31" tires with some minor
trimming of the fenderwells. Here's a link to help you decide what to get:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=53

:guitar:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome to the site. We require lots of pictures. You've been warned. :muhaha:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Welcome to ASV.

Herbie's gonna laugh. He says all they made the last three years were Pewter vans cause we all have them.

I went with a set of 255/70 16 AT's and a set of 245/75 16 MT's, both mounted on the Chevy 5 spoke rims. Minimal pounding out of the front wheel wells just at the bottom. These sizes equate to 30.5" and 30.75" respectively.

I went to Discount Tire 3 different times and finally had it narrowed down to three different tires. I left and went home again to think more about it. The next day they called me and said they had a gal return a set of Pathfinder AT's because her husband was mad that she bought tires without him. Normally $155 a tire, they gave them to me mounted, balanced, etc for $433 out the door (back in '08). I then bought an extra for a spare for the $155.

Then I found a good deal on low mileage used Goodyear MT's and mounted them on the same style Chevy rim. (I mentioned to the guys at DIscount Tire that I have a floor jack and and an air compressor so it's a breeze to change tires. They said I will be liable if a wheel comes off and causes injury to someone. They would be happy to change over my AT/MT's for no charge for me, even though I didn't buy the MT's there. Those guys are awesome.)

I've got 45k between the two sets and am not close to needing another set of either, yet.

I expect my MT's to wear rather quickly once they reach a certain point. Thats the wrap on the Goodyear MT's and I just saw it for myself on my buddie's E series 4x4.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

badassastro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by badassastro »

Welcome
85 pro street Astro, parted & scrapped
98 pro street Astro, 33x22 rear tires, all aluminum 335 hp LS1 motor
PRO STREET 4 LIFE

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

I just read a very comprehensive AT tire test, as scientific and controlled as you could have for an off/on road tire test, from an Austrailian off road mag, which included 9 different sets of tires, all mounted on identical type of wheels, etc.

The overall winner was the Pirelli Scorpian ATR. I've owned a set of those and was very impressed, but they were on my F-150 so I never really put them to the test except ice and snpw street driving on steep hills. I was blow away at how well they did.

Internet search Australian 4WD Action issue no. 167 All Terrain Tyre Comparo. Amazing article. (I read the actual magazine, not sure what you may find on the internet.)
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Xibious

Post by Xibious »

Ive tried to find something on Overland for almost a year, how did you get a hold of them, the site is 404

markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Welcome to the club-nice start with your van. Check out hercules tires too, I had the hercules terra tracs on my 4x4 S-10 they are a quiet tire with excellent all around grip. I even towed a van up a grass hill in the rain with them last spring. Good looking tires too. And great in snow.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Xibious wrote:Ive tried to find something on Overland for almost a year, how did you get a hold of them, the site is 404
Try Overlandvans.com
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

JonnyAWD
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by JonnyAWD »

Just got a set of mastercraft courser axt tires. 255/70/16. Love them. Great warranty
02 safari awd. 5.3l custom 4 in lift dual 3" exhaust firefighter package. 31 in tires
95 astro 4.3 sts turbo. 3in duals. Trutrac locker monster trans
88 jag
77 Porsche
00 M5

Xibious

Post by Xibious »

This might be old news already but ...

I had a van just like that, towed my cargo van from cali to chicago with it.

I put Dunlops on it, 235/75s I believe, they rode great, no noise and just a great thread design for all weather conditions. I even did a little off roading in NV with it

On my other vans I put 235/70s I think, almost 31" Mudders from Hercules, check out the pics or my profile for more info

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

31's will require trimming for sure. Maybe quite a bit. Depend on how you drive your van I guess.
235-75-15 is a good size. its about 29" depend on brand/style.
I've had a couple sets of 235-75-15 on 2 different lifted vans.
I've had to do a litle bit of trimming on the front end to keep them from rubbing the WW back bottom corners.
I had hopes that when I did a GEN 1 it would be less of a problem than my GEN 2 was.
Turns out they both needed bout the same trimming and massaging with a BFH.
Its all good ! Welcome Aboard !
:cheers:
PS: Do the 02-05 vans come with 16" wheels?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.