ecm

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

ecm

Post by TheChopFather »

As you all know I swapped in a V8 and its carberated I was wondering if I could use the ecm for everything else? Or just plain out eliminate it? what are your thoughts?
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: ecm

Post by skippy »

ditch it and buy a lock up switch for the torque converter .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

I was wondering about a similar thing. I left the ecm in one of my vans. I just cut and sealed off some of the wires that I did not need for my carb engine. Could you use the knock sensor and the ecm distributor to have the ecm retard the timing when the engine pings? How much of the original system would you have to put back on the engine to make this work? Anything else besides the knock sensor? Throttle position sensor? Or just hook up a light and a buzzer to the knock sensor?
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

I'm kinda thinking that if all the sensors are not hooked up and operating the ECM would be setting off codes. In general, if the SES light is on the ECM goes into a limp mode. Meaning that it will run off of preset parameters and will not give full performance like it would if it was reading the sensors. IE, not advancing the distributor as much as it could. I'm sure there may be work arounds but I don't know them.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

You could control timing provided you had a MAP sensor, the knock system and the ECU. You would also need a 7 or 8 pn HEI distributor or change the module in your existing one to a 7 pin and locking the mechanical advance. Besides this I will add that unless you start hacking the ECU, your timing adjustability will be the base timing/total timing not throughought the curve.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Sounds like more work than it is worth. I would probably be better off to reprogram the ecm to run a fuel injection setup for the engine mods I have. That or detune the engine (less cam and compression) so the ecm can handle the modifications.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Dennis, good talking to you Saturday and hope I was able to add a little helping info to your question. I do know that all wires coming from ecm harness going through hole in firwall were cut and trashed although I wise I had taken Darren's advise but it was to late anh that advise was use the harness wire for other modifications. Just hang it up and pull what ya need.

89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

[-o<
Larry,

What is that mess?
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Chris,,that's what my van :vom: when it got really pissed that I was taking so long to complete.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

It does look like a bird's nest that was attacted by a clan of cats.

I acatually considred looking into doing mine with a custom Eprom and using an electronic Q-jet at first. Then I found the larger TBI units and went the easy way out.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...