What did you do to/with your van today?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: What did you do to/with your van today?

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

The pump is made by Carter:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 52&PTSet=A

Looked every bit as good as the Delco pump I took out. The catch is the quality of the motor. Would have to take them both apart for a real comparison, but how many companies could there be out there making the dc motor for these pumps? Everything (probably even the Delco) is made in China these days, or at the very least using Chinese parts. The pump has a one year warranty. I will be tearing my old pump apart to see what makes it tick. If the motor is a generic size, I will do some research into finding the highest quality replacement motor to rebuild all future pumps. I build custom electronic crap as a career and hobby so I do this type of thing daily.

My van has a thick protective coating of grease and oil since the oil cooler lines are leaking. Keeps things from rusting and freezing up. And living in the desert probably doesn't hurt either. I feel so sorry for you guys in the wet regions. I could never stand to have any rust on my vehicle, it would drive me nuts. \:D/
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by GEJ »

97CargoCrawler wrote:The pump is made by Carter:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 52&PTSet=A

Looked every bit as good as the Delco pump I took out. The catch is the quality of the motor. Would have to take them both apart for a real comparison, but how many companies could there be out there making the dc motor for these pumps? Everything (probably even the Delco) is made in China these days, or at the very least using Chinese parts. The pump has a one year warranty. I will be tearing my old pump apart to see what makes it tick. If the motor is a generic size, I will do some research into finding the highest quality replacement motor to rebuild all future pumps. I build custom electronic crap as a career and hobby so I do this type of thing daily.

My van has a thick protective coating of grease and oil since the oil cooler lines are leaking. Keeps things from rusting and freezing up. And living in the desert probably doesn't hurt either. I feel so sorry for you guys in the wet regions. I could never stand to have any rust on my vehicle, it would drive me nuts. \:D/

As I do research for my 1985 Ole Yellar van,I am finding there isn't a in tank pump for these carb'ed Astro.Maybe you can on later yr vans use a pick-up from a 1985 and a in line pump that way. :-k
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

d3athm3talh3ad
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

aaron--looks like it's in the underhood fuse/relay panel, there's 18 fuses clustered in the middle, horn is the 20A fuse in the middle of #11 ecm-b (20a) and #12 a/c comp(10a)...i can e-mail you the fuse box diagram if you need it...

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

tbhager94 wrote:i took the pass rear tire off to get patched , it has a a couple leaks .
tire is fu*ked so i put the dount on till friday when i can get a used one.
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Gwen, I must have been cold and tired yesterday, cause I read your post went to go look and there it was on the label. Fuse was blown, but even after replacement the horns don't work, but I hear clicking.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

1996astro wrote:97CargoCrawler, that is probably the cleanest tank and underbody I've ever seen in a vehicle that age (mines a 97.) But I live in rusty Michigan. I have had my tank down twice both times praying that the bolts would come out. Anti-seize is my friend. It won't be much longer and I will be under there replacing all the lines.
I was thinking the same thing, and I live in Texas. Sand crabs crawl off the top of mine every time I drop it.

Nice work Gwen, I so want to drop the rear on my shorty! Damn composite springs!
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

d3athm3talh3ad

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

thanks for the compliments everyone...
Nice work Gwen, I so want to drop the rear on my shorty! Damn composite springs!
keep a sharp eye out for a flip kit...i got mine used for a pretty decent price...

today, i drooled over my new-to-me steering column that just arrived...tilt, cruise switch, steering wheel and ignition with keys, shipped out to me for $50...now i'll be able to swap over all the cruise control components from my blazer :supz: also looked at some schematics/vacuum diagrams and all the cruise components look to be the same between my s-10 blazer and van..the colors of the wires, connectors and all, only difference is which fuse is used for power!!!!

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Nothing, I can't find the wrench I need anywhere. Auto stores, hardware stores, specialty industry stores, nothing. Makes me glad I ordered one on eBay this morning.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I'll bite, what kind of wrench?
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Torx E14 box end. No problem finding Torx E sockets, just can't use them next to the U joints on the front drive shaft. Searching for them online this morning I found them on Sear's website, but they didn't have any in store. Calling around to everything I could think of resulted in nothing, but the loss of anytime minutes. While searching online I did discover that a few mfgs make a Torx E12 x E14 combo labeled as a driveline wrench and wouldn't you know it those are the two sizes that the front drive shaft use.

Here's the wrench I'm watching the mail for.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0332830059
Aaron

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I couldn't tell from the pic, is that different than a 12 point box wrench?

name's Steve

Topic author
ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Yeah, it's a 6 point star. Reverse the normal Torx set up, the bolt has the star shape on the outside and the wrench has it on the inside.
Aaron

d3athm3talh3ad

Post by d3athm3talh3ad »

took out my old column, and replaced it with my new-to-me steering column with tilt...now if i can figure out how to swap the ignition switch lock cylinder so i can keep my original key...

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

van looks good gwen, i look at the stance now and think *that's better* .. it's coming along =D>

moved the 99 ahead 10 feet, shovelled, moved it back 10 feet. the positive is, it's a winter of not being exposed to the salt. YAY!...
I'm really reallllllllllly getting tired of this snow. it's the longest winter we've had in years. very cold, fresh snow between 1 - 3 times a week. we usually get a week or so of warm temps every january... not this year. we still have at least another month of this crap. too cold and miserable do anything outside, other than shovel.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Rob, that's global warming. \:D/ :muhaha:

Gwen,
you should be able to switch out the key cylinder. removing it is a particular sequence of events that is remarkably simple if you do them in the right order. However, I found this post at the end of two rum and cokes, so that brain thread is inaccessble at the moment. I think that is one process I totally skipped over when I did the post on my tilt column tear down. I'm pretty sure the info is still resident in my brain. I'll post up as soon as I locate the info. :drinkers:

name's Steve