Block heater installed, new battery... van won't start

Topic author
Shaynelle
I am merely driving my van

Block heater installed, new battery... van won't start

Post by Shaynelle »

We're in -21 degree celcius weather right now and our van won't start. It's a 96 Safari. It was fine the previous two winters, even without plugging it in it started (usually) no problem. We were in Washington DC this past summer and our van crapped out on the side of the road. When we went back to the shop with it the mechanic told us it was the battery, so we bought one at Auto Zone. I think the battery is a piece of crap (it had the same ratings as our old reliable Costco battery) so I want to buy another one from Costco again. I'm kicking myself for leaving the old one as I believe it wasn't the battery at all because shortly after that our alternator went and it's since been replaced.

So, since we had no problems with the van starting with the Costco battery, does it make sense this Auto Zone battery is most likely garbage? I want to pick up a new battery this coming week... that is, as soon as we can get the van started. It won't start even when we plug it in :(

Any other suggestions for us to try?

Shaynelle

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Block heater installed, new battery... van won't start

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Does it crank over ok, nice and fast? Do the headlights come on nice and bright? If so it isn't the battery. Let us know and we can go from there.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Shaynelle

Post by Shaynelle »

My husband last started the van and said the first time he had troubles he used the autostart and it just drained the battery (he didn't realize the van wasn't actually starting and hit it a few times in an attempt to warm the van up so we could take our baby out in it), so he recharged the battery and the next time tried autostart once, no go. Then he manually started the van and it took a few seconds but it did turn over. So I think you're right in thinking it may not be the battery. We had no issues the past two winters, in the same minus degree temperatures and the only differences are a) new alternator, and b) new battery. Do you think it may be the starter going perhaps? Any way to test it?

Thanks,
Shaynelle

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

I've only had one bad Auto Zone battery. Was under warranty.

Check the cables.
Check the cables.
Check the cables.
ALL attachment points

I've seen more starting problems from cables than anything else.
I've seen what was felt to be a tight cable to battery was mostly corrosion holding it on.
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
Shaynelle

Post by Shaynelle »

Thanks, we will check the connections. Being cold enough it could cause some materials to expand and shift I'm assuming, so it makes sense it may just be happening now in the frigid weather. Someone else told me to check the coolant level, which we do whenever we do an oil change but will double check that as well. Any other suggestions would be great, thanks very much.

Shaynelle

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The problem is not in the battery or charging system. The problem is moisture under the distributor cap. My 98 won't start with the remote start right now due to this issue. It will actually flood trying to start and then I have real trouble starting with the key afterwards. I am just too lazy to repair them. Do a tune up and it will be good as new.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
Shaynelle

Post by Shaynelle »

Van still won't start (it's been over a week now) so we bought a new battery at Costco, took out the auto zone battery, popped in the costco battery and the van started perfectly!

So it was the battery after all! It was weird because both batteries have the same ratings... so the auto zone battery must be defective. Thankfully they have a three year warranty but I am not interested in trying them again.

Should I trade in the old one for a new auto zone battery then sell the new one? I want to keep the costco one.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I stand corrected! Can you take the battery back and get a refund?
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned: