A Project Just Waiting To Happen....

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: A Project Just Waiting To Happen....

Post by astrozam »

mdmead wrote:
Yes, and with what our Petey has in his 502 project, picking up a good-condition 3.9 Cummins and any other misc parts needed would be pocket change..... I don't see any problem with Petey helping Dean out!

Exactly, with our dollar being as strong as it is,this is a perfect time to take advantage.Plus it would also be seen as an olive branch offering considering our Jr Mens hockey victory over the Americans Jr team last week,lol

Its a can't lose situation.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

astrozam wrote:
mdmead wrote:
Yes, and with what our Petey has in his 502 project, picking up a good-condition 3.9 Cummins and any other misc parts needed would be pocket change..... I don't see any problem with Petey helping Dean out!

Exactly, with our dollar being as strong as it is,this is a perfect time to take advantage.Plus it would also be seen as an olive branch offering considering our Jr Mens hockey victory over the Americans Jr team last week,lol

But then you get the whole lays situation going on......... i.e. What about everyone else. I want one tooo [-o<
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:The reason you would have a hard time doing the 5.9 Cummins would be the weight. They weigh in at around 1100 lbs I believe. They are pretty long too so the radiator would need to move out a foot or so!

Peter, If you buy me a 3.9 Cummins, I will do the complete swap into my van and test drive it for you and I will even post a complete write-up. :D :partyman:

Heck, i'd like to see that! I'm in for 25 bucks! That'll be more entertainment than a movie out, and more useful.
Get started with that spread sheet and get back to me when you reach $250 in pledges. =D>
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

I have found a couple of 5.9 Cummins engines with trany , t-case and both the diffs for $4500. This would be a hard project to install into a van. I would try using a shorter engine. The 4bt is based on the 5.9 just short 2 cylinders. I hear that 200hp and 400 ftlbs is a realistic hp and torque number for these engines. That would probably work well in our vans.

My latest project is bombing the 6.7 CTD in my new pickup. They come from the factory with 350hp and 650 ftlbs of torque. This kind of power and torque will move my 7300lb truck through the 1/4 mile in 15.60 seconds. Zero to 60mph in 7 seconds. This was before mods. It is crazy how well these new machines run. It almost makes me wonder why I have been playing with gassers so long.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

astrozam wrote:
mdmead wrote:

Ouch. You guys deflated our team so much that even the weak Russian program lambasted us. :-({|= Olive branch smolive branch, I'm saving up for 2010 tickets to see the big boys play. What has better odds; this project being completed by then, or Chelios being captain of Team USA? :muhaha:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

lockdoc
I sleep in my van

Post by lockdoc »

Like Rockwerx said, these new deisels are wild. I have never owned a diesel and never really liked them. (the exhuast always makes me physically ill, bummer) But my new work truck has a 3.0 V6 turbo Mercedes deisel and this thing rocks! Not fast per say but man, anyone that knows the hills in my area knows it is a pain going up with a heavy load. This things just cruises along doing 65, running 2500rpm up the hills without the slightest hint of being tired. It is rated at 154 HP and 268 TQ. And it doesn't smell at all! Start it up in the garage and you smell nothing. And the milage is incredible. A big ass van getting 26 MPG avg? Unheard of in a gas engine. I'm hooked so far. Think I'll have to look into some of these turbo deisels.
Current:
01 AWD - Stock
98 AWD - Stock
Past:
93 4WD - 305 V8 - 5" lift - 31" tires
98 4WD DHC - 10" lift - 33" tires - Onboard air and Hydraulics - Snowplow
92 RWD - 350 V8 - lowered - 97 front clip
92 RWD - 350 V8 - converted to AWD - V6
91 AWD - 350 V8 - conversion van
94 RWD - 350 V8 - sons van
92 RWD - stock - sons van
93 RWD Shorty - project
89 RWD Shorty - parts van

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

lockdoc wrote:Like Rockwerx said, these new deisels are wild. I have never owned a diesel and never really liked them. (the exhuast always makes me physically ill, bummer) But my new work truck has a 3.0 V6 turbo Mercedes deisel and this thing rocks! Not fast per say but man, anyone that knows the hills in my area knows it is a pain going up with a heavy load. This things just cruises along doing 65, running 2500rpm up the hills without the slightest hint of being tired. It is rated at 154 HP and 268 TQ. And it doesn't smell at all! Start it up in the garage and you smell nothing. And the milage is incredible. A big ass van getting 26 MPG avg? Unheard of in a gas engine. I'm hooked so far. Think I'll have to look into some of these turbo deisels.

Oh hell ya man. My old burb weighed over 7500LBS and even the old ass 6.2L would move it like it was small honda and then get the same mileage as my van in the city and about 5 MPG better on the highway. The physically ill part sucks kinda weird too lol.

Me personally I love the smell of diesel exhaust. Absolutely love it. Then again I grew up with it not to mention the rumble of a big diesel at idle puts me to sleep faster and better than a 26 of CC. Which is why I'm dieing o scrape up enough cash / time to do a 4BT swap or just find a big ass cheap Dodge Dually with a 6BT already in it \:D/

Dunno if Daimler/Chrysler has fixed the dirty diesel problem yet I know VW finally just did but keep an eye on your engine and add the recommended additives with out fail every second fill up if they haven't. The problem being the European small diesels do not like north American diesel due to less refining of NA diesel causing some serious problems especially with the turbo pretty quickly. I've seen a few euro diesels especially in the VWs and a few Daimlers need some serious upper end work and new turbos inside of 20K because the owners were not putting in the additives the dealers / manuals recommend which also voided the warranty.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!