Do our vans have a "heavy" side?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Do our vans have a "heavy" side?

Post by Herbie »

Hi Gang, I tried searching for an answer, as I thought I recall this being discussed at some point, but I must be using the wrong terms. I'm trying to figure out where best to place the water tank for my new interior build. Ideally I'd take corner weights to answer this question, but I don't know if I'll be able to find a set of scales before I sort of need to decide where to place it.

Do the vans have a weight bias to one side?

If I had to guess, it'd be slightly to passenger side, given the offset of the driveline, but then the fuel tank is on the opposite, so I'm really not sure... Anyhow, if anyone has generalized corner weights (preferably for an AWD), I'd be very happy to see them. I'm committing to relocating my Group 34 house battery slightly farther to the driver's side from its current location (to optimize some wasted space). I'll then be adding a 12gallon tank in there somewhere (~100lbs). I know it's less than half an average american in weight, but given that it will be hard mounted (and probably filled most of the time), I'd like it if it were ideally placed.

Thanks much!

-Herbie
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Re: Do our vans have a "heavy" side?

Post by HPbyStan »

Do you have any stock car racers around you? They almost always have wheel scales and will let you on for cheap.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Post by dobaroy »

Nice build Herbie, did you do the lift yourself and can we see a side view pic?

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

dobaroy wrote:Nice build Herbie, did you do the lift yourself and can we see a side view pic?
Yes, it's selected pieces of the Overland Vans 4"kit (pucks, springs, and ancillaries, but not the keys or shackles).

I just checked and was surprised to see I never posted a before/after pic in my build thread. I'll dig around my photo archive to see if I have good shots. I remember that the rear sat too high for my liking with the OLV springs and shackles in the rear. For some reason, mine seemed to sit much higher then others running the same kit...
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

chuck.z
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by chuck.z »

Hey Herbie. Don't know anything about the weights but you can take it to a "public scale".. lots of junk yards, transfer stations, recyclers have em.. Look up "public scale" and your county and you should be able to find one not too far..

Last time I used one was at the local transfer station.. only cost 10 bucks to get the work truck weighed in order to get the salvage certificate.

Edit:: Oops, I didn't realize this was an old post. You may have gotten this resolved already..
1996 Astro Awd - All stock, soon to be lifted and camperized
1998 GMC Safari 2wd - Work van. 258k miles and counting