I'm getting a clicking noise from the rear on van

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Rudedaddy
I am merely driving my van

I'm getting a clicking noise from the rear on van

Post by Rudedaddy »

Hi there... I'm new to this so bear with me..... safari 2001 2 wheel drive ..... when ever I go over a speed bump I get this clicking noises ( not a thunk ) from the rear suspension of the vehicle , I have stood on the back part of the van and bounced the van, sometimes I can get a click but most times , no , speed bumps where the two tires are involved in the bumb , it happens........ I checked the leaf springs , I changed the rear shocks ( tightened new ones ), I lubricated moving parts but still it's there .... it is driving me up a wall.... I am supprised no one has experienced the same problem....

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: I'm getting a clicking noise from the rear on van

Post by Kidhauler »

Make sure the jack is secure in the cubby hole. Also try and remove the rear seats to make sure the noise isn't from the sliders on the bench. Check the spare tyre as well. Once all that is eliminated as a source then you are probably left with leafspring bushings.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
Rudedaddy

Re: I'm getting a clicking noise from the rear on van

Post by Rudedaddy »

Well thanks for the info....... I forgot to say that the van I have is a cargo van , no seats to worry about....spare tire ? humm the noise does not sound like it is comming from the center of the rear..... I do suspect the leaf springs bushings.... I tried to spray an under coating non rubber destroying stuff on the bushings , it did quiet the clicking down a bit .... I had to stand on the back bumper and bounce the back end as hard as I could , but the clicking noise was still there...... If the leaf bushings are the problem, is there another quick easy fix for it other than removing and replace them?....If not I have no choice but to live with the clicking noise....