Quest for the ultimate kayak/mountain bike shuttle rig

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Quest for the ultimate kayak/mountain bike shuttle rig

Post by dunedog »

and now she's "the wife" :axe: :muhaha:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Heartbreak! Noting like being single....the wheel dude did you wrong for sure....
great write up!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

I have only seen 1 other van ( i think ) that put a lift on and went to a larger wheel 17" i believe but that van never left pavement, anyhow you seem to do alot of backwoods trail type driving so I was curious for why you were going that route as opposed to more rubber which would be a little more practical for that style of driving.

p.s Ottawa sucks,go Wings! should be a good game.

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

astrozam wrote:I have only seen 1 other van ( i think ) that put a lift on and went to a larger wheel 17" i believe but that van never left pavement, anyhow you seem to do alot of backwoods trail type driving so I was curious for why you were going that route as opposed to more rubber which would be a little more practical for that style of driving.

p.s Ottawa sucks,go Wings! should be a good game.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I think you're right.
Yeah, I've kinda been reconsidering that 18" wheel, from the moment the deal fell through. I really like the 17" Durango R/T wheel/tire set up I had on my 4x4 Dakota, but it could take a little taller tire than the Astro. I like the 18" factory wheels on our Nissan Murano, but that sees very light trail head parking and the occassional two tracker or mountain road. My F-150 certainly rides worlds better since I've taken off the factory 20's with the Pirelli's and put on the FX4 18" with stock all terrains for the winter.

I like the idea of the 18's and think they're a great looking wheel, but the math doesn't add up, does it. The size of the Astro, its wheel well clearence, amount of side wall needed for the type of drivng the van will do. I'll wait until its lifted. Maybe find some used off road temps. Or buy studded snows for the rest of the winter (legal here until April 15), that will give me time to figure out what will work best overall. I can't help it, I'm too picky about wheels. My name is T.Low, and I have a wheel fetish.

Well, gotta get that furniture unloaded. ](*,)
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

dunedog wrote:and now she's "the wife" :axe: :muhaha:

Haaah, you caught that! yeah, when we're cute and cozy, she's on the pedastool as "Fiancee"; when I loose a little patience, then of course she's demoted to "the wife". :D

Want to trade a great slightly used 3 peice living room set for a Prerunner front bumper with off road driving lights?
ImageImageImageImage

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

BLAZER wrote:
T.Low wrote:"
I think the first lifted Astro I saw was a green one on the internet. 4 or 5" lift with stock wheels. Dude even put a snow plow on it. I was stopped dead in my tracks, jaw dropped, I knew right then and there its exactly what I'd been looking for. Perfect height, perfect stance. Was that yours?
That's funny you say that cause when I started researching and found Dean's van in the gallery section, it made my decision to lift my van, I hadn't even bought it. Dean is the master of fabrication , he knows what is going on!

LOL same. The absolute moment I saw the SPB (dean's (LiftedAWD's) van) My jaw hit my knee caps and I knew what I wanted to do with my van \:D/

Ya know this keeps up and we are gunna be hearing about door and drivers side roof mods to the SPB as his head won't fit in the van any more..........Kinda like peter's :-$
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I resent that completely accurate statement :butthead:

I was too chicken-$hit to do a lift until Deano lifted that puke-green abomination of his. I looked at him, then looked at myself in the mirror (yet again) and realized that if he could do it, so could an orangutan :muhaha:

Seriously, Deano was the one at the forefront of modding an awd who "I" knew of. And he keeps coming up with more amazing stuff every coupla months. He's got my vote for fabricator and I agree with most of his choices (Lynne NOT being one of them :butthead: )
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

:axe: You're gonna pay heavy for that one Petey!

SPB was my 1st connection to this group =D>
Looked on web for 'Astro snowplow' to see if it was doable for my rig and up popped Dean's rig.
(Before the metamorphose) :supz:

Petey.....well Petey is just one of those interesting byproducts of site evolution :muhaha:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

And you mean that in a nice way, no doubt! Right? Huh?
Huh, Jimbo? In a nice way, right? Huh? [-o<
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

peter wrote: He's got my vote for fabricator and I agree with most of his choices (Lynne NOT being one of them :butthead: )

Even though you don't agree with the choice of gaining me in life .............it was the best thing he ever did. Of course he never had to fabricate me. :muhaha: :yawinkle:
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

potskie wrote:Ya know this keeps up and we are gunna be hearing about door and drivers side roof mods to the SPB as his head won't fit in the van any more..........Kinda like peter's :-$

Actually you are not too far off in your thoughts there Potskie.................Dean has talked of taking the roof off and windows out and fitting the SPB with a full roll cage and using canvas for the roof ( like a soft top). LMAO :-k :D
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Fire Cakes wrote:
potskie wrote:Ya know this keeps up and we are gunna be hearing about door and drivers side roof mods to the SPB as his head won't fit in the van any more..........Kinda like peter's :-$

Actually you are not too far off in your thoughts there Potskie.................Dean has talked of taking the roof off and windows out and fitting the SPB with a full roll cage and using canvas for the roof ( like a soft top). LMAO :-k :D
Probably won't now. Because if he did he would probably get compared to peter again and NOBODY wants or likes that. I mean there's only so much room in a persons head for their ego and comparison to peter would probably cause a severe migrain/cranial explosion due to instant ego over expansion.

Hmmmm I was trying to razz peter in that but somehow I think I ended up complimenting him....... Oh well even peter needs a compliment once in a while. I do promise to try my best to not do it again tho.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Wow! I missed this post!?
Hi and welcome (late but better than never) - cant wait to see what you will be doing to your ride :) Have you decided with what tire size you are going? I take it take you wont have under ground parking lots to deal with :D I do so right now my max tire size are LT235/75/15. Lots of rubber and makes the Safari ride much more square.

Again welcome!
(where are you located? I am a bit confused on that ... I am Vancouver BC Canada which is why I am asking, I saw you mentioned a few places included 1 1/2 hours away from Seattle.)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

I'm actually located in Bellingham, 20 minutes south of White Rock. Awesome place to live. Moved here from Michigan mainly for the white water kayaking. Great living between Seattle and Vancouver.

Not sure about tires/wheels yet. In fact, the van ownere is working in Everett today, so I am tasking a Greyhound bus doen to Everett (1hr by car) to get the van. Wil send pics tommorrow. =D>
Cheers
ImageImageImageImage

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Yahoo!!! Cant wait for the photos! Oh and video would be nice as well!
Yes yes that is close to us - heck when we do Vancouver meet ups you should come as well :) Hmm on note of that where is my passport.

97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"