Pics of my 1997 Astro

Post photos, video of your van

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Pics of my 1997 Astro

Post by Mr Singh »

Here is my 97' astro.

The car was imported from Japan. I have no history of the mods. But from what i can see this is what i do have..

Custom 2 tone paint scheme. Magenta/candy top, dusty mauve bottom with white pinstripe highlighted flamework.

glass fibre front and rear bumpers.

California Custom USA 18" billet wheels
California Custom USA red brake pads
1" wheel spacer kit all round
3" lowering on the front (rear appears to be stock right height)
Bilstein shock absorbers all round
HID/Xenon lights

I've searched the internet in hope of finding more info on this van, but with it being from japan its not easy! I've found hundreds of modded Astros in japan though, the guys out there taking styling to a completley different level! But thus far no follow up on history of this van.

Does anyone know what happend to California Custom USA? they were huge for aftermarket Astro parts? maybe they went bankrupt, but there still very popular in Japan, with a ton of parts available there.

She runs like a champ, well did, till the fuel pump went kapoot lastnight (see thread coming up in tech section later)

Anyways, hope you enjoy. Lots of plans for this van :)

Am.
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

madslammer
I get chills without my van.

Re: Pics of my 1997 Astro

Post by madslammer »

Nice Ride man. . . :supz:
'97 Astro 2wd, lowered 4" w/Belltech spindles and drop leafs.
'87 Astro 2wd, lifted, pretty close to 4" all around.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Looks flashy and sharp! I like those wheels on your ride!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

i kinda like the chopped rear bumper, far more functional than my roll pan but still very fashionable! paint job looks nice, very simple but a little bit of flare yet, the front bumper however still appears to be the stock one unlike what you listed in your mods.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Looking good!
Thanks for the pics!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

madslammer
I get chills without my van.

Post by madslammer »

Looks like it has a flip kit 'cause the front hanger is too low for stock height. also the front bumper seems to be shaved of the reflector and body lines. . .
:-k
'97 Astro 2wd, lowered 4" w/Belltech spindles and drop leafs.
'87 Astro 2wd, lifted, pretty close to 4" all around.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

WOW! Nice truck, bud. Not to mention you're running what's universally accepted as the best year possible, the infamous 1997 version.

Gotta tell you, I hadn't bothered clicking on this thread at first. I expected (because of your name) to find a reg'lar 1997 van (washed, with any luck) with a 60 yr old indian or pakistani male standing in sandals next to it (I freakin' HATE seeing guys wearing sandals....). Although I pride myself in not being racist (I hate all ethnic minorities/majorities equally :yawinkle: ), I judged someone/something based on no factual evidence. For this, I hang my greek-origined head in shame..... [-o<

:muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Nice! Your ride has the same stance as mine. Lots o 'tude!! She's a neck snapper for sure. =D>
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

peter wrote:WOW! Nice truck, bud. Not to mention you're running what's universally accepted as the best year possible, the infamous 1997 version.

Gotta tell you, I hadn't bothered clicking on this thread at first. I expected (because of your name) to find a reg'lar 1997 van (washed, with any luck) with a 60 yr old indian or pakistani male standing in sandals next to it (I freakin' HATE seeing guys wearing sandals....). Although I pride myself in not being racist (I hate all ethnic minorities/majorities equally :yawinkle: ), I judged someone/something based on no factual evidence. For this, I hang my greek-origined head in shame..... [-o<

:D

I dont mind being hated on. I just like the fact i like being recognised for the name!

I'm not quite 60 (27 at present) but i can sure see my sorry ass wearing sandals at some stage of my grey haired life :muhaha:

Cheers
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

Topic author
Mr Singh

Post by Mr Singh »

madslammer wrote:Looks like it has a flip kit 'cause the front hanger is too low for stock height. also the front bumper seems to be shaved of the reflector and body lines. . .
:-k
You reckon? theres about a 3" gap from the tyre to the fender on the rear. Front, barely getting a finger in!

Theres going to be alot of stereo going in the back (2000lbs) so i'm sure the suspensions going to need some overhaulin.. or simply run on bumpstops :-#
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

:D

I dont mind being hated on. I just like the fact i like being recognised for the name!

I'm not quite 60 (27 at present) but i can sure see my sorry ass wearing sandals at some stage of my grey haired life :muhaha:

Cheers

Rats, I can't even get a rise from a newbie no more 8-[

You're gonna fit right in here :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Nice ride. First time I've looked at this thread also and sorry I waited so long.

Peter, your killing me down here at the 96 my man. I don't hate sandles on real men but ya gotta leave the white socks at home,,please.
Gotta tell you, I hadn't bothered clicking on this thread at first. I expected (because of your name) to find a reg'lar 1997 van (washed, with any luck) with a 60 yr old indian or pakistani male standing in sandals next to it (I freakin' HATE seeing guys wearing sandals....). Although I pride myself in not being racist (I hate all ethnic minorities/majorities equally ), I judged someone/something based on no factual evidence. For this, I hang my greek-origined head in shame.....
=D> :yawinkle:
Last edited by Rebel on Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Welcome and again nice ride. I bet the paint job took some time.
Rats, I can't even get a rise from a newbie no more
Peter I think it might because of that avitar, just a thought. :butthead:
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

Nice ride man and I love the paint scheme.
and Peter shame on you....
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Very British looking houses with a very British looking driveway...... And a NICE American van!

Looks great dude.....!

I visited California Customs in Anaheim SoCal years ago, I don`t remember if they went out of business or was bought out by someone else......? I`ll do some searching......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc