coolant leak

Topic author
marco10
I am smitten with my van

coolant leak

Post by marco10 »

I am having a coolant leak and cannot seem to find/see where it is from. I looked under the engine and all I can see is drips coming down from where the belts are? I'm not sure. It is kind of strange though ... I will drive short distances at normal city speeds and when I stop and turn off the car, the drips of coolant start and after a while it stops. It does not occur when the car is on. Then I drive an hour at 80km an hour and then stop the car and nothing, no drips. Eventually I need to add coolant. I'm thinking a bad water pump? But anything else you gentlemen could advise would be great. Thanks.
2004 Astro, RWD, 3:73 axle/w tow package
LPD Tanny Cooler, Prodigy Brake Controller
Timbren Rear Springs

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: coolant leak

Post by Wiley »

I am NOT the guy to answer this, but check your thermostat, see if any coolant is pooled there. Could also be from your water pump so see if there is some coolant pooled around there somewhere. The water pump is what the fan is connected to, and thermostat is basically up above that. Check out the cooling section, and I bet you will find the answer there.

Edit: I re-read and saw you mention the water pump already....I dont think its uncommon for that to have a leak. You could try replacing the seals as they are cheap, but if you dont see the coolant there you may be wasting your time, since you have to remove the airbox, belt and fan to get to the water pump, though it doesnt sound like a terrible job, and I believe Chemist did a write up on it..
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i had a slow coolant leak for the longest time and it was the heater control valve attached to the evaporator housing.
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Look at the front corners of the intake manifold. Also, look under the water pump. There is a hole that lets water drip if the pump seals fail.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle