What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

If my gas lines look anything like the ones in that pic you posted I'll sell the entire van for scrap metal. I hope everything is nice and tidy and only the pump will need to be replaced. Of course it never turns out that way. If dropping the tank proves to be a difficult task I surely will cut an access door and take pix. Unfortunately I will be buying a cheapo $280 pump because I simply cannot afford anything else. Sucks being poor.

Oh, and I just got to push my van around the driveway by myself (GF is useless) to get it in the right spot for tearing it apart. Good thing the driveway is super flat.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

97CargoCrawler wrote:If my gas lines look anything like the ones in that pic you posted I'll sell the entire van for scrap metal
you spoiled "4 seasons of summer" people #-o
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The plate is wide enough to contact both floor support braces on either side of the pump. 97Crawler, with your van being so clean and rust-free, I would drop the tank and replace the pump that way. I used a couple of 1" ratchet straps to hold the tank from falling when I did the pump in the 95. It was a rust-free van and everything came apart easily. The tank was full too!

If you cut an access hole, there is room between the floor support braces. I cut an 8" square hole and it made getting the pump out then in a LOT easier. I still had to drop the tank about 6" to remove that plate.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I suppose I'll have to decide once I get going at it. It's awesome having a lifted van until you're underneath it having to reach up that much further to get to stuff.

Funny, it's been in the 80's and sunny the past two weeks but it looks like rain this weekend. #-o

Thanks for the info!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

Today the LT got a new exhaust pipe(between the cat and muffler) and muffler.The tailpipe to follow later.I might have made a mistake by buying a aftermarket "white" box muffler and now seem to have the low drone noise at about 40 mph.I am hoping it goes away somewhat after I put on the tailpipe.

Also the drivers side idler was bad and was replaced under warranty.Yepper-the cheap ones don't last very long. ](*,)
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Yelled alot of curse words after my blower motor pooched out. At this current rate I will have built a whole new van piece by bloody piece by the end of winter. ](*,)
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

potskie wrote:Yelled alot of curse words after my blower motor pooched out. At this current rate I will have built a whole new van piece by bloody piece by the end of winter. ](*,)
Use a meter and check the relay. I found that Grumpy's blower was still good, but the relay didn't put enough power out on low and no power on high, while the two middle settings still worked. Might be enough to get you through the winter.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

ihatemybike wrote:
potskie wrote:Yelled alot of curse words after my blower motor pooched out. At this current rate I will have built a whole new van piece by bloody piece by the end of winter. ](*,)
Use a meter and check the relay. I found that Grumpy's blower was still good, but the relay didn't put enough power out on low and no power on high, while the two middle settings still worked. Might be enough to get you through the winter.
If I go under the hood and tap the motor with a hammer it will start running for a few minutes then grind to a halt. Relay and resistor pack check out.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Wonder how hard it is to change the bearings in them and if that would help.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

At this current rate I will have built a whole new van piece by bloody piece by the end of winter.
:yawinkle:

Ain't life grand ? #-o
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Kabey's Van wrote:If you ever want to sell ZZ let me know. I'll come and pick it up.
Peter

I think I made that offer to Peter a long time ago ... heck I even asked him to build me one :poke:
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

He said he's thinking of selling, say's he might need some money soon. \:D/

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Kabey's Van wrote:He said he's thinking of selling, say's he might need some money soon. \:D/

Oh you mean to finally replace the 502 with a 572?
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Kabey's Van
I sleep in my van

Post by Kabey's Van »

I don't know.....maybe a blown 526 Keith Black, but I didn't ask.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

adjusted my non-self adjusting rear brakes last night in the dark with a flashlight.
I haven't cussed out my van that much in a long time.
gott'er done though.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....