Flip Help

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Flip Help

Post by Rebel »

Ok guys,,need some help on flip kit install on composite spring. Here's a pic of the kit I sold. There were no directions with these parts. I've never installed one so I'm no help at all on this. Can anyone who has installed one gives us a step by step of install ?
Any help is appreciated.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Re: Flip Help

Post by TheChopFather »

hey Larry here what I downloaded from BellTech and DJM when I bought my flip w/no directions:

FLIP KIT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

CHEVY ASTRO VAN / GMC SAFARI VAN
Congratulations! You were selective enough to choose a BELLTECH PRODUCT. We have spent
many hours developing our line of products so that you will receive maximum
performance with minimum difficulty during installation.
Note: Confirm that all of the hardware listed in the parts list is in the kit. Do not begin installation if
any part is missing. Read the instructions thoroughly before beginning this installation.
Warning: DO NOT work under a vehicle supported by only a jack. Place support stands securely under
the vehicle in the manufacturer’s specified locations unless otherwise instructed.
Warning: DO NOT drive vehicle until all work has been completed and checked. Torque all hardware to
values specified.
Reminder: Proper use of safety equipment and eye/face/hand protection is absolutely necessary whenusing these tools to perform procedures!
Note: It is very helpful to have an assistant available during installation.
RECOMMENDED TOOLS:
• Properly rated floor jack, support stands, and wheel chocks
• Combination wrench set
• Torque wrench: 0-75 lb ft. range
• Ratcheting socket wrench and socket sets
• Air Chisel / Die grinder W/ cut off wheel
• Safety Glasses
! NOTICE
Please note that this kit (6630 or 6302) was not designed to be used with the factory rear Anti-Sway
Bar. You will need to use the Belltech Anti-Sway Bar in place of the OEM bar for added clearances
(Part Number 5528). This bar will also fit on a stock vehicle.
KIT INSTALLATION
1. Open the hardware kit and remove all of the contents. Refer to the part list (Page 3) to verify that all
parts are present.
2. Remove the rear wheels. Remove the U-bolts and inner axle tube retaining plates.
3. Remove the ground cable from the battery. Loosen the screw clamp on the fill tube going into the gas
tank. Pull the protective plastic shroud around the passenger side of the tank away from the body. This
will most likely break the plastic fasteners. New ones are provided in the hardware kit. Unscrew the
four bolts holding the gas tank support straps in place. The fill hose will pull away from the tank.
CAUTION: Let the tank down slowly so the connecting hoses won’t be damaged. Gasoline fumes are
extremely flammable; extinguish all open flames and no smoking during this period of time. (Picture
#3)
4. Remove the two bolts holding the front springs into the hanger housing. Save these bolts for use in reinstallation.
(Pictures #4 & #5) Lubricant may have to be used in aiding the bolt removal. Lower the
6300-888 9/05 ©
A Division of KW AUTOMOTIVE North America, Inc.
floor jack slightly so the spring bracket will slide out of the hanger housing. (Picture #6) (Note: Power
tools may be of help in the removal and re-installation process.)
5. Remove the bottom bolts on the rear shackles. Lower the floor jack slightly so the rear spring bracket
will slide out of the shackle. Remove the upper bolts holding the shackle to the frame. Remove the
stock shackle and save stock mounting bolts for use in the re-assembly process. (Picture #7) Note the
direction of the stock shackles to be able to install the new shackles in the correct direction.
6. Remove the fiberglass spring assemblies from both sides of the vehicle, by prying the rear axle perch
assembly away from the rubber cushion from the spring. (Picture #8)
7. Carefully remove the spring saddle away from the rubber spring cushion. Be careful not to damage the
rubber cushion. Again, do not remove the upper or lower rubber cushion from the spring.
8. Apply the lubricant on the rubber spring cushion. Place the new saddle on the rubber cushion. (NOTE:
There is a right and a left side on these parts, the portion of the saddle that has the up right
welded edge with the recess for the axle tube faces out on both sides.) Line up the ridges on the
cushion and the recesses on the saddle and set into place with a rubber mallet.
9. Install the front spacer plates into the spring hanger pockets with the joggle in the plates out away from
the spring pockets and the slots facing up. Slide the round spacer tubes between the spring plates and
use the new 9/16 by 6” bolts and nuts to connect the assembly together. Snug these only, you will
tighten these later. (Picture #9)
10. Slide the spring assembly under the rear end housing. You will have to raise the axle housing some for
the next steps.
11. Open the brake line clamp on the axle housing and slide the steel line out of the clamp and away from
the housing slightly.
12. Lift the front of the spring up and fit the spring into pockets between the new spacer plate. Slide the
stock hanger bolts through the front holes of the spacer plates and springs. Lift the rear of the spring
higher to line up the rear holes and slide the rear two bolts through the other holes in the plates and
springs. (Picture #10)
13. Install the new rear shackles to the frame using the stock hardware removed in step #5. Lift the spring
into place in the bottom portion of the new shackle and insert the stock bolts. Thread on and snug
these bolts only. You will tighten these later. (Picture #11)
14. Lower the axle assembly into place, making sure that the steel brake lines are cleared. The vertical
tabs on the new saddles will position themselves into place in the spring perches on the axle when the
axle is at rest. (Picture #12) Caution: Be certain the saddle tabs seat inside the axle perches.
15. Install the new U-bolts over the axle and through the new saddles. Place the new bottom plate with the
dimple facing down away from the springs, on to the U-bolts. (Picture #12) Insert the two short spacer
tubes between the axle spring perch and new saddle. (Picture #13) Insert the 7/16 by 3” hex head cap
screws (2) through the spacer tubes, saddle and new lower plate. Place the new locking nut on the Ubolts
and 7/16 cap screws and snug tighten only. Lower the floor jack completely so that the axle
assembly is in its correct position. Re-check the axle location, making sure the brake line clearance is
sufficient.
16. AT THIS POINT, TIGHTEN ALLTHE NUTS AND BOLTS, FRONT, REAR, AND CENTER. ITS
IMPORTANT TO DOUBLE CHECK THIS PROCEDURE, MAKING SURE THAT ALL HARDWARE
HAS BEEN TIGHTENED COMPLETELY.
17. Lift the gas tank and re-install reversing the procedure in step #3.
18. Re-install the rear wheels, lifting the rear end with the floor jack if necessary.
19. When wheels are on, installation is complete.
20. After 1,000 miles, check and re-tighten all hardware used in the installation process. Repeat this
operation every six months.
PART LIST FOR 6300 FLIP KIT
PART No. DESCRIPTION QTY.
6300-001 Shackle 2
6300-005 Spacer w/ Joggle 4
6300-010 Back-Up Plate w/ Dimple 2
6300-015 Saddle 2
6000-003 U-Bolt ½ x 3” x 7” 2
110403 ½”-20 Ny Lock Nut 4
110660 Flat Washer ½” 4
6300-020 Pivot Bushing Urethane 4
6300-025 Spacer Tube .688” x .120” x 1.625” 4
6300-027 Spacer Tube .813” x .120” x 4.375” 6
110313 7/16”-20 x 3” HHCS 4
110303 7/16”-20 Stover Lock Nut 4
110645 Flat Washer 7/16” 8
110451 9/16-18 x 6.0” 4
110453 9/16”-18 Stover Lock Nut 4
110670 Flat Washer 8
6300-030 Aveco Retainer Clip #19418 4
6300-888 9/05 ©

and here's the one from DJM:( what is this???)
1986-1994 ASTRO\SAFARI VAN REAR AXLE FLIP KIT WITH
COMPOSITE REAR LEAF SPRINGS ONLY!!
Please take the time to read these INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS and check the
Hardware Parts List to be sure you have all the listed parts, and the tools necessary
to safely complete the installation! Please read the warranty information (blue
page enclosed). Complete your Product Warranty Card and mail it to DJM
Suspension.
Please take a few minutes to fill out your installation helper (back side of warranty).
Accurate measurements BEFORE BEGINNING INSTALLATION will show any
irregularities from side to side of your vehicle.
NEVER WORK UNDER TRUCK SUPPORTED BY A JACK ONLY !!!
USE QUALITY JACK STANDS WHICH HAVE A RATING ADEQUATE FOR YOUR TRUCKS
WEIGHT!!!
NEW SHOCKS DJM PART #ARS01 ARE REQUIRED. FACTORY SHOCKS WILL BE TOO
LONG.
Hardware Parts List:
Rear Axle Kit Spring Hanger Kit
2- Axle Locator Brackets 4- Spring Eye Lowering Plates (4 Hole)
2- Spring Plates (5 Hole) 4- .62” x 4.8” Spacer Tubes
2- 1\2” x 20 U-Bolts 4- 9\16” x 12 x 6.5” Bolts
4- 1\2” x 13 x 3.5” Bolts 4- 9\16” x 12 Nylock Nuts
4- 1\2” x 13 Nylock Nuts 8- 9\16” SAE Flat Washers
4- 1\2” x 20 Nylock Nuts
8- 1\2” SAE Flat Washers Shackle Kit
4- 9-16”X 1.625” Spacer Tubes 2- Spring Shackles w\bushings
2- Tall Bump Stops

1) Park your van on flat level surface. Chock the front wheels. Loosen lug nuts. Raise the rear with a floor jack in
the center of the rear axle. Support the frame with jack stands. Lower axle to release the tension on the rea
springs. Make sure axle is supported by floor jack .
NOTE : ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS - NEVER RELY ON JACKS ONLY!!
2) After removing rear wheels, remove U-bolts and hardware attaching the rear axle to the leaf springs.
3) Remove the ground cable from the battery. Loosen the screw clamp on the fill tube going into gas tank.
Disconnect the gas tank by loosening the mounting straps and removing the screws attaching the filler tube to
the body. The tank must be moved towards the center of the vehicle to remove the spring eye mounting bolts.
(drivers side). CAUTION - BE EXTRA CAREFUL WITH
GAS TANK. NO SMOKING. WORK IN WELL VENTALATED AREA.
4) Remove the two bolts holding front spring eyes to mount. These bolts will be reused when you reassemble the
spring to mount.
5) Remove the bottom bolts on the rear shackles. Lower floor jack slightly so the rear spring eye will slide out of the
shackle. Remove the upper bolts from the shackles, and remove the shackles from the van. Save the hardwar , you
will need them to install your new DJM shackles.
6) Remove the two bolts from each spring eye hanger. Install the front spring plate (4 hole) in factory holes,
using the 9/16“ x 6 ½” bolts and long spacer tubes provided. Slide the spacer tubes between the spring plates.
Note - snug these bolts only, you will tighten later.
7) Remove the rear axle mounting brackets from the rear axle. DO NOT modify or remove the rubber isolators
bonded to the rear leaf springs.
8) Slide the rear springs under the rear axle, you will need to raise the axle housing.
9) Install the front spring eye hanger between the eye hanger plates using original hardware. Attach front spring eye
to hanger with factory bolts.
10) Install your new DJM shackle to the frame using original hardware, bushing end up. Lift the spring into the
bottom portion of the new shackles an insert factory bolts. Note - snug these bolts only, you will tighten later.
11) Install axle locators on top of the rubber isolators on rear spring. Note - the rubber ribs will fit into the recess
of the axle locator brackets.
12) Lower the rear axle assembly into place on top of the axle locator being careful the steel brake lines are clear.
The axle locator brackets vertical tabs should rest in the bracket welded to the axle. Note - be sure the
vertical tabs are seated inside the axle bracket.
13) Install your new U-bolts over the axle and through the new axle locator brackets. Place the new spring retaine
plate (5 hole) under the spring , the U-bolt will go through holes in plate and secure with ½” x 20 nuts (DO
NOT TIGHTEN). Insert 9/16”X 1.625” spacer tubes between factory axle bracket and DJM axle locators and
install ½” x 3.5” bolts through the axle support bracket, spacer and spring plate and secure with ½” x 13 nuts.
(DO NOT TIGHTEN).
14) Lower the floor jack completely so the axle assembly is in it’s correct position. Re-check the axle
Location, be sure the brake line clearance is sufficient.
15) If you are satisfied with the installation and step 14 is complete, tighten all nuts and bolts at the spring hanger,
spring shackle, and axle locator brackets. Now double check! Don’t miss any!.
16) Reinstall the gas tank straps, screws for filler tube and battery ground. Install and torque wheel lug nuts and
your ready to roll. After a few hundred miles, check all the bolts to be sure they are tightened properly .
I hope this helps ya! :supz:
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Dennis,,thanks for the help. Really appreciate that.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

SSAstro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by SSAstro »

Rebel wrote:Ok guys,,need some help on flip kit install on composite spring. Here's a pic of the kit I sold. There were no directions with these parts. I've never installed one so I'm no help at all on this. Can anyone who has installed one gives us a step by step of install ?
Any help is appreciated.
ok the two plates that have the big holes in the middle go under the leaf after flipping the axle onto the top of the leaf then there should be 4 total plates (if this is the belltech kit) that will move the stock leaf spring shackle down (the Two Front shackles and the gas tank needs removed to do the driver side one) then theres the two shackles that go in the back. I eventually took the front brackets out and just use the rear ones since the djm ones are adjustable but i had to notch the frame for this i can try to get pic of mine and how the axle sits on top of the leaves since now my drop kit is gone except for the flip part since i now bagged it

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thanks SS,,appreciate the info.

VIDEO

ZachZ
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by ZachZ »

Hey SS, I am the guy that bought the kit. I would like to see a pic of your set up please. I planed on notching. If I noch the frame I can leave the stock perches and schakles in right? Just do the flip and leave everything else alone?

thanks
Zach

http://www.myspace.com/ball_zach or http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2963587

Porsche 914 with Chevy V8(Huge balls!)
1994 GMC cargo safari(Large Balls For A White Van)
1988 Astro Project van(Small Balls For Now)

SSAstro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by SSAstro »

yes but i would still use the rear shackles b/c after i did that the driveshaft started to rub on the crossbar where the gas tank strap closest to the rear end bolts in at b/c it had more room to travel with the notch